Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unlimited short-range ammo. (Read 4863 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Unlimited short-range ammo.
Oct 24th, 2004 at 4:33pm

I've finally found it, the ammunition that cost almost nothing, flies straight (over short distances) and leaves no trace.  It is...

ice cubes. 

I've found these to be very strong, to fly well at short range (after fifty yards they seem to get pretty squirrely because of their low density) and to be very easy to find: before they melt, that is.

I tried slinging them at a large poplar tree from about 15 yards as hard as I could: they just bounced off like rocks do. 

My backstop, which is a large piece of hanging chickenwire, didn't shred them like I thought it would. 

The problems come with distance throwing. I couldn't get them more than 100 yards, and I can normally throw 150-200 on my good throws. 

Hopefully this is as new as I think it is, and there isn't someone else out there who's laughing at my "new discovery" Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Unlimited short-range ammo.
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 9:54pm

Wouldn't the ice cubes stick or refrezze to the pouch? Or is this not a problem because of the speed it leaves the pouch? Sounds cool maybe you could make a ice mold to get your weight and shape you like.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Almulek
Tiro

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 12:23am

During WWII, the U.S.A. experimented with boats made of ice.  They didn't use pure water, they used water with lots of sawdust.  The combination proved to be an excellent composite material.  Do a search on ice boats, and you should find a websight that demonstrates the strength of this composite material.  If I recall correctly, they shoot at a gallon jug of this material with a pistol.  The material was so tough that it caused only superficial damage to the chunk of ice.  Another benefit of using sawdust in the ice is  that it melts very slowly.

If I lived in an area with a cold climate near a saw mill, I would find a way to mass produce ice ammo.

Ben

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 2:15am

All these sounds too cold for me! Tongue

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 10:33pm

Cold weather isn't really necessary, as long as you aren't slinging very long.  Had no problem with refreezing.  I'll have to try the sawdust thing.  Might improve weight a little.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 2:24pm

Sand.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 2:50pm

The sawdust thing is actually a mixture called Pykrete.  It was used by the British first actually - national pride shining through - when the man who invented it, (presumably a Mr Pyke) entered a room where Winston Churchill was having a bath and dropped a cube into the hot water.  It didn't melt.  Churchill decided to have a ship commissioned.  The ship worked well and managed to survive an entire summer on a Canadian lake.  The mix is actually wood pulp, as used in paper making, and water, frozen solid.  The ship could survive direct hits from bombs, missiles, &c.  Problem was... it was expensive, very difficult to manufacture, and the advent of the atomic bomb made the material quite obsolete.  Instantly.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 4:59pm

Well... the winter is coming again. Too quickly Sad Fortunately it is able to deliver plenty of ammo. Frost and snow can be allies. The last winter,  when rocks were unable, I used to use the snow-balls, ice-balls, sand-ice-balls and sand-plaster-balls.

Here is the picture of the frozen "sand-balls" formed by the hands of mud from the close sreamlet, frozen outoor.

My dog was ca. 6 months old then, maybe less... Smiley He is a very nice mongrel, kind of a enriched dachshund Wink

A few days ago I tested a few ice-balls formed inside the old splited tennis-ball and frozen in the refrigerator. They were superb! I popped them far into woods, they simply rocked! If I have more time I will describe more exactly how to make them. The way is very simple and quick.

Jurek

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 5:47pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 2:00pm

There is a distinct lack of snow in England.  So winter is just uncomfortable, rather than interesting or beautiful.  Bloody gulfstream.  Nice dog btw Yurek.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 10:33pm

The frozen ball sounds like a perfect murder weapon:

You sling it at your target from a distance and by the time the body is discovered there'll only be a pool of water next to it!

Just kidding! Grin That's a good plot for a detective novel, don't you think?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 7:28am

Indeed, hitting a victim with a ice missile slung at the 10 or more miles would be a perfect murder Wink The missile should be made of destilled water. It would be a perfect murder, but before these posts however. If it happens, we will be the first suspected persons Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2004 at 9:19am by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 1:55pm

I remember watching an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation where Gil Grissom and his team were trying solve a murder.  The person had been shot, but there was no bullet.  Just some beef just by the heart.  Apparently, the perpetrator had actually frozen a ball of beef and shot it with his pistol into the other guy.  So there you go.  Not an original idea, Yurek.  Cheesy

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 3:13pm

Beef. Where do they come up with this stuff?
Does anyone know the density of ice?  Compared to the density of lead, rock, concrete, etc?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 5:01pm

Around 920 kg per cubic meter for drinking water ice. Lead is 11340 (waaaaaaay heavier) and stone/concrete are usually in the 18-2600 kg/m^3 range.

Looks like a great puppy Jurek. Does he fetch? Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 5:19pm

Yeah, icebergs don't drown though Smiley

My dog loves fetching. He just foces me to slinging Grin Often I sling three tennis balls for him, one by one. He gathers them in a one place, in the mean time I'm walking to him, next he brings the balls to me and gets a price for the each one. He is very usefull when there is a dark. After it he runs in the oposite direction and waits for the next throws, etc... etc until het get tired. He would like to fetch stones too, but fortunately they fly much further, so he only observes them. This is a true slinger's dog Smiley

Jurek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)