Ow my arm! (Read 4149 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Ow my arm!
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 8:44pm

There is a topic on the adminative board not to long ago about how to post pic. I think it was started by Zorro, so he might be able to help you.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 7:28am

i dont know any thing about the "perfect rock" but i will tell you my left arm hurts like heck after a few throws with the staff sling.
I think thats funny i dont use my left arm as much as my right. or atleast thats what i thought.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:36am

With my enormous Herculean muscles, naturally I experience no pain whatsoever.... Grin
  Seriously though:  Once after slinging repeatedly with friends, I experienced a great deal of pain in my shoulder.  It took about a week for it to pass fully, but after it did, my shoulder felt stronger, more powerful, and I could sling for longer periods with no adverse effects.  Occasionally I hurt my wrist if I use a big rock and don't control it well, but most often slinging is a painless experience.  Except for whatever is on the other end.
  The Perfect Rock, eh?  I have plenty of rocks perfect for slinging; the absolute perfect size and shape.  I live in the far south, so I am right near the coast; good stone (and sand) beaches nearby, with lovely rounded stones.  Also, there is a large amount of woodland nearby, plenty of game, chalk cliffs for flint, an abundance of roots and greens, brilliant soil... in fact, everything you could hope for for survival purposes.  The problem is that it is so amenable to life that people are nearly everywhere, agriculture has taken over, there are loads of towns... etc.  *sigh*  So that's progress...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 6:19am

i agree with you english. I live in ohio we have some woodland but its all trashey and is inhabbited more so by drunken teens then animals but that is where i go to sling...I always worry im going to hit some one out there but i havent yet...

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 1:43pm

Well guys, I've now been using David T's horizontal style (slightly modified - my throw goes a little more vertical than in the video) and I can hit a large pine tree at eye level from 30 feet away about 50% of the time! And with LOTS of power! In fact, I had one nice rock that I threw, it hit very solid and bounced back in front of me, so I picked it up and threw it again. I did that 5 times in a row! Then I released too soon and lost that rock into the woods.

This new style seems to really wear down my release cord. Not the anchor cord though. My anchor cord is still the original from 5 years ago. But the release cord I have replaced or repaired 5 times since I have started using this Greek cast.

And more good news! Now my arm doesn't give me problems when I throw. I guess being 18 helps when it comes to recovering from stress and building muscle  Grin

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 9:58pm

You must be slinging like me! Grin the release knot eventually breaks off from the constant whip snapping at release.

The nylon one has not broke off in a year of use. The hemp ones do more easily.

I just found another great help for this problem--I wrap duct tape from around the knot down 2". It really seems to help keep the knot from snapping off.

DUCT TAPE IS GREAT!

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 10:58am

Yeah what I have done is to use thinner nylon (or cotton - no stretchies) for the bulk of the cord, and then about 4 inches before the release not use a fisherman's knot to attach a small length of thick, meaty nylon. That wraps up into a really great, strong knot.

Oh by the way, check out this site, it's all about really useful knots, with great pictures:
http://www.layhands.com/knots/

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)