Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Volunteering for sections for the book. (Read 3043 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Volunteering for sections for the book.
Aug 7th, 2004 at 8:49pm

I though that i would start this topic if anyone want to volunteer for any book sections. I will start by volunteering for the sling used by the vikings (with approval of coarse). Anyone else? Wink

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: Volunteering for sections for the book.
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 6:12am

The section on the Vikings would have to be quite short - the Viking's primary weapons being the sword and bow, the bow being accorded high regard by the Vikings,  because of the strength required to use it.  But if well researched, no doubt quite a lot could be written.
  I think that people should just go away and research as much as possible, bring back everything they have found, made notes on and everything, to the site, or to Chris.  The information could be made readily available so that anyone could write something about it, and all the competing articles could be compared and the best one selected.  That would be fair, I believe.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 12:14pm

It looks like it is going to be a short article on the Vikings. One the Viking were great book writers. Two there is not much on the intrenet. Three there is not much in written techs about slings either. I did my English research paper on the Viking. One section was on weapons. I tryed to find articles about slings but i found very little.

If any one runs across any thing let me know please. I am try to find stuff but there is not much. I am still going to write the artcle. I have enough for a couple pages. I will keep searching.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 10:39pm

Obviously the amount of material on certain subjects is very limited.  If you can produce a 2 page piece on the vikings and their use of the sling, that would be fantastic.  If we can get two pages for every group that used the sling, we'll have a book a foot thick.

I think it also might be useful to write up a skeleton outline for what should be included in a section that reviews a particular group.  There will have to be some standard elements, perhaps why the group used the sling, what other weapons did they use, what niche did the sling fill, what historical evidence do we have, etc etc....

Sounds good Gun.  Look forward to reading it!  Also, let me know what section I should put vikings under. 
Chris

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:59pm

So you want a outline first before we start writing it? As for what section it would be in I don't know, maybe in the section on the outline page with celts and germanc on it or in the groups. As for the standard elements keep us informed. I will try to start working on it this week. Also, i look back at th proposed outline there are a couple of other section I would be interested in but one thing at a time.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 5:37am

Hey Gun. Check out badgerdudes entre under Ancient slings. It give some good reference for Viking slings.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 1:15pm

there is really not enough about viking slings to right a entire section about. A person would have to combine them with maybe the timeline of the sling. They had a very very small part of the slings history. I wish there was more about viking slingers wrote but there is not

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)