Send Topic Print
aiming well (Read 1411 times)
Roman_slinger
Tiro

bonk!!

ohio
aiming well
Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:31pm

i can aim kinda good but not to good Angry. so i need so ideas for aiming i can throw a spike kinda good but i cant hit anything with it so help me out if u can

thanks iam new buy the way Grin

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: aiming well
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 7:12pm

Aiming is indeed the problem.  Even the real contest "professionals" pitch at a 4 foot square with a 20" bullseye in the middle, and from distances of just 32.5, 65, & 97.5 feet.   Compare this with archery targets & distances.

Couple things that seem to help are these: 

1/ Use a vertical windup, not horizontal, and the closer to exactly vertical the better.  This means your rock can go above or below the target, but not to the left or right.

2/ When you're releasing dont deviate from the vertical plane of the windup.  It helps to reach out like you are going to grab the target as you release.  This keeps you from crossing your body with your hand and "hooking" the shot.

3/ Dont worry about power.  Just "ease" the rock downrange.  It will go far enough, and you wont mess up your shot.

4/ Find the weight of rock that works for you best, and stick very close to that weight.  Pitch only smooth rocks.   I like about 60-70grams weight.  Others pitch almost 200grams.

Two vertical windups are possible:  Underhand and overhand.  Both of these are shown in video clips on this site somewhere.

Hope this helps!  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:42pm

Remember where ever you hand is point at the en of the release is where the rock should go. If you are using very irregular rock they will ark as they fly. So they goes a lot of accuracy right there.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 11:56am

1. Try to practice with stones that are about the same weight.
2. Try to practice a lot. Muscle memory is very important in this skill. Remember what your body was doing when you missed your mark (then try to forget it), and remember what your body was doing when you got close - and try to do it again.
3. I find it useful to look, and to point, at what I'm aiming at. This seems to put the body and mind together in a reliable way.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 1:14pm

I'd agree with pointing at the target - good to do this with atlatls and spears, also.  Practise is important, naturally, just as it is with every single thing in the universe, but it is equally important to practise even when you aren't - think about how you'd sling to hit a target, and if you have had reasonable practise anyway, you should be able to visualise this fairly easily.  Visualisation is one of the keys.  Also, don't concentrate too much on the actual release - it should come naturally after a time.  Never aim at a general item - not just the target as a whole, but a specific point on the target.  It is best to do that with every single weapon in the world, be it bow, sling, spear, or gun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)