Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bow Woods (Read 9514 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Bow Woods
Reply #30 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 4:04am

That is actually the common consensus among bowyers.  Basically:  Pine, and other conifers, apart from yew, and (some say) douglas fir.  Willow is also very poor - I made a willow bow once, just to see if it was as bad as people say, and in fact, it is.  And actually, it is possible to make a good bow with any wood - it all depends on the width of the limbs, and whether the bow is backed.  So, with rubbish woods, the best design is probably a sinew backed, northwest coast paddle bow style - wide limbs.
  You can definitely live without money.  I aim to prove that.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #31 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 8:47am

yes you can live without money but it is nice to have money. Stupid question for english Do you know how to make your own clothing from skinns or even plant materals? I can make a shirt from skinns but you need to whats the word?..I dont know you have to mess with them. get off the skinn and such.
ok lets say you can make clothing for when yours rips out in the woods. You need salt. you can get salt from animals but it sucks not having salt. I went camping for a few weeks once and all i could say about the food is that it would be better with a little salt.

now with a little money you could emerge from the woods every once in a while get a few neccisaties that you cant find or make. Also it is very easy to use up all the food in one area of the wilderness. Forests are balanceing on a pin adding a large predator into the food chain might upset it and youll run out of food. this is why large predators are spread so thinn.

you could farm and fix this problem but do you want to go out and find seeds? you could its possibul but it would suck. You only need to buy seeds once if you are not a dumbass and you save a little of the crop.

so what im saying is that you could live out in the wilderness without money but it would be hard and the idea is to enjoy your self not to be constantly starved, alone, if you miss so many hunts like say if you get sick then you starve to death. Yep nice to be self sufficent but if you kill all the pray eat all the plants and you have no farm its nice to walk into a McDonads, filthy, whearing home made clothing out of rabbit skins, and talking to your self. Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Oct 17th, 2004 at 11:44am

Alternatively...
  You could learn a lesson from the way native people live.  By never taking more than you need, knowing the properties of plants, &c.  Salt is not an essential flavouring, and there are others out there.  Tools can be made from stone, teeth, all kinds of things.  Sure, it would be quite a hard life, in a way, but easier in others.

IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Reply #33 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 3:08am

Hickory, Osage, Ash and Locust are the three woods that are predominate bow woods here. Locust has been used here to make some pretty tough fence posts...got some in the pasture. They dont rot to quickly.
I have heard a friend of mine say hes used oak, but the bow had to be as long as you are tall...could be a wise tale. I dunno.
He also used a type of  tree related to the locust...cant remember the name but he said its close relation...
hawthorn maybe ???
Hawk

there is no knowledge that is not power

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 18th, 2004 at 1:12pm

I heard of some locust fence posts actually continuing to grow in their positions in the ground.  Oak works, apparently.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #35 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 4:34pm

yep thats true of the locust. I have a stump from an old locust tree we cut down. I set on said stump when we go out back to have a fire. A few years ago the thing started growing branches! and when i tryed to move it it too root to the ground!

I figure i could let it grow, sorta bonsi it a bit and have a living chair with a back rest and all. would be cool for shure. Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #36 - Oct 20th, 2004 at 4:39am

english ur great i agree with you on th money side of things i use to know a man who has a wood and he lives of it if he whould like some money he makes a chair or something and sells it to a dealer learn to make alternative pemanent buildings once you have a place things can start coming togeather alternativly you could join a comunne the downside is you will have to live with veggys or try www.wwoof.org or co.uk keep with it or you could end up as an old man one day saying wheres my life gone until now i never thort there was another person my age whos like me. cheers and keep it up. Any way there is a willow post near my house thats has taken root . Try this in your lawn i once saw a seat in a book made of verticaly criss crossed card bord put on a lawn the gaps filled with mud and turf layed over it when the grass took root and the card rotted it looked like a seat had grown out of the grownd

listen to old people

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #37 - Oct 20th, 2004 at 4:48am

wouldnt it be good if you could plant a leg in the ground and grow a slave or if you stood still for too long and you grew extra limbs, that will be one to tell the kids when i get older a have some,i can imagine''if you stand there to long you will take root and daddy will have to chop you down with a chainsaw

listen to old people

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #38 - Oct 23rd, 2004 at 9:08pm

um i really need help building a bow i have no clue what kind of wood it is but i know its a hard wood i got it from a dead sapling and it is so hard to whittle and i dont know what im doing anyway do i make it flat or round how do i make the string im going insane but i did get a chance to make a nice javlin

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #39 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 8:59pm

cool. english could write you a book on bow makeing. But we already have a book go to the link some where in other primitive weapons there is a topic called whats next on the weapons list. We have lots of bow making stuff there.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

DCR

Reply #40 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 2:44am

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and so am lucky to be where some great bow woods grow. Osage Orange, which is a bit gnarly and hard to work, Black locust, Hickory, Juniper, Cedar (more for arrows than bows) and a few others I'm not familliar with. I made a couple of excellent Native American style flat bows from Black Locust staves I split from a tree a few years ago. I still shoot them from time to time. One is about a 30-35 pound draw and the other is about 50 pounds. Just right if you ask me. Even my modern compound bow is a 50 pounder and I have taken large deer and razorback hogs with it. No need for anything more powerful.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:18am

Well, a modern compound bow is far more efficient than any primitive bows, so a 50 pounder is probably as good as 70 or even more in a wood bow.  I do believe that 50 pounds is enough though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner)