Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Article: Physics of sling / Advice for beginner (Read 3614 times)
Alsatian

Article: Physics of sling / Advice for beginner
Aug 10th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Hi warriors !

I’m slinging since some months. It is really unbelievable and fantastic how far it is possible to throw a stone just with your own force when using a sling !

I was interested in how slinging physically works (especially also because at the beginning my range wasn’t what everybody was speeking about). So, now I’ve written an article - already posted by chris - with some physical formulas (addition of velocity, centrifugal force...). Of course the formulas, just written as text, are cumbersome. At a blackboard they would be much nicer and easier to understand. I’ve also added some pieces of advice for beginners (in order not to get their own stones on the head).

Alsatian

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Article: Physics of sling / Advice for beginne
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 8:12pm

Welcome !!

I will check it out---Thanks

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 8:22pm

Welcome Alsatian

Thank you for your effort. Looks like you are skilled physicist and mathematician. We have just started the thread about physics of sling. I'm sure you could be very useful. So please, register your nick and start sharing.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Alsatian

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 7:13pm

Hi Yurek !

Thanks for you praising words. But I’m surely not very skilled. First, most of what I wrote in my article is just trivial - as my first explanation model for the velocity addition - or is basic physical formulas one finds in every book. The only (simple) equation I developped myself cost me too much time. A skilled physicist or matematician would probably find it in a few minutes. From what I saw in the project Goliath I think that you are probably more skilled than I.

And as you are not only skilled in theory but are also a very skilled practitioner, I have some questions about you long range shots of the magnitude 400m. How long is you sling ? What is the weight of you bullets ? And what interests me most: How many rotations do you use to get you long ranges ? To get 400m you need a release velocity of 63m/s in the vacuum (or even more if the release angle isn’t 45deg). That is 4 times the velocity of the fastest hand motion. And as you are not throwing in the vacuum but in the air you even need a much higher velocity. Admitting you need at least a release velocity of only 80m/s, that is 5 times the velocity of the fastest hand motion. As you are probably using a rather long sling you will probably mostly accelerate you sling in forward and backward movements (whereas with a very short sling vertical movements could also be used in a more important part). So, in my opinion, you need at least 2.5 full rotations or rather 3 as the air friction is probably higher as I supposed and not all you hand movements will have the maximum possible velocity.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 8:35pm

Alsatian, ....here's the "nut" to successful slinging.

1/ Any turns just keep the cords taut, and move the sling "into position".
2/ From "the position", it is a near whip-like snap that accelerates the stone before release.

I wish I could describe for you "the position".   It's just something you learn to feel.   My longest pitches are almost always from the slowest wind-ups.   I use almost x2 turns to release.  Some slingsters use more.  Some use none.

Hope this helps.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2004 at 8:12pm

Alsatian,

Maybe, you could find the answers in the scond part of the article I have just posted. It will be continued.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=project;action=display;num=10...

The last stroke is the most important in order to get a high velocity (just the same like in the case of atlatl or staff sling without cords). The intial rotations needn't be as very fast as you think. They give only some suitable initial velocity and cetrifugal force for starting the final stroke. It is necessary in order to make the torque and keep the trajectory sapcious and curved  during the pulling the cords.

The max. lenght of a sling I use is the 50". I use to make one or more initial rotations, but the last one (just before the stroke) is always crucial.

Greetings,

Jurek
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2004 at 5:02am by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2004 at 3:24pm

I would add that it is imperative that one release as near to a 45deg. angle of inclination from horizontal as possible when  launching ellipsoid ammo which spins about it's longitudinal axis.  Such axis being parallel to the direction of travel.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2004 at 6:28pm

TechStuff,

Indeed, it seems to work in that way in practice.

