Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bow Woods (Read 9462 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Bow Woods
Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 12:01pm

Bow making process is really something you need to see pictures of.  It is a complex process.  If I can get the camera again, I will try to show how I intend to reduce the ash stave I just acquired to the desired shape.  I find my main problems are in the wood cutting stage - getting clear staves is much more difficult than simply following a ring on the back of the bow, or correctly tapering or shaping the limbs.  Because walking around with an axe, saw and large knives is quite frowned upon, I often have to make do with simply a regular folding saw - not good for large diameter trees, or for splitting logs.  I have often wondered how they coped when stone tools were the only wood acquiring and carving tools.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 6:55pm

wedge and hammer might not look too suspicious for splitting wood.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 8:00pm

where a little bit in the woods around here. where like a town in the woods. People around here dont care about you walking about with a axe unless your on there property then thell mostlikly point a shotgun at you Sad.

I like to use a wedge and hammer to split the bigger logs and to split them more in the center. but i think its great fun to just swing and hit that log as hard as you can. I have to chop wood at home and i sorta enjoy it.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 11:53am

Yeah, I like chopping wood too.  Something macho about it.
  You can't just immediately begin splitting a log with a wedge and maul.  You have to make an initial cut to put the wedges into, which is where the axe or maybe saw come in.  Wooden wedges require reasonably large cuts to get into.  And a large saw is a hefty thing to carry around, and an axe is a bit... odd.  I am in the middle of southern England, where people are essentially quite rich and very middle class.  Densely populated, too.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 6:10pm

i can see someone calling the police because english is walking around the neiborhood chopping people's trees down and shooting at the squirrels and pheasants and slinging and throwing sticks.... Grin
Kindof like the Beverly Hillbillies....

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 10:12am

Yep.  That could happen.  There really are plenty of jerks around here.  Too many conservatives.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 10:14pm

No offince but i realy dislike the rich. There not open enough. there are some who are realy nice, but most look down on me as if i was crap on the bottom of there shoes...I usaly smile and start cleaning my nails with my knife Smiley

we are middle class but we dont turn any one down. We feed any one who will come over and wants too eat. some times we are a little too trusting...But all and all where nice people...I think....

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 3:45am

Yeah.  Donald Trump, or rather the face of Donald Trump, is a target I use for some bows.  I dislike the idea of being rich, or indeed, of having money.  It simply provides complications to an otherwise uncomplicated life.  So why have it?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #23 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 7:09am

Its not bad to be rich (I know i would not turn it down Smiley)
its bad to be rich and think your god. If you have money help those who dont. Andrew Carnage is a good exampel well all except for his town and how his people deel with strikes..

But it is always nice too have money. you never know this untill you dont, trust me on this one  Wink

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #24 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 7:12am

now to put the train back on its tracks

would an apple tree make a good bow? at the orcherd i pick at a tornado picked a tree up out of the ground and threw it ( Shocked) He wants to know if i want it for any thing
what could i make out of the apple tree that would be worth hauling it around in the trunk?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #25 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 9:33am

Quote:
Hickory, cedar, osage orange, and some trees with alot of torns that seams to me that it would make a good bow but sorry i don't know the name. I am in northern arkansas if that helps. If any one can help me name this tree it would be appreated. It is a nomal tree with very long torns on it.

that sounds like the honey locust tree. If the torns  are red than that's probably it. I just moved to Missouri and those things are everywhere. They do make good needles, fish hooks and darts though. I've also heard that the goo inside the seed pods is good to eat. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but It's supposed to be sweet tasting.

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #26 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 12:39pm

Yeah it's torns are red while the torns are still alive. What i have always noticed about the tree is that it makes new thorns and then kill them of so there are so may torns everywhere. Do you know if they would make a good bow?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 1:34pm

Honey locust is related to mesquite, and the Navajo bow tested by Saxton Pope was sinew-backed mesquite - apparently it was quite a bow.  So I'd assume it to be quite good.  Not necessarily because of the sinew - mesquite is very dense wood, used as a club by the mojave, and being dense and sturdy it should make a good bow.  It is also a very medicinal tree.
 Apple trees... might be a little soft.  But I think most fruit trees, and nut trees, make quite good bows - the hickories are nut trees, for instance.  I suppose apple would be sturdy enough.  You might have to back it with something, but I wouldn't think so.
 Having money is not always good.  I don't have loads, and I am sure I can cope without it.  Sure, it's nice to occasionally go to the cinema with friends or something, but it's not something I can't live without.  Greed is a bad thing.

Another little bit about hazel... I found a German traditional archery site where they have discussed the possibility of using hazel for bows, and back it up with proof.
Edvard der 4. versuchte wiederholt, Menge und Befähigung der Englischen Bogenschützen aufrecht zu erhalten.
" Jeder Engländer oder in England lebender Ire sollte einen eigenen, zu seiner Statur passenden Bogen aus Eibe, Bergulme, Haselnuß, Goldregen oder jeglichem anderen vernünftigen Holz besitzen."  Note that the slightly ambiguous "wych hazel" of Ascham is different in German, translated straight to "Haselnuss."  I think that the mere fact they were discussing it shows that it is a viable bow wood anyhow.  I still haven't used it properly.  Tomorrow I will find a good hazel stave.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2004 at 2:43pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #28 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 6:22pm

All i know about mesquite is that if you burn it it makes good tasting steaks!
Being rich isn't bad, greed is, you can't live without money, but you can live with very litte, a lot of money is nice, but it won't make you happy.  That's my take on the 'rich' issue

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #29 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 8:54pm

Maybe it would be better to list the trees that would NOT make a good bow.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)