Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Braided sling with a woven pouch (Read 17865 times)
Thori
Descens

Re: Braided sling with a woven pouch
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 6:29pm

Well, I seem to have successfully woven a pouch!  I used eight pieces of jute, which when doubled become sixteen, of course.  I used the weaving method described on this forum with a rather cobbled-up (but effective) loom consisting of a two-by-four and two pieces of dowel.  When I got to the comb, I simply wrapped the weft around the comb itself, which left a 3/8" gap in the middle of the pouch, but I'm not bothered by it.

As functionality goes, it seems to work great.  Now, granted I only just tested a couple times, because it's dark out and I only had one sock on*.  Anyhow, all seems well.  Thanks for all the advice!

* I tend to use my big toe as an anchoring point for the finger-loop while braiding.  It works pretty well if you're limber!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 8:14pm

Pictures! Pictures! Cheesy

I hear you on the big toe thing, and slings with a finger loop are just sooo easy that it's tough to _not_ take advantage. Now if only I had a tail to help me keep things straight I'd be set!

Matthias

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #17 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 8:55pm

Alright, you got me.  Smiley  These are hosted locally, so please don't go slashdotting me:

http://hansenlabs.no-ip.org/weave_top.jpg

http://hansenlabs.no-ip.org/weave_pouch.jpg

The pouch isn't exactly symmetrical, but boy does it hold a load.  I'm pretty surprised by how functional it is.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 11:47pm

Nice pics. I am kinda into braiding sling but what i like about you sling is that it look fairly simple. Could you write up a step by step instritions on how to make your sling?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 12:20am

Nice pics, Thori!  What material is it made of? 

I have braided mine with hemp.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 10:34am

That looks like a nice sling.  I think the cordage is a bit thick, so the weave is not as tight as it could be, but it looks great.  I might try to take some piccies of my new woven slings.  I'll see if I can get some tonight.

IP Logged

Brant
Tiro

BC
Reply #21 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 2:33pm

Alright, this may sound stupid, but when weaving a pouch is the "weft" added in when one reaches the pouch after braiding the finger loop/first cord, or is the weft simply a longer strand that was involved in the braiding? If the weft is added in after, how is it secured in place? Is there a knot that is unnoticeable? Thanks.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #22 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 3:54pm

Thest, here's what I did:

I added in the weft when I got to the pouch.  I don't recall how long of a piece it was, but as you can see, my weave isn't too terribly tight, which means less cord for the weft.  It was probably 10 or 11 feet.

My method for securing it was to 'whip' the free ends around their respective cords (release or retention), which is a fancy way of saying I wrapped the ends around the cords a bunch of times.  Then, I took the free ends and, using a handy yarn needle, stuck it through the braid and then wove it downward through the coils.  This worked pretty well.

Here's an ascii representation:

||||| <-- retention cord
|||||
-----  <-- weft wrapped around retention cord
-----
-----
-----
||||| <-- beginning of pouch
|||||

Once it's wrapped around (going upward), just take the free end, pull it through the middle of the braid, and stick it back down through the coils, like a noose.  I chose to weave it through the coils, but I doubt you'd have to.  If you take your time, this results in a neat-looking series of coils, no knot needed.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 4:01pm

Here are some basic instructions:

I used jute twine, which I got 190' of at Wally World for something like $1.30.  I made eight pieces, each roughly 11' in length.  These I braided normally right up to the pouch, after the manner described in Dan Bollinger's article, "Making a braided sling: An illustrated guide" on this site.  The only thing I changed was that I used a four-strand braid to hopefully keep the cords narrower, as jute is fairly thick stuff (1/8").  So, I made my finger loop with eight of the sixteen (when doubled) strands, then joined back up and four-stranded it all the way to the pouch.

At this point, I constructed the jig/loom in my photo out of a two-by-four and a piece of dowel.  The dowels are cut to length and then inserted into pre-drilled holes via the use of a hammer and lots of enthusiasm.  I then slipped the finger loop over the left peg, wrapped the free, unbraided ends around the right peg, pulled the whole works tight, and secured it in place with a piece of cotton string.  I then separated the strands into the comb, making groups of two, resulting in eight strands of two strings each.  The comb, as the shape of my pouch indicates, was in the middle of the pouch (about 5.5" from the end of the retention cord).

After this, I used the weaving methods described by Hobb and english, which are quite sound - cut a weft (a weft being little more than the piece of material you intend to weave over-under-over through the pouch).  I used a piece 10 or 11 feet long, but you may wish to go longer based on your project, as I said.

Then just wrap the weft around the retention cord a few times and start to weaving.

When I reached the comb, I simply went around it and kept going, resulting in the small gap toward the middle of the pouch.  You can experiment to try and eliminate this fault.  When I finished weaving, I removed the works from the loom and braided the release cord, then took 'er outside and tried 'er out!

I know these are minimal instructions, but I'll be glad to answer any specific (or otherwise?) inquiries about my particular method.  english and Hobb, however, are the Masters. Smiley

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 4:11pm

Speaking of english, do see if you can get some pics online.  I'd like to see some of your work. Smiley

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 4:28pm

Quote:
english and Hobb, however, are the Masters.

Sorry, but I've got to disagree with you there.  Whipartist and Jim Burdine are the masters.  They take sling braiding to an art form!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 11:50am

I am definitely not a master.  I can braid, and weave, but it is like comparing an amateur watercolourist with Da Vinci or Raphael.
  The weft... well, basically, it's added in, about three inches before you reach the pouch.  It is just braided in along with the other strands.  When the strands are separated out and placed in the comb (the way I do it), the weft is just left out.  I like to use a broad needle with a large eye, or even the toothpick on my swiss army knife (if I'm a bit short of large needles) to act as a shuttle for weaving.  Pictures will be soon, I hope.  I will try to remember to do it this evening.  If not, then tomorrow should be fine.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:58pm

That's a really slick way of working in the weft, english.  I use a yarn needle or a long hook made from electric fence wire as a shuttle, which really speeds things along.  I think it helped preserve the warp in my painfully homemade loom, too.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004 at 12:53am by Thori »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)