Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
whats next on the weapons list (Read 26081 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: whats next on the weapons list
Reply #105 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 3:53pm

Oh, English, when your out grazing ...uh, I mean, trying alternate sources of primitive sustanance Grin I wouldn't advise trying Aspen leaves.  They may be nutritious, or they may not, but they taste like... well, they taste horrible.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #106 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 4:32pm

AAAAHHH this is just great!
my staff of locust cracked while i was letting it dry!

now i need to go get more....

well i will try both rawhide and plant fibers. I am into survival in the wilderness and around ohio i think i could make it untill i exasted my food sources. Me and my mother useto walk in the woods and she would point out edibal plants. I still rember all of them becase i still go out and eat them when im going for a walk.

my grandfather has showed me how to make a home made fishing pole (he was too pore to buy one when he was young) and i can fish ok not great but ok. so in ohio im fine but if i ever went to someplace else where there was different wildelife plants, ect.. i would be well screwed. Haha i dont think you could get lost in ohio. You can walk out of any woods given 2 days.

so in my area i could survive but most likeley not in any of yours.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #107 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 4:33pm

any one notice how many 16 year olds there are here?

theres quite alot if you go by peoples profiles.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #108 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 6:50pm

solobo try the yucca plant. I have heard in one desert surivial manual that it will work.

The sinew bow string will not work in very humid enviroment either.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #109 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 2:12am

Yeah, yucca works, I think, but having never tried it, I don't really know.
 Before I got into survival and primitive gear, etc, I had no idea how ludicrously easy it is to survive in England - so many edible plants, other resources... living in stone age Britain was probably not as precarious an existence as is often made out.
 You've never been to Europe?  That's quite interesting.  It's bigger and more interesting than it seems from your side of the Atlantic.  But then, there's more to America than New York and Disneyland, which is what most people here think of as America.
 I think I can tell you about bark-string now I have the time.  It's not difficult:  you have to cut a piece of willow, of different widths and lengths for different sizes of string and different uses.  Use the back of your knife to scrape off the outer bark (save it, though, don't just throw it away), then use your knife to cut a line through the inner bark all the way down the stick.  Then use your fingernail to lift the inner bark away from the wood, remembering to lift the entire sheet off, trying not to make holes in it or anything like that.  (The reason you need the sap flowing is so it is easy/possible to remove from the wood).  Take this sheet of bark and cut it into thin strips, as thin as you need them.  Take the outer bark and put it into a pot with some wood ash and some water, in about equal measure - put the inner bark strips into the mix and then boil vigorously for about ten or twenty minutes.  The point of this is that it strengthens the fibres - it also dyes them brown.  You can use the normal fibres anyway - they will be strong enough for most purposes.  It is sometimes nice to make decorative braids of dyed and un-dyed strands.  Braiding is the best way to use bark string.
   Also... two days to get out of the woods?!  Uh huh... it takes about eight hours to walk through the entire New Forest.  You cannot get lost here.  Home made fishing rods are easy - flexible sapling or very long root, with a slightly fire-hardened tip.  You just put the string (home made too, of course) on the end (no reel) and then sling out the hook.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #110 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:19am

yep that is how you make a fishing pole.

2 days yes but the woods here are not flat. there are shale cliffs, big hills with nothing on the othere side but a small valley. Lots of quick sand (well quick mud) there where big saltdeposits and they left pits big pits that are coverd with vegitation but cant support a man or a boy.

so yes 2 days if your in the verry hart of the woods but that is not becase there are lots of woods its becase you cant climb up a shale cliff with out any gear or getting cut up to ribbons and gitting all that infected.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #111 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:25am

well last night me and my dog took a walk in the woods we use to do this every night and day for that matter but hes getting old and it hurts him to walk that far.  he was felling a little peppey that day...

any way there is a spring in the woods where i walk we go there and get a drink all the time but this water is cold. very cold. if you hold your hand under it during high summer your hand gos num in a few secends. Well last night was around 40 degrees farenhite  not too cold but im use to the 70 of summer soo sometimes i make stupid decissons and i dunked my head under water. I do this all the time during the 70-90 degrees of summer well did it in the 40 degrees of night and i got sleepey so very sleepey and could barley get home my dog saved my life. haha.

aaa yes the slow cold death grip of hypertherma. Not fun but not too bad a way to go.....Better the starving you just fall asleep...In the last few i think hours your nervs die and you feel warm...

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #112 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:27am

Hey where on page 12! is this the longest string? or is there  a longer one?

oh yes what is a stickey topic

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #113 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 1:04pm

I'm quite certain that there is a longer thread somewhere.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #114 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 4:24pm

what happens to the numbers if a thread is so stick that it goes to the end of the page?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #115 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 6:25pm

dont know..

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #116 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:20pm

The world record holders thread has 13 pages, last time I saw it.

solobo88  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #117 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:24pm

Well, I made a dart for my atlatl.  Couldn't find any saplings, but I did find a 1" by 1" by 5' 6" board in the wood pile.  Shaved it down with my knife so the front end was 1" wide and the back about 1/3" wide, still went sideways when I threw.  Added some chicken feather fletching and a couple steel nuts to the tip, threw great first throw, second throw back snapped off, third, split, fourth, broke into three or four pieces.  an hour of work down the drain.  Next time I'll find a sapling.

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #118 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:26pm

Yeah.  Atlatl darts are not difficult if you have a few saplings.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #119 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 10:59am

Well, speaking of darts, does anyone have a blowgun?  I have one of those machined, $10 shiny metal ones that I was just shooting action figures with.  Anyone make them the real way?  With what?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)