Jurek

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 8:21pm

Yurek

You picture 4 describes very closely the style I use currently. Mgreenfield is completely right when he says that a whip-like movement is the nut of slinging and that no whole rotation is necessary. He wants to contradict me but in fact what he says is not a contradiction to my explanations (even if just to compare the sling motion to the motion of another device is not a description in physical terms). Myself I sling exactly in this way: a whip-like movement without preliminary velocity ! I stopped to do complete rotations very soon because it was too tiring especially if you do hundreds of shots in a row. To shoot, I start with my sling hanging downward, I put my hand a little bit forward, then begin to move it backward, upward and end with a fast movement forward. The backward and upward motion put the sling into position but also gives me the necessary preliminary velocity to which the fast movement forward is added. For the onlooker it looks like a whip-like motion. And with this style I still get ranges around 80m. (But in fact I don’t use this style for range but instead to shoot at a target at 25m - with an orbit which is only slightly curved.)

Some time ago I tried to apply my „addition of velocities" theory too strictly. My style consisted of just a fast movement backward and a fast one forward. But I got timing problems. Because my snap forward was often too early, instead of getting an addition I often rather got a subtraction of velocities (as my snap already began when the sling had not yet travelled enough backward). So, to correct this timing problem, my hand had to wait until it fell the sling in the right position for the fast snap forward. But I too often missed the right position to begin the snap forward. I realised that the best thing is to begin with a moderate acceleration backward which I increase always more, the hand going upward and at the end forward with the maximum acceleration. So, instead of adding two fast velocities, now I rather apply a continuously accelerated acceleration in a curved motion. Of course in a bit simplistic explanation I could still say that I add the absolute value of a little velocity vector backward, the absolute value of a little velocity vector upward and the absolute value of a bigger velocity vector forward. That explanation is true enough to explain in a few words to a curious onlooker how the whole thing works. And of course you can describe each shot with a sling as the sum of an infinite number of infinitesimal straight accelerations of you hand. So theoretically at the end you could have a very accurate description of the sling movement. The problem is that you won’t find a closed solution and you will have to use complex mathematical tools as Taylor series (which implies that you have to make approximations depending on how exact you solution should be)... So, to explain in a book in a manner understandable for everybody how a sling works principally the simplest model is still my first explanation model (described in my article): Preliminary velocity vector upward where a velocity vector forward is added (overhand style).

Just to show you how complex it would be to find a mathematical solution for a given shot with the sling: Just a few days ago I saw the mathematical solution for the motion of a pendulum (for which I have given the equation in my article) in a physics book. But in this case this wasn’t just the trivial solution for little angles but the special solution for a pendulum which starts from the horizontal, falls down and moves up on the other side until it reaches again the horizontal. The whole solution went over several pages where complex mathematics as Taylor series were used. (And all this just for one special solution!) As any shot with a sling is more complex than this very simple pendulum movement, you can imagine the lot of work just to describe one special shooting pattern.

There could be still a difference between my style and the explanation with picture 4. You say that at the end you arm is stretched forward. Instead, I sometimes have the impression that in the end phase of my throws I tend to shorten my arm and that this adds a lot of velocity. It seems that here the principle of constant angular momentum for a central force is partly applicable.

I can imagine that with a bit of practice with the whip-like style with no prelimirary velocity one is able to reach 100m. But in my opinion - unless you are a giant - much more will not be possible. I’m sure that if one really wants to get high ranges - 200m or more - this style can’t give enough velocity. And in fact, you write that you use one or more full rotations. I expected that you need at least 2.5 full rotations. But, of course, first my addition of velocity theory is only a coarse approximation. Second: Probably you also throw a stone much farther than just 25m without a sling (which is my standard assumption for an average person).

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried to get a maximum range with a whip-like movement and no preliminary rotation of the sling and of course the range he got.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 11:18am

Describing the final revolution as "whiplike" may be misleading. My body surges backward and forward as the sling's path turns from a circle into an ellipse...

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 6:16pm

Douglas
When doing a shot my legs are spread. At the beginning my weight is on my back foot and at the end it is on my front foot. So it’s probably similar to you movement in the end phase of a shot. (That is probably the same for most of the slingers.)

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 2:36pm

Alsatian,

Quote:
You picture 4 describes very closely the style I use currently...

