Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
big game hunting ammo (Read 64628 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: big game hunting ammo
Reply #165 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:00pm

I must add a warning to the "lead filled cheries" when striking hard items such as boulders they some times explode. So wear safety glasses. Another add in I havent tried yet is hollow 3x1 inch pipe end with caps one drilled add black powder and slow fuse Notice the preamble of havent tried yet. FOR informational porposes only. awe i love these fun ideas

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #166 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:38pm

i am now thinking the staff sling and big game hunting ammo might work better for larger game such as deer. if there was a legal way to manage this

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #167 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:52pm

there we are my favorite big game hunting glands

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #168 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:54pm

Awesome. So how much do they cost?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #169 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 9:59pm

i have given a few away have never sold them lol fairly simple to make granted the broad heads can be rather spendy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #170 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 10:09pm

thought so.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #171 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 1:44am

Something like this,with 1mm steel sheet,and heavier,like 120g ~4oz lead glans could do the job.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #172 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 8:08pm

sweet jlasud  about the same weight I would prefer tempered steel but still sweet. pics of the first deer
much like my first try.

razorball.jpg (7 KB | )
razorball.jpg
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #173 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 5:53am

That's cool too. The only thing is that it has it's weight towards the end,which could fool the flight into a bolo rotation at the slightest wobble at release,me thinks. The good ol' rugby shaped is the most stable for rifled point first flights,mostly because it has most of it's mass in the middle.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #174 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:58pm

that is why i went to the egg sinkers also very simple to make cast the egg sinkers screw in the broadheads I trust the broadheads fror decades of bow expernce. the thought of the other one rotating though the air is kinda cool actuly but to be truthful the dozen or so of those i made they always sunk point first into the targets never had one land sideways

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
really dumb idea... but maybe useful
Reply #175 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 3:27pm

so... what about making a blade, about 1/16 thick, mild or high carbon steel, approx 3" long and 1/2" wide. make it like a 2 sided arrowhead. Or better yet barb it on both sides. then cast a gland over and around it after drilling a hole or two in the steel.
I believe this was tested sometime long ago... but I don't care about long ago. I am talking about NOW.
doable?
Obviously this is extremely dangerous to sling... and would probably ruin slings.

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Re: really dumb idea... but maybe useful
Reply #176 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 4:23pm

Its doable, but why would you want to do it?

I don't think it would fly very good.(because you will have flats) If you are looking to enhance penetrative capabilities for hunting or throwing through stuff, I would recommend just casting a lead gland around a piece of re-bar(round stock) and sharpening both ends to points. No need to drill holes through the re-bar, it will grip the lead sufficiently.(due to its textured nature) Make sure that the re-bar is free of rust and debris prior to casting as this will prevent a clean bond. you will also want to use a flux on the bar. I think you are pretty young, so I would recommend adult supervision, and guidance when doing anything like this. Hot lead, Poisonous flux, sharp steel = very dangerous.       

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #177 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 4:32pm

Squirrel, I think you should pm Timpa about this idea. I also think its a lot of time and effort into something you're literally throwing away. Be careful and have fun Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #178 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:15pm

It's reinventing the wheel. Lobohunter, who used to be a regular here, came up wih what he called "hunting ammo." A biconical lead projectile cast around broadhead arrow inserts. Ultimately he found them to be kinda hard to sling.

Edit: Found and spliced.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #179 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:02pm

The one my little sister and I saw wasn't as big as most of the drawings you see.  We only got a quick glance at it gliding from treetop to treetop.  I'd guesstimate that it  was about a hundred pounds.  Of course we had no idea if it was a female, youngster, or whatever.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris)