Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nunchaku (Read 5080 times)
Hobb

Denver, CO
Nunchaku
Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:57pm

I know there was a thread earlier about the flail, but what about nunchucks?  Any other chucksters out there?  I've got several pair -- wooden w/leather thongs, Hard rubber w/chain, a pair of telescoping aluminum chucks with a belt pouch, and a bunch of foam ones.  I'm even getting to where I can hit stuff without them bouncing back and knocking me out!  They're a little like the sling -- simple design, difficult to master, and devastatingly effective in the right hands.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Nunchaku
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 6:03pm

How far can you throw one?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:11pm

Um... Never tried.   ???

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:53am

Throw nunchakus? i thought it was only for whipping

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 8:39pm

Try it. I used to throw manrake chain ( a chain with to weighted ends) it workd good so i figured that the nunchaku would work good to.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Rana_Palantir
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 6:04am

Yep! I work with 'chucks, too. Only have one pair, a wooden one, but got the 14" sticks, rather than the standard 12" (or whatever the actual numbers are).  They're fun, and they can be useful -- but so hard to actually use.

I've thrown min ea couple of times -- but never on purpose.  Grin

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 3:03pm

I was starting at a new Martial Arts school when the senior instructor asked me if I'd ever used nunchucks.  I took the hardwood pair from him and proceeded to dazzle him with a series of flips, passes, and wrist-rolls.  Obviously impressed, he picked up another pair and said "That's great!  All we ever do is the basics," and spun his set in a basic figure 8 pattern, but really fast.  Smirking, I proceeded to twirl mine in a figure 8 pattern, just as fast, and said "Sure, you've got to get the basics down before you..."  That's when the business end of my sticks took a slightly different trajectory than anticipated, connecting with my elbow with a rather loud  -- and extremely painful -- "Thwack."  I've never smirked in a martial arts studio since. Embarrassed Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 1:31am

speaking of "chucks" there is a style of hurling that use's the figure rotation I like it because in one rotation you can deside if you going to release overhand or under hand
this type of hurl might be dificult  for some one with no chuck experince. but for chuckers it is a blast

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2004 at 12:02am

Quote:
I know there was a thread earlier about the flail, but what about nunchucks?  Any other chucksters out there?  I've got several pair -- wooden w/leather thongs, Hard rubber w/chain, a pair of telescoping aluminum chucks with a belt pouch, and a bunch of foam ones.  I'm even getting to where I can hit stuff without them bouncing back and knocking me out!  They're a little like the sling -- simple design, difficult to master, and devastatingly effective in the right hands.

I just bought a bunch of 4D size flashlights.  These are solid aluminum models that are tougher than billy clubs.

I was thinking of modifying the screw in part at the end of two of the flashlights so that they would be joinded by a chain or cord.

NUMCHUCKS.. BUT THEY LIGHT UP!

COOL?

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2004 at 3:16am

Yeah, they'll make a cool show in the dark!

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2004 at 5:29am

I make my own chucks out of inch thick, foot long lengths of red oak (or occasionally pine). I prefer chord joined nunchaku, they are just a little more easy to handle...and I like them thick and untapered. Lots of people only like the chain ones because the store-bought chord ones tend to wear down after a few months, or they just like the sound of chains.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2004 at 7:19pm

I like the sound of chains. Not too mention that you see cord you think:
hey if i got to block a sword hit the cord will break.

i dont know why people think that. I dont think any of them will have too wory about being abel to block a sword hit.  Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 9:51am

The Okinawans used nunchaku bound by tightly weaved horse tail hair and/or silk, it was said to be able to block a sword and didn't wear down that much. Now...just to find some horses locally *cough*.
Thats another thing I find strange, lots of people want weapons they will only decorate or practice with razor sharp, personally I'd prefer using an unsharpened Wu Jian or especially a kama to practice with... mostly because I don't want to end up chopping my own knees off Tongue

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 5:05pm

I like to use a big lead maul, too practice with. When im done i switch too my light(er damn thing is still heavey Grin) war hammer.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 10:36pm

I think people like to practice with sharp weapons for the fantasy aspect.  You want to believe that, should the need arise, you'll be able to defend yourself or others with your weapon of choice, and you want to practice with the weapon you'd use for defense so you'll be most proficient with it.  The improbability of ever needing to defend yourself never really enters into it. 

My favorite pair is oak, tapered, on it's second set of leather cords (I wore out the first nylon cord and the first leather replacement).  The ones that get the most use (or used to, when I practiced regularly) are my hard rubber chucks with chains -- like tire rubber with a heavy core.  They're not as fast, not as smooth, and not as nice-looking, but I've got two pair, so I can flip them with both hands.  It looks really cool until I hit myself!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)