That picture doesn't ilustrate any definite style, only shows a behaviour of the cords (changing the angle of their deviation), and the stone trajectory during the final stroke. Imagine that a slinger makes the stoke in the horizontal plane.  Of course, it is a simplification in order to show the idea on the plane surface. It doesn't a matter what style a slinger uses, nitty-gritty is the same - the cords should make the additional clear turn around the palm, if he wants to get a really good shot. So, a preliminary motion of a sling should be enough quick in order to get a initial tension of the cords, but shouldn't be too quick, because it causes permature "escape" of the cords, hence a slinger can't pull them efficiently. I compared the centrifugal force to a spring which have variable rigidity. That rigidity grows up like square of the tangent velocity and the "spring" tries to erect the cords more and more during the acceleration. The trick is to chose such kind of initial motion, either trajectory or velocity, in order to get the suitable big initial angle of the cords deviation (the optimal range of the pulling angles depends on the L/R ratio), and don't let the cords to erect early, because it reduces your ability of acceleration of the sling and extorts permature release. Of course, the quicker slinger, the bigger can be the initial velocity of the stroke.

Imagine a running trolley with a spring on its back. If you want to accelerate it, you should overtake it in order to push (compress) the spring as very as possible in the first stage of acceleration, since you know, that in the next moment you don't be able run more and more quick and push the spring. When your acceleration starts became smaller and smaller, then the spring will start its work and give the stored potential energy back to the trolley, driving them additionally. I needn't say, what happens when the initial trolley velocity is bigger than your max. speed Smiley In case of sling is similar. If initially sling isn't too quick, you are able to "compres the centrifugal spring", that does its work when sling becames  too quick for your hand. In opposite case, you simply don't keep up with the sling and your joints, tendons and muscles take almost entire part of the unused kinetic energy on themself and the shot is poor. It also can hurt, we know.

Quote:
Mgreenfield is completely right when he says that a whip-like movement is the nut of slinging and that no whole rotation is necessary. He wants to contradict me but in fact what he says is not a contradiction to my explanations (even if just to compare the sling motion to the motion of another device is not a description in physical terms)...

I dont't think that Mgreenfield intended to contradict you. From your article and earlier post one could get an impression, that you overvalue an importance of speed of premilinary rotations for building the final velocity. I have got such impression too.

You wrote, for example:

Quote:
To get 400m you need a release velocity of 63m/s in the vacuum (or even more if the release angle isn?t 45deg). That is 4 times the velocity of the fastest hand motion...

or

Quote:
So, in my opinion, you need at least 2.5 full rotations or rather 3 as the air friction is probably higher as I supposed and not all you hand movements will have the maximum possible velocity.

As I know the fastest hand can reach velocities above 40 m/s durring a single-motion throw. Good baseball ptchers can do it. I believe that a average fit man is able to get about 25 m/s during single stroke, even when he pulls a sling with a stone.

Quote:
To shoot, I start with my sling hanging downward, I put my hand a little bit forward, then begin to move it backward, upward and end with a fast movement forward. The backward and upward motion put the sling into position but also gives me the necessary preliminary velocity to which the fast movement forward is added. For the onlooker it looks like a whip-like motion.

I'm not sure, if you are thinking about the same thing as myself, when you use the term "whiplike". For me "to whip" mean the same like "to stroke", it is a simple violent move in a one direction, but you are usig this term for the complex motion. I have got an impression you are descibing the "nwmanitou's" style with the "nuber 8" loop for initiating the final stroke, maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
...Of course in a bit simplistic explanation I could still say that I add the absolute value of a little velocity vector backward, the absolute value of a little velocity vector upward and the absolute value of a bigger velocity vector forward. That explanation is true enough to explain in a few words to a curious onlooker how the whole thing works. And of course you can describe each shot with a sling as the sum of an infinite number of infinitesimal straight accelerations of you hand. So theoretically at the end you could have a very accurate description of the sling movement.

It is a true, but not all true. The gift of matter is in it, that you acelerate the stone along the longer trajectory than the palm's trajectory is, during the single stroke of the hand in the same time.

Quote:
Just to show you how complex it would be to find a mathematical solution for a given shot with the sling: Just a few days ago I saw the mathematical solution for the motion of a pendulum (for which I have given the equation in my article) in a physics book.

