Archery (Read 7921 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Archery
Reply #15 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 1:49pm

How many bows have you bought from them? any certin model you recomend?

The thing with Bingham projects is that the bows are cheap (no not cheaply made). The one I remember seeing was a recurve unfinished for about $60.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 2:11pm

I have not purchased any bows from them.  One can purchase a myriad of supplies for the making of your own bow, however.   My current needs are being fulfilled by using lamination kits,  as I have the rest squared away.   It is rather against my nature, it seems, to do things conventionally.  And for those of us with this affliction,  Bingham Projects is right up our alley!   Here is a good place to start......

http://www.binghamprojects.com/starting.htm

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 2:43pm

Tech
have you ever made a Yumi style bow? I've looked over the design of these bows and think I can make one slightly shorter(for a 28 inch draw) and without the bamboo. Maybe laminate up some hickory. What do ya think? The main thing(as in all bows) is not to over strain one limb. It doesn't matter if the bow is symmetrical or asymmetrical.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 4:05pm

Interesting that you mention the Yumi.  Although I have never made a Yumi bow, I have studied their dynamics after taking up the bow.  A residual interest from my martial arts days and having observed Kyudo being practiced on occasion.   I have never built a Yumi bow as my interests have run (as usual) more toward sheer efficiency/utilitarianism.   They are, however, truly works of art!  Jaap Koppedrayer, a North American authority on Kyudo, is quite proficient with the Yumi, having made various pieces, himself.  He will be at this year's International Horse Archery Festival. 

http://www.intlhorsearchery.org/press_release_2004.htm

This festival is held yearly at Fort Dodge, IA.  and is a real treat!  Last year they had a raffle of one of the bows used on the set of "The last Samurai".   Meg Beshey, wife of Dave Beshey is certainly the driving force behind the event.   Met them at last year's Nebraska traditional archer's event.   Jaap Koppedrayer's ability is something to be emulated, certainly.  He is well versed in all aspects of the Yumi style.

Here is a pic of Jaap:

http://www.hornbow.com/past.html

Johnny,  If you can swing it,  This year's IHAF at Fort Dodge is well worth attending, and being centrally located, draws in quite the attendance!

P.S.  With your sense of style and ability.....I think you could build a rock solid performer of any design you put your mind to!   A purist would be hard pressed to resist the temptation to use Bamboo in a Yumi bow....It would be interesting to see your take on it.   Why not a hickory Yumi!   

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 4:58pm

I'm familiar with the event at Fort Dodge. Looks like a real blowout! I'm also a big fan of Japp's bows, he does wonderful work! What I may try to do is a hickory/bamboo laminate. I'll even try to rope it up and hammer in the wedges(I'm sure you're familiar with the way they glue together the laminates). My family and I are going to Disney(Orlando) in September, so I don't have any extra vacation time and moo-la to go anywhere until next year!!!!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:09am

A wooden Yumi is actually basically what the earliest Japanese bows were - at least, they were long, thin, assymmeticral, etc.  Very easy to make, to be honest, from a single piece of wood.  They'd probably make a good survival bow, actually.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)