Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
was king arthur real (Read 9016 times)
knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
was king arthur real
Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:03pm

for all those ppl that like king arthur i think he was real and i will prove it as soon as this thread starts going

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: was king arthur real
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 3:54pm

Of course he was real.  His name probably wasn't Arthur, but there was someone around who caused a lot of trouble for the Anglo-Saxon invaders in the sixth century.  I just don't think he is particularly interesting, to be honest, just another bothersome Celt in a long history of bothersome Celts, nearly all eventually easily subdued.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 4:08pm

his name actualy was arthur cause when king henry the 3rd i think found his coffin they found a leaden cross that said here lies king arthur on the isle of avalon which i now that the abby he was found at is avalon but it said it in latin not english so just so u know

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 12:13pm

King Arthur is, by most, thought to be a number of Welsh leaders who stirred up some trouble around 500-750 AD, from all this a composite myth did sort of start, and was later romanticised, I have no idea about that finding, knight, could you help me find a good online article on it? I haven't learnt much about the King Arthur myth since highschool.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 1:46pm

http://www.fionabroome.com/history/glast5-grave.htm

thats a good one i will try to find more i read 50 sites but only put one in my favs

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 2:02pm

"This marker remained hidden until the 12th century."  Could be a clue to the idea that it isn't actually real.  Arthur legends were reasonably well known in the middle ages.  In fact, Henry VII's son was named after Arthur, and was christened at the Round Table in Winchester (I walk past this everyday and I am doing medieval history at college.)  So, a fake would not be impossible.  Just like the Piltdown man in the twentieth century.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 5:10pm

hmm u r lucky u live there i am going to a medieval history collage also so could you tell me one so i could plan ahead and maybe someday i will meet u but i am pretty sure he is real i mean why couldnt it be real but we have those who belive and those who dont but again dont forget to tell me what the name of the collage is cause i will come all the way to england for it

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 8:46pm

Did king Arthur use the sling? Wink

Wouldn't it be cool if you can prove that he did? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 11:57pm

Wasn't king aurther rumered to be a decedent of jesus in the book "the davincy code"? Or i am i wrong?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 5:40am

I think that is to do with a little theory started a long time ago, supposedly the British Royal Family said they took their place as "Chosen by God" and supposedly a woman who had known Jesus once travelled to Britian...
But as I said, it's been a long time since I've learnt anything on Arthurian legend, so it's pretty foggy.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 7:46am

o i know it well i dont think it said he was a decendent i dont know what he is for somereason i forgot some of the stuff i read

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 9:50am

I am not say anything i said was true i just thought that i heard about it in that book.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 1:15pm

Quote:
hmm u r lucky u live there i am going to a medieval history collage also so could you tell me one so i could plan ahead and maybe someday i will meet u but i am pretty sure he is real i mean why couldnt it be real but we have those who belive and those who dont but again dont forget to tell me what the name of the collage is cause i will come all the way to england for it
  I go to a sixth form college.  The way it works in England is, you go to primary school from 4 to 11.  Then, you go to secondary school until you are 16.  Then you can leave school for good or go to sixth form college for two years.  After that you can choose whether to go to university or not.    But yeah, I'm quite lucky.  I have lunch in front of Winchester cathedral, and walk past various interesting things everyday.  A statue of King Alfred the Great, who defeated the Danes, and whose capital was Winchester (still was up to 1066).  The pasty shop I go to get pasties (obviously) has a sign outside saying "this was the site of William the Conqueror's palace in Wessex", and pretty much every shop has a nice plaque on the outside saying something like that.  Even the lamentable but inevitable McDonalds is in a medieval building (and is unfortunately so themed.)  The college I go to has been around since 1606.  It's quite good for someone like me.

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 8:42pm

You are, indeed, lucky to live in such a historical land. You are also lucky enough to live in such a fine welfare state that you may attend such wonderful educational institutions. Don't take it for granted and do take full advantage of it.
  Here in the states "welfare" is a dirty word and means something a bit different. Our educational system is deplorable, as if you couldn't tell from some of these almost unintelligible posts, and some of the worst test scores in the world.
  Oh yeah, I forgot: Of course King Arthur was real!

IP Logged

Matt
Tiro

uk/nottingham
Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2004 at 6:05pm

lol, king arthur never existed, nore did excalibur and the lady in the lake. Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)