I'm conscious how complex is to find a mathematical equations of a sling motion. I think the best way is to find a numeric solution. I suppose we should start solving from the lagrangian. I'm neither a mathematician nor physicist too, so it isn't trivial for me. It would be great if some day one make a sling motion simulator with a lot parameters and charts Smiley

Anyway, mathematical eqations could give a lot very interesting conclusions, but alas could't teach anybody slinging.

Quote:
As any shot with a sling is more complex than this very simple pendulum movement, you can imagine the lot of work just to describe one special shooting pattern.

It is just why my considerations are started from the known from experience behaviour of a sling Smiley

Quote:
There could be still a difference between my style and the explanation with picture 4. You say that at the end you arm is stretched forward...

Not exactly, I said this:

Quote:
...We can compare the Fcf to a (more and more stiff) spring, which is indirectly diffracted by the Fa, and which gives the kinetic energy back just before the release. That gives an additional spur for the stone, and makes a shape and lenght of the stone trajectory more beneficial, bacause lets us to release the stone in a much more profitable moment (I mean, more to forward, when the slinger's arm is alredy streched)

Meaning of that is, that such kind of trajectory furthers a better using the full range of the efficient arm motion. As you can see on the picture, the release is when the arm is pointed between the 9 and 12 o'clock. If the cords erect too early you must release closer to the 12 o'c
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 5:55pm by Yurek »  

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 4:59pm

Thanks a lot Yurek for you long answear

Sorry for being unprecise. I should have said that you picture looks very closely like my overhead style for an observer on my left (I’m right handed): I put my weight on my right foot which is behind and move my hand a bit forward. Than I begin to move it backward, ever faster and end with a fast movement forward where I also put my weight on my left (front) foot. (I think that this is what Mgreenfield would describe as a whip-like snap.)

So, I don’t do a lot of rotations. The opposite is true as I just do about one half of a full rotation!!!

You say
„I believe that a average fit man is able to get about 25 m/s during single stroke, even when he pulls a sling with a stone."

If that is true I’m not an average person (but rather a disabled one) because I can throw stones (without sling) not much farther than 25m. And as air friction is probably rather low at this latitudes this means that my release velocity is about 16m/s. If you are really able to throw at 25m/s that should mean that you get over 40m without sling (22m/s is necessary in the vacuum to get a range of 50m). If that is the case I have no doubt that you don’t need a lot of rotations to build up the needed velocity to reach you high ranges with the sling.

Conservation of the angular momentum in a central force:
AngularMomentum=Mass.Velocity.Radius
So (as the mass is constant), a lower Radius means a higher Velocity. (It’s not only the angular velocity which gets faster.) For example: When a satellite describing an elliptic orbit comes closer to the earth it gets a higher velocity which again pushes it away from the earth.

So, last but not least, I would still like to know how far you can throw a stone without a sling.

Saludos

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 6:22pm

Friends, ....Yurek's diagram in post #11 above just plain MUST show up in the "Goliath Project".    Talk about one picture being worth a thousand words!!   Wow!!  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 6:32pm

Alsatian,

You were precise, now I have got understanding of your way. Sorry, but I simply didn't get an idea, that it may be a style of slinging. I have just reminded, that I saw a movie on some website showing one girl, that was using just that style. So my picture may be mistakenly interpreted, indeed.

That way is very very ineffective. I'm sure I would get very poor ranges with that one too. But you may transform it easy into the nwmanitou's way, which is much better. I can't explain it, but look at his movies. It's pretty easy,  practically you should add  only some ingenious motion of the wrist.

Quote:
You say
?I believe that a average fit man is able to get about 25 m/s during single stroke, even when he pulls a sling with a stone."

If that is true I?m not an average person (but rather a disabled one) because I can throw stones (without sling) not much farther than 25m. And as air friction is probably rather low at this latitudes this means that my release velocity is about 16m/s.

Well... maybe I exaggerated a bit. I will measure how far I can throw by the hand and let you know. But I'm sure it is a bit more than 25 m.

Quote:
Conservation of the angular momentum in a central force:
AngularMomentum=Mass.Velocity.Radius
So (as the mass is constant), a lower Radius means a higher Velocity. (It?s not only the angular velocity which gets faster.)

Yeah, you are absolutly right. I simply made a gaffe. I will remove that from my post, because it may misinform.

Jurek

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15)