Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What material? (Read 2425 times)
Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
What material?
Sep 12th, 2004 at 11:07am

I have just started slinging, and I am wondering what material is best for the pouch.  I am currently using an old leather glove, but it ripped out after eight slings.  It ripped out where the cords go through. 

What do you use?

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: What material?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 1:39pm

Josh, ....see the photo gallery.  Lots of pics of sling construction there.   For myself, I go simple.  Pouch made of x2 strips of sturdy (but flexible) leather (or other material) about 1" x 7".  Each strip punched at both ends, and strung on cords of 1/8" nylon cord.    Pics are in the gallery.

Welcome to the forum!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 2:11pm

Again, I'd suggest JeffH's design - if you can braid.  That way, the pouch won't rip where the cords attach.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 7:23pm

Start simple Josh. It sould like to me you need to get some sturdier leather. What kind or rocks are you throwing, are they big, heavy, and pointy. That could also be your problem. How did you eight throws go? Did you get good distance? And welcome to the forum. Smiley

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 4:49pm

I  threw four big concrete rocks, which were sharp, and threw four little tiny smooth ones.  They all slung really really far,  Actually I was shocked the power and distance.  I think that maybe the big concrete chunks were the problem because the sling's leather ripped out where the cords go through.  They were probably too heavy.

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Josh

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Josh

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 5:16pm

Josh: Don't give up on using leather for your pouches; it really is a great material to work with. Just make sure you are using "full grain leather" and not "bonbed leather" the bonded leather will not hold up. Bonded leather is made by grinding up all sorts of cheap leather and leather scraps then the fibers are glued together. I't then made into all sorts of things like gloves and book covers. Full grain leathers are one piece like the beef wears them. Most of the cheap leathers like swade jackets are made from is either bonded or split hide.

Hope this helps.

WalkingBird, who kept getting a finger glitch.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 8:01pm

Like they said, use heavy duty leather.  I also put those little metal eyelets where the cords go through: seems to work good. Wink

solobo88  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 5:13am

welcome josh
The best  results for me is 5mm nylon cord braided  3 strand with a split pouch  (take a look at 3 strand braid sling step by step in this section of the forum) it's nearly unwearable and undestructible.... split pouch is a bit tricky to  use at first but it works ok with a little of training.

Also i've made some slings with 5mm cord and woven plaster, it's very easy to make and it makes a decent full pouch, so its easier to sling with it. Woven plaster is my 2nd choice for a sling.
As soon as possible i'll post how i make this kind of sling step by step with pics. Smiley

Other materials i've used as pouches are leather, (it's hard for me to find the one who is though and yet  flexible enough, and i find it expensive) 5cms climbing nylon strip and strong canvas but holes end ripping and stones tend to tangle on the cords i've used to tie the pouch.

Woven slings are cool too, but i don't have the patience to make one myself  Tongue

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 4:34pm

I have another question.  This one is for Solobo.  How do you put those metal eyelets?  Thanks for your help you guys.  I am now in the process of searching for heavy duty full grain leather.

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 4:40pm

I have a little tool, shaped like pliers, with a spike on one pincer and a flat circle with a hole in it for the spike to go through on the other.  You put the eyelet on the spike and squeeze.  You might be able to drill a hole the size of a roofing nail in a piece of wood, and then hammer the roofing nail through the eylet, through the leather, and into the hole until the eylet was crimped flat on the leather.  Just a theory, though.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 6:05pm

Thanks, Solobo.  Maybe I'll try that nail idea.

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 9:24pm

solobo where do you get this little tool? Do you have any websites or pictures of it?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)