Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
3 strand braid sling step by step (Read 6432 times)
Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
3 strand braid sling step by step
Aug 15th, 2004 at 12:16pm

1.- Materials:
CORD  i use 5mm nylon, but it can be anything else suitable, wether natural or synthetic.  5 mm makes a decent pouch
thinner cord will make a slim pouch thus a bit more difficult to load.
PAPER CLAMP  or something to hold cord in place at the beginning, i.e. a clothespin.
THREAD AND NEEDLE  Use a strong thread (i.e.gütermann M1003 100% polyester)
KNIFE or cutter or scissors whatever you're comfort with
LIGHTER to melt the nylon/plastic fibers when trimming the cords of the release cord.

^some of the materials used

^detail of the nylon cord i use

2.-STARTING
We need 3 pieces of cord, depending on the materiial used, thickness, stiffness and lenght of the sling we want pieces will be shorter or longer, as an orientation, with the cord i'm using you'lll need about  3x6.5 m  for a sling of 112cm  or 3x2.6m for a sling of 46 cms.(the one in the pics)
Place the 3 pieces of cord paralel each other with ends aligned towards yourself.
Find the middle of the lenght of cords, and place the paper clamp.

3.-Starting to braid the finger/s ring

Once you've braid the desired lenght  (nylon braid gets tight with use, so be gentle) unclamp the paperclamp and  make a loop joining the free cords

4.- Now start to braid the retention cord (3 strand braid of 2 cords each strand) to the desired lenght.

5.- Now we are going to braid the split pouch , we separate 3 cords each side ...

...and  we braid 2 separate braids

Once we have done the split pouch to the desired lenght we join again the 6 free cords...

6.-...and start to braid the release cord .

While we are braiding we need to trim one of the cords (one of the central strand of 2cords) to make release cord thinner llike a whip (latigo)
and we melt the cut zone with the lighter so fibers don't get loose.

We continue braiding for some lenght (3 strand braid 2 of the strands are a couple of cords and one strand is single)and trim again one of the central strand of 2 cords

we continue braiding (2 of the strands are single and 1 a couple)and we trim the last couple strand.

We continue braiding the 3 left cords to the desired lenght of the sling.

note the trim points in the central strand along the release cord of the sling.

and a closer view of the trim points

7.- Now here comes the sewing part... 1st we sew the end of the release cord and we leave some free cord for the fluffy tail

and now we sew the trimmed points to his strand fellow... so it wont unbraid when slinging.

here is the stiches done

8.- and now the fluffy tail... we disgregate the fibers at the end of the sling release cord...

then we trim some of the fibers to give it a flame form, and here is the sling done.

^ This is a short  sling (46 cms) intended for increase accuracy at short/middle ranges , this is  about the lenght i've seen some shepards using here in Sierranevada mountains.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: 3 strand braid sling step by step
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 11:30pm

Very nice work! Thank you.

Does this give you enough to hold for the release node?

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 8:03am

Quote:
Does this give you enough to hold for the release node?

Yes David_t  i hold the sling in the way it's shown in the last two pics under the topic "my new sling"... it's comfort to hold even slinging big rocks.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 9:59am

yes, but you do have to hold on tight. I was used to having a large knot to hang onto, so when I used this sling a couple of times the rock came out prematurely. Once I got the hang of it, it did awesome.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 6:13pm

Zorrro
Nice photo article. I likes it.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Ian_Robertson
Tiro

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 3:20pm

Zorrro,

This is a nice article and a nice honda to boot. I suspect you are in Spain somewhere--where are you, and is this a typical sling for the region? I will have to make one and learn to use it.

Saludos,

Ian

IP Logged

brug
Tiro

Laß Steine sprechen!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 2:02am

Nice article, I like this kind of sling.

brug

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 7:48am

I think the cord is too thick for me, but the design is great.  I have quite a few like that, and I have sold some to my friends.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 2:57pm

I don't care for the big string either but you could proably be able to handle bigger rocks without it breaking. Also the big cord is good for the article, You can see it better.  Grin

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 4:41pm

Zorro, ....what happens to sling performance if you do NOT make the release cord thinner and thinner as you braid it, .....like a whip (latigo)??   Thanks  mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 2:51pm

Well, even old Greenie can braid a sling from these great instructions & pictures!!   My sling is about 125cm long.  It is tapered, has the fluffy end, and even whip-cracks, so I'm pretty pleased.

BUT, something is wrong!  I must have made the split pouch too big.  Everything falls through the center opening long before I am ready to release it!!   Not good!

Must the center opening be smaller than the stones to be thrown??    If not, what is the secret to using this kind of pouch??

Any help from fellow slingsters much appreciated!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 10:32pm

The Sierra Nevada Mountains!?? Shocked  Do you mean in Nevada and California, US?  That's where I live.

solobo88  
IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 11:25pm

Yes I believe a slightly shorter pocket will hold the smaller rocks much better.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 4:49am

The Sierra Nevada mountains, Spain.  You ever heard of shepherds in the Sierra Nevadas, USA?  Especially some using slings.
   A smaller pocket would indeed hold the stones better.  It is a common mistake for a beginner with a split pouch to believe the stones would fall through, and this is true if you make the pouch too wide.  However, making the pouch too narrow means that the ammo will fall out also.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 4:45pm

Sierra Nevada, Spain, OK. Wink  No, I hadn't heard of any slingin' shepherds here, but ya never know...
I noticed that a lot of the instructions for braided slings make short slings, only a foot and a half long (folded).  Is that a common length?  I learned with a sling about a yard long (again, folded) and it's hard for me to throw with the shorter slings.   ???

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)