Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ammo Idea (Read 2345 times)
BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ammo Idea
Aug 19th, 2004 at 2:50am

Anybody try their local pet store for ammo?  I have.  Undersized tennis balls, football shaped tennisballs. These work great. you could try cutting them open to make cement or clay molds.

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Re: Ammo Idea
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 5:00am

Quote:
Anybody try their local pet store for ammo?

Whoa. At first I thought you were slinging hamsters, or something.
Cheesy

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 3:00pm

BarneyRubble are you talking about the new half sized tennis balls that they sell at Wal Mart know? I seen those the other day and thought about by them. Have you tried them yet? ???

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 4:21pm

If you've  got the dough, those big rubber balls in gumball machines work well and are easy to find.  Rocks are free, though.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 4:36pm

A 25lb box of already-moist potter's clay goes for less than $15, depending on where you get it.   You can form it any shape you like, and to any weight.  Just let it air dry for a day or 2.  

Works great!  And the ones you lose just turn back to dirt-lumps after a couple of rainstorms.

Tip:  Multiply damp weight by 0.85 to get dry weight.  Or divide by 0.85 the dry weight you want to end up with in order to calculate the weight of the damp lump you must start with.

I like football shapes about 3 times as long as they are "fat", and weighing 65grams.  I pitch them point-first & they go like little rockets!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:52pm

Thanks for those weight calculating figures MG. I have never used clay so it will be handy if I ever try it.

David

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 10:32am

Thanks for the tip!  25lbs for $15 seems like a deal to me.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 12:17pm

I like to get clay from the ground.  Because I am a skinflint.  But it's self sufficient and everything.
Quote:
25lbs for $15 seems like a deal to me.
I watched Spiderman 2 the other day, and it said that there is only 25lbs of tritium in the world.  Which is absolute rubbish.  I have tritium in my watch to make the numbers luminous.  Just one more example of how stupid the movies are.  Random comment.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 2:36pm

Way off topic... Grin but Tritium _is_ pretty rare stuff, mostly due to a very short half-life (something like 12 years). Our only useful source is reactors and a few high energy accelerators. As an example of scale, the US hasn't produced any for a decade or so, and is currently keeping it's thermonuclear arsenal afloat (since the stuff decays it needs to be replaced) by scavenging weapons that are being "disarmed" to meet treaty requirements. This isn't going to keep up forever, and they are starting to panic over a need to produce 3 kg of tritium per year.

Explain to me why SM-variety tritium comes in nifty gold dodecahedrons though... Wink

Slinging rocks.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 3:29pm

Tritium is the most expensive commercially available substance on earth (or possibly plutonium, if you know the right people), but it's not that rare.  Only a twelve year half life?  I didn't know that.  My old school had some americium that was no longer americium because they had had it so long.  I love radioactive elements.
  Anyway, clay got from the ground can be just as good as bought clay, you just have to know how to work it.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 5:04pm

Assuming you have clay available.  Back in Kansas, Lake Cheney, I would have had as much of the stuff as I could ever want.  Here in the Rocky Mountains, I've mostly got rocks -- and since we were founded by miners, all the rocks are sharp-edged and new (<200 years old, not yet worn down by rivers and rain).  $15 is a lot cheaper than a road trip to the plains, and I don't have to go back to Kansas! Wink Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)