Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling help... (Read 1333 times)
Holy_Tumbleweed
Novicius

Sling help...
Sep 26th, 2004 at 11:38am

Firstly I'd like to say Hi to everyone at the forums.

I was wondering what sort of length the sling should be , I am 5 ft 7in, I am 15, I have strong arms and have a good throw, I am of an average build abut. I have tried looking through the articles but I couldn't find a guide for the length of the sling.  I am new to this and would also like to know what sling you guys use, I know its personal preference but I am looking for any recommendations. I am not afraid to braid hard things and am open to all sugestions.

Thanks

IP Logged

Lathron
Ex Member

Re: Sling help...
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 12:10pm

you can find it here, i think:
http://www.slinging.org/22.html
it's under "The Construction"

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 1:47pm

...I like best the length from release knot to middle of pocket to be same as length from my outstretched fingertips to shoulder.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 10:14pm

I've been a fan of the heart-to-hand technique.  That is supposedly optimal, but you really need to experiment.  Luckily, cord is pretty cheap.

Chris

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 11:12pm

Holy_Tumbleweed,

The length of the sling you want may also depend on your technique.  I used to only sling with the tennis-serve-style (see topic "Slinging style...video" started by nwmanitou) and a short sling seems most effective with that.  But lately after seeing "My sling" started by John W. -Knollslinger.  I have been praticing the helicopter and fullspin throw which requires longer slings to be efficient.

I have made many slings ranging from 2 feet to 6 feet long.  I used to braid my slings with nylon and hemp.  It was a lot of effort (even though I only braided short ones) and it was heart breaking to see the wear and tear on them.  I now make my longer slings with kevlar cords and leather.   These are much easier to make, the lengths are easy to adjust and they are more aerodynamic due to the thinner cords.  The only shortcoming of them is that because thay are so light, they lack 'feel' if you make them too short.

Hope that helps,

good luck and welcome,

Tint
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004 at 1:24am by Tint »  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 10:16am

I'm one year older than you and two inches higher, otherwise sound about the same, and I use a sling that goes from my chin to the ground, (knot to pocket) made out of leather bootlaces tied to a leather pocket.  I use Nwmanitous style, which I recomend, and for better accuracy use a sling a foot to a foot and a half shorter.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)