Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throwing KNIVES (Read 2801 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Throwing KNIVES
Oct 10th, 2004 at 9:50pm

Hey, I've started to pick up my old interest in throwing knives, but I need some help.  Anyone out there have vast amounts of knowledge on the subject that they'd be willing to share with an amateur?

Also, the other day I was messing with my knives and I tried something VERY interesting.  I tied a two foot braided sling to the back of one of my knives, which are six or seven inches long and fairly heavy, and threw from oh, fifteen yards.  Every time it stuck point first.  Every time I hit the target, that is.  Someone out there that can actually hit stuff with a sling would really have some fun with this.  I just used nwmanitou's style, but I think any would work.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Matt C

Re: Throwing KNIVES
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 5:41am

Hi, I am not exactly an expert at throwing knives but my technique is pretty similar to the throwing of bo shurikens, it works pretty well at throwing light flat topped knives (like the common steak knife) with acceptable range, accuracy, and penetration (6-10 metres on average, I throw at a 2 by 1 foot MDF board).
The basic technique is to put the knife into your hand so that when you hold your palm towards the floor, the blade of the knife is pointing towards the ground. To hold the knife you wrap your thumb over the top of the handle (near where the index finger grip indent would be on most knifes) and you gently hold the blade using your index and ring fingers pressed sorta into your middle finger, kinda hard to explain. The knife is thrown with a downwards whipping motion, letting the blade slide out of your hand (almost stroking it) to ensure it flys nice and straight.
Sorry if that was a little cloudy Wink

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 11:33am

So Solobo you actually tied the sling to the knife so any piece of leather or string tied to the knife would probably do the same thing?

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 7:00pm

yes, provided there was enough drag.  It seems to work better at 15 yds or very close, in between there enough time for it to spin a littl off course but not enough time for the sling/string to straighten it out.

Matt C. I think I might get what your saying; see if I have it right.
Put hand on table palm up.
Put knife on hand, perpendicular to table, point up.
Close fingers so that pommel is on palm and the tips of thumb, forefinger, and ring finger are near the hilt.
Throw, trying not to spin, just letting it slide out of your fingers.

Is that it?  I'm going to go try it right now.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 7:53pm

well what works for me is this

Now this works well with real big heavy knives, pretend you put your knee on a short fence, you have your throwing knife and your trying to chop off a branch you reach over and chop chop let go. It works well for me with real big knives but i dont know how well it will work for you.

so blade up, bend knee a little, use forearm and wrist.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 5:01am

That's exactly it. It takes a little practice before you can start getting decent penetrations consistently but it's quite an easy technique. I'll go off if I can find a page on bo shuriken throwing, I used to have a really good one.

EDIT:
The webpage is here: http://www.aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/shuriken/index1.htm

This site a few years ago made me grind my own shurikens out of steel bars, but it works plenty good enough with sharpened bamboo chopsticks (hehehe).

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 10:46am

I just saw something else that also  might fit your throwing description... before I was just holding my thumb and first two fingers in a pinching grip at hild, with pommel at the web of my thumb, but I saw a picture of this oriental guy holing the pommel in the middle of palm, and all fingers out so that they met at the tips, the knife edge running along the middle finger and stabilized by pointer and ring fingers, with thumb holding it in.
Hmmmm.
I tried to go to that site, but it said page not found. 

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 12:57pm

solobo, i don't know much about thowing knives but here is a good website that might help. They also have a pretty good newsletter that you should sign up for.

The Great Throwzini Newsletter
by Scott Gracia
sgracia@wi.rr.com
http://www.throwzini.com

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 10:17pm

Did you say how i throw is right? Haha finaly i gave good advice too some one! Shocked

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)