Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anglo-Scandinavian Slings (Read 2069 times)
Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Anglo-Scandinavian Slings
Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:57pm

Just got a chance to look at one of the news books from the York Archaeological Trust's excellent series, Leather and Leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York. Aside from some "crunchy" details about shoes and scabbards in the period, there are some illustrations of some slings or slinglike objects. Heretofore I thought the only sling/slinglike object was out of Hedeby/Haithabu, and here in York we have an array of about 6-10.

Of course, it's ever going to be speculation, since the objects are not fitted with cords, don't show signs of wear, don't have a pile of stones nearby, and are not equipped with owner's manuals. Smiley But slinging is shown in period illustrations.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Anglo-Scandinavian Slings
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:59pm

Can you get some pics up?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 12:55pm

Sorry, if I do it won't be soon; the book is someone else's, and I won't see him until the 11th and I'm not sure he'll have the book.

One note is interesting: they are, of course, leather slings, and most of them have small holes in the center. Where else have we seen this besides the Savage book? Also there are slings where the leather has been slashed, like the Hedeby example.

IP Logged

Tuukka
Novicius

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 8:56am

A number of medieval slings have been found in the past few years from South-Western Finland (only the leather pouches have survived). The pouches are roughly cut rectangular / rhomboid pieces of throw-away leather; they have longitudinal, parallel slits in the center and about 3 to 5 mm holes for the cords at the ends. I don't personally think there's much room for speculation about the original function of these finds - they're slings for all we know. But are they toys or real weapons? I'll see if I can post some pictures.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:54pm

This is the first I've heard of surviving leather pouches in europe.  Do you have any pics, websites, literature, contacts you can share?

Chris

IP Logged

Tuukka
Novicius

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 6:41am

The finds have been published in Archaeologica Medii Aevi Finlandiae IX, pages 260-261.

I have personally handled three of these slings. I have pictures but no permit to publish them anywhere.

One of the sling pouches is wider and more carefully made than the others, has larger cord holes and is cut from a hide, unlike the rest that are crudely made from various old leather items. This is the basis for the assumption that most of the slings are toys and only one of them a true weapon.

There are at least two other sources on early European slings:

Groenman-van Waateringe, W. 1988. Leather from Medieval Svendborg in The Archaeology of Svendborg, Denmark No 5. Odense Univ. Press.

and

Kristensen, E. 1983. Davids våben in SKALK 4 /1983.

Apparently Groenman-van Waateringe pioneered the work of re-interpreting various mysterious leather finds as slings.

I am thrilled by your Project Goliath. I only wish I had had a source like that when I first started studying ancient projectile weapons. There really is a need for a comprehensive volume on the subject. Let me know if you need some help.

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 11:49am

Kiitos, Tuukka!

I have some info from Hedeby on my site.
http://www.geocities.com/baldurstrand/slings.html

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:16pm

Tuukka,

How about working on an Anglo-Scandinavian section.  Sounds like you are already familiar with much of the material, certainly more than any of us.

Would you be willing to mail me pictures and literature.  I could reemberse you for mailing costs.  Let me know, info@slinging.org

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)