Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tutankhamun's slings (Read 13822 times)
Ian_Robertson
Tiro

Tutankhamun's slings
Sep 8th, 2004 at 2:26pm

Probably some of you know about this, but many of the records pertaining to Howard Carter's excavation of Tutankhamun's tomb are available on line, thanks to the Griffith Institute. Tutankhamun was buried with a wide range of weapons, including composite and self bows, throwing sticks, and slings. Some limited information about the slings (with photo) can be found at:

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/perl/gi-ca-qmakesumm.pl?sid=149.169.152.78-1094669253...

I hope this link works--I haven't figured out how to embed this using the forum tools....

Best, Ian

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Tutankhamun's slings
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 4:37pm

Thanks a lot for the link, Ian, IŽve looked for this picture many times without succes. The specimens are very interesting, well woven and decorative. IŽll try to digitaly unfold one of them.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 5:47pm

The slings would be more or less like this:

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Ian_Robertson
Tiro

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 6:08pm

Hondero, this is very impressive. What do you use to unfold the image?

Anyway, now I want to compare this 18th Dyn. sling to the one replicated by Graham Cole, based on what I think is a less ancient prototype, also from Egypt. The weaving looks quite similar, except that Tutankhamun's example incorporates a kind of chevron pattern...

Again, good job.

Ian

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 12:38am

This sling, although Egyptian, is quite different from the one from Lahun, which Graham Cole photographed.  The latter was made from woven flax, while this is plaited linen.  I couldn't tell you the exact difference other than it is a different material. 

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 2:45am

Quote:
Hondero, this is very impressive. What do you use to unfold the image?
Ian

It has been rather easy, as the pouchs are symmetrical and in the original photo we have a quarter of the sling enough outspread, than can be replicated in diferent positions with a simple photoeditor. IŽm not sure about the central dark drawing, that could be rhombic or a simple dark stain.

I find this sling most interesting because of its antiquity, almost 500 years before the Lahun sling, and its fine plait, just for a young Pharaoh. Also the shape is different. I imaging the dark zones are colorful and would be great to have a color photo of the sling.

It has been questioned sometimes the egyptian origin of the Lahun sling, that could have belonged to a mercenary in the Egyptian army, an even theese of Tutankhamun could have been plaited by a foreing artisan... who knows... all this is mainly based on the fact that Egyptians seemingly didnŽt use the sling. Maybe an study on design would show if it is genuinely egyptian.

IP Logged

wolfs shade
Novicius

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 2:28pm

I was recently in Luxor Museum and made some pics of this sling. The pics are bad quality 'couse I couldn't use flashlamp, so they are very blur. But maybe they can help. I'm thinking how to braid it since I've saw that sling.

Hope is the mother of fools... but she cares about her children...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 2:34pm

Thank you, Wolfshade,
But would you be willing and able to share the pictures at their larged format? What we did get was enough to make be beg for more.
Please!!!

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 7:32pm

Willeke, you can click on the thumbnail images to get to the larger image.

The most interesting thing about re-reading this page is that Tutankhamun was buried with both a sling and bow.  If the sling wasn't a revered weapon, why would it be in his tomb? 

Chris

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 7:37pm

Another item of note is that this sling is now the oldest preserved sling on record, predating the sling recovered in Lahun, Egypt from by over half a millennia (c.800 B.C. vs. 1323 B.C. - when Tutankhamun died)

Here are slightly cleaned up versions of wolfs shade's images:

Chris

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 7:58pm

Chris,  Good question.....the sling was obviously important to it's owner.  Perhaps it was to be used in the 'afterlife' for plinking at ethereal game animals.   Or perhaps the sling as a metaphor to celestial mechanics, of which the Shepherd kings in ancient Egypt seem to have acquired much knowledge, served an even greater symbolic purpose.

Given that they were intimately acquainted with the effect we call gravity, and were able to overcome it in various ways and in grand fashion, ie. the Great Pyramid.....

Perhaps the lowly sling indeed may have served a higher purpose as a key to knowledge than in it's role as a warrior's tool.

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 11:38pm

Wow, those are amazing pouches.  Going back to the first pouch, how would you make that?  I'm looking at it from a weaver's warp/weft point of view and wondering how you get the warp to curve in an arc like that on either side...  your edges would end up being far apart and the center compacted together...  You of course stated it was Plaited linen... how do you plait something like that?

I wonder what the strength/durability of linen is.  I've been toying with the idea of using some Cambodian silk I can buy in the markets here to make a sling out of to test the durability and feel.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 1:36am

JustBarak,
You can make the warp going round in a curve like that by adding extra warp strands in the middle of your work,
and taking them out of the way when they have done their work. Add and take away by one or two at a time.

For a 'loom' think in card weaving or a simple backstrap loom without a reed.

Adding is simple, just fold the new string and loop it over the last weft, taking out is a little harder, you have to finish the ends by using them as weft or just drop them and finish them later.

I have done something like this in my woven strings, where I also have taken the dropped strings in a braid.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 1:41am

That is ONE gorgeous sling!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 2:21am

Actually flax and linen are the same material. 

Quote:
The latter was made from woven flax, while this is plaited linen.  I couldn't tell you the exact difference other than it is a different material. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Chris)