Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
whats next on the weapons list (Read 26058 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
whats next on the weapons list
Aug 26th, 2004 at 3:34pm

ok i made a sling and ive made a staff sling. Made a bola and a spear. So any one got any other easey to make weapons? i keep hearing of a atla (or some spelling of it) and would like to make one but have no clue how......... If you have info on making one let me know or if you have any other weapons that are easey to make let me know.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: whats next on the weapons list
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 3:38pm

oh and i just heard of a thing i have no clue of its name but it is a pitch fork like thing that is used in medival times to snap around knights heads then they would pull them off there ride. Umm its got like a spring in it somewhere and the guy using it would slam it onto a knights helm like a bear trap then pull him off i dont know any othere way to say it better. If you know the name tell me i would like to make one.

thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:27pm

anybody here ever make a godendag? And douglas, should you wish to find multitudes of information on the atlatl (my personal favourite weapon, I might add) you can go to www.thudscave.com or google Thuds cave AND atlatl plans or you can go to paleoplanet. Email me for the exact link or just Google it. I'll be glad to help in any way possible

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:32pm

email is jackcordial@cox.net

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 6:19pm

An atlatl is a hinged spear.
It extends your throwing arm and is about 16 inches long- it is a plain stick with a 45 degree angle hook sticking out. Like a perverted fish hood.
You throw a 6 ft spear with an indent in the end to fit the hook.
Hold it with the atlatl and the spear on it in one hand.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 4:37am

Go to www.atlatl.com, and another good website used to be www.atlatl.net, but the artifacts section disappeared oneday for some reason.
   The atlatl is basically a spear thrower.  Although of course, it is a little more than that - go to the website and find out.  I think you'll be glad you did.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 5:04pm

Quote:
oh and i just heard of a thing i have no clue of its name but it is a pitch fork like thing that is used in medival times to snap around knights heads then they would pull them off there ride.

You're talking about a man-catcher.  I don't recall seeing any with springs, but it wouldn't surprise me.  The simplest design is just a long stick with prongs on the end that curve around, making a little more than a half circle, then back the other way, away from each other, for a little way, with a couple of spikes (one per prong) pointing back in towards the center of the circle.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 8:17pm

im sorry i could not get back sooner my internet was down for a long time. Thanks for the atla stuff and any clue how to make a man catcher??

Oh and one topic i started sling hunting some one was talking about making a field bow. i want to try this. I could only find stuff on making a bow that would cost me lots of money and take a long time to make.

thanks agen and if you come up with stuff that is easey to make let me know.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 7:37am

A field bow?  A stick bow?  Yeah, easy to make.  They are just rubbish.  I don't know where you get the impression that making a bow costs money.  It really doesn't.  You do need some rudimentary tools, but mostly, a bow can be made cheaply and still be effective.  "Making Indian Bows... The Old Way" by Douglas Spotted Eagle is quite a good book for cheap bow-making, and "the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol 1".  Mostly, you need to buy books to learn how to make cheap bows - rather than looking freely on the internet for expensive bow-builds.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 8:11am

Never really thought about making a man catcher before. I imagine you could take something like a wooden broom handle and bend some pieces of say, 18 guage steel plating into hemispheric strips, and maybe, if you were truly barbaric, drive a few nails into either side? Attach the steel strips to the handle, and you've got yourself some medieval defence! I still think a godendag, made from said handle, a block of wood, and some metal spikes would be the best, though!

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 2:30pm

I have never seen those books before.

but i will look thanks.

and i will try to make the man catcher if i ever get it made ill let you guys know.

if you have any tips on making one (bow, man catcher, or any thing) let me know and thanks you guys are a big help.

Oh yes what is a  godendag? How do you make it? and who used it? thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 2:40pm

I forgot i would like to make a long bow any thing medieval style.  And you say there not hard to make?? Ha ha i hope so im not that great with making things and i dont want to go get nice wood for a bow and end up messing it up.

I live in ohio and there is a tree we have here its locast and man it lives 5 years longer then stone. I was going to make one of locast first then try the good wood. is there any other wood that could  be found in a forest. Im not that rich and i think it would be cool to find your own wood for your stuff. But i will buy if i have to ive wanted a bow for years now and the internet how to's always put me off.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 3:00pm

Well, a proper medieval longbow is very difficult to make.  If you want to do it absolutely perfectly.  But the basic concept, the D section design, is very easy.
  There are plenty of good American woods to make bows from - locust is actually rated quite highly.  In the south, black locust was the main bow making wood of native American tribes.  Many people say that Osage orange is the best bow wood in America, along with Oregon yew, but it costs a lot, is quite rare (to find good staves, I mean) and is difficult to carve (or so I've heard, having never used it for a bow before.)  If you can find a good, six inch thick, round hickory, then you are onto a winner.  Any hickory will do, shagbark, mockernut, anything.  Even pecan is good (it's of the same family, carya, as the hickory.)
  Other good bow woods include ash, birch and elm.  All three are quite common, and easily worked (although I have no personal experience of elm).  Ash was known as "the weapon wood" by the Lakota.
  Well, for a good bow, use a nice thick trunk - difficult to extract a good stave, but well worth it.  If you can't be bothered, then use a sapling.  Always use the outside part of the tree as the "back" of the bow (as opposed to the belly - think about how a person bends, with their back on the outside, belly inside.)  If you choose to season the wood before working (not the Native American way) then you should be able to see a clear definition between sapwood (on the back) and heartwood (on the belly.)  Never cut through the sapwood on the back.  If the wood is not from a thick log, then do not choose an English longbow design - it won't work as well.  Go for a flatbow design. This means that you keep the belly flat, and the back as flat as possible (although there is, in fact, no need to work it at all).  If you use a sapling:  Split the sapling, as close to the centre as you can, to try and end up with two bowstaves (don't worry if you can't do that) and use the best piece - work only the belly, until it is a nice size for you, and cut out a handle shape if you want.  Pick a design from an internet site or book and try to copy the general shape (but don't do anything to the back.)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 3:05pm

thanks. I never knew that locast was good for any thing but a walking stick (if you de-thorn it) and i will try to make the bow this week end.

Ill let you know how it go's and if you dont mind helping some more if i get lost ill ask you?

but thanks. Oh yes and what should i use for string?
and is arrow making hard?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 3:26pm

Hmmm...... i went to a atla site npaa atlati plans and i did not see anything on making the dart.. So how do you make the dart.

i like the german plans

http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/designs/speerschleuder1-en.htm

but only becase im obsessed with medieval germany

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)