Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
3 strand braid sling step by step (Read 6434 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: 3 strand braid sling step by step
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 5:14am

Shorter slings tend to be more accurate, longer slings tend to give better range - I think this type of sling might be used in sling competitions, so I suppose it makes sense to use a shorter sling.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:46pm

Quote:
Must the center opening be smaller than the stones to be thrown??    If not, what is the secret to using this kind of pouch??

Any help from fellow slingsters much appreciated!

mgreenfield

split pouch in my slings is about 5 inches , of course  a small rock can pass trough the split hole, but split pouch is intended to hold any rock, even  small ones. just let the rock rest balanced on the two bands of the split pouch. This  may require  gently separate the two bands of the pouch for big rocks, or keep  bands side to side for small rocks.
Tip... load the sling and grab the loaded rock with your free hand, tightening the whole sling before you start the rotation. this will keep the rock in place till some centrigugal force is achieved.
If you make split pouch too long, it's a lot more difficult to handle, and rocks can fall from and trough the pouch or get entangled in it.
a.s.a.p. i'll post some pics of how rocks are placed in the split pouch., but i think this explanation will  be helpful enough.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:51pm

Quote:
The Sierra Nevada Mountains!?? Shocked  Do you mean in Nevada and California, US?  That's where I live.

lol no, this are in the south of Spain,  long far away from Lake Tahoe,   and La Ponderosa  Bonanza!
Bet some spanish guy  missing a lot his mountains put the same name to that mountain range.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:01pm

Quote:
Zorrro,

This is a nice article and a nice honda to boot. I suspect you are in Spain somewhere--where are you, and is this a typical sling for the region? I will have to make one and learn to use it.

Saludos,

Ian

yes Ian, i'm in Granada City (somewhere in the south of Spain)and this is the way slings are made here , but shepards use natural fiber cord, mostly pita (agave americana) or esparto (spartium junceum).
But almost any cord is suitable for making this tipe of sling

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:12pm

Quote:
Zorro, ....what happens to sling performance if you do NOT make the release cord thinner and thinner as you braid it, .....like a whip (latigo)??   Thanks  mgreenfield

I really don't know, this is just the way slings are made here, and i think old designs are thoroughly tested with the time.
I think it may increase release cord velocity and this way not interfere (does that word exist?) with stone trajectory. Or may be it's just a sound device to get the atention of sheeps  or scare out human or animal targets... who knows.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:54pm

Thanks, Zorro!  Right now, I'm just trimming the release cord slightly longer than the retention cord and whipping the end with a shorter length of cord.  My slings are coming undone pretty quickly.  Guess I'll have to try your way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Kick)