Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back From Hungary (Read 1648 times)
english
Ex Member

Back From Hungary
Aug 12th, 2004 at 4:50am

Hungary is quite a fantastic country.  I went to Budapest, which was quite nice as cities go, and it still had some good communist stuff lying around - the old ministry of agriculture has a statue outside of it showing the typical communist farm labourer, chisel-jawed, with an enormous scythe.  And there was a Soviet war memorial, which was impressive.  I went to the Puszta, which is like a proto-Central Asian Steppes, where people live in rude huts, basically, farm and go about like Steppe nomads.  I bought a braided whip there, just like one of JeffH's whips.  It was a style of whip used for centuries.  Nice crack on it, sounds like gunfire.
  The hotel was stuck in the seventies, to be honest, and musically Hungary is a bit behind the times; think "The Final Countdown" and "Eye of the Tiger", and maybe something by Bachman Turner Overdrive.  Lake Balaton was rather overrun by Germans, for whom it is a major beach destination.  Coming from an island, it is difficult to see why someone would travel large distances to go to sit by a beach on what is probably the most polluted, tacky, brown lake I have ever seen.  I'd rather swim in lake Superior.
   But the north was lovely.  Went to Ukraine for a day, which was quite depressing.  There was a restaurant called the "White Stag" which was a game restaurant - on the walls, there were deer, wild boar, wild duck and many other skulls, as well as guns, crossbows, etc.  Fantastic restaurant.  Eger, where we stayed, is a very wine-oriented region, famous for it's Bikaver, or Bull's Blood.  It is widely considered to be some of the finest wine in the world, along with Tokaji.  But I did hear some American tourists complaining that the wine list only had local wine.  How idiotic.
  I bought a fur hat, because summer is when they are cheapest, and basically I had a great time.  No slinging though.  I didn't have any time too, and the rocks were all poor quality granites, flints, etc.  Not good for slinging.  I did a bit of archery though, using traditional Hungarian gear - the bow was a little strong for me, at around 80 pounds.  I shoot normally at 65 or 70.  Still, it was a lovely bow.
  If anyone does go to Hungary, don't go to lake Balaton, because it is basically like Southern Spain with Germans, if you know what I mean; tacky beach resort where drinking lots of crap drinks, listening to a lot of trance music and getting tanned are the primary pre-occupations.  Not nice.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Back From Hungary
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 10:26pm

It's amazing how you can put a negative spin on everything.   Tongue

Welcome back.
Chris

IP Logged

moss
Tiro

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 3:23am

Hello english,

I feel you need to visit Southern Spain.  One or two coastal eastern towns do not spoil an area larger than Scotland. 
I think you are missing out on a lot of history, culture and beautiful countryside as well as the chance to meet some wonderful people.

I would have to agree with you with regards to your music comments though, the same applies to Latvia   Wink

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:02am

By Southern Spain, I mean the Costa Del Sol, and basically anywhere inhabited by almost 100% British expats.
  Thank you Chris.  It was a lovely country, really.  People were absolutely wonderful, nice scenery, nice baroque towns.  I think I was putting a negative slant on it to discourage people from visiting and spoiling what is a wonderful country into a tourist trap.

IP Logged

moss
Tiro

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:15am

Hello english,

"basically anywhere inhabited by almost 100% British expats."  Would that include Gibraltar?

I would quite agree with the Costa Del Sol comment though. Some expats have cast a large dark cloud over what could be a very nice place.

Thankfully the Spanish government are starting to try and improve the situation, but not fast enough.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:17am

No, it does not include Gibraltar.  Because Gibraltar IS British; ergo, no expats, just citizens.
  I think the problem is that the Spanish government makes a lot of money out of expats, so any measures will be halfhearted and consequently slow.

IP Logged

moss
Tiro

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 5:05am

Unfortunately it appears you need to visit Gibraltar too

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 12:27pm

Gibraltar may be horrible, but it is British, so if Brits live there and crud it up, then it doesn't matter so much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)