Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Project Goliath (Read 16100 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Project Goliath
Reply #30 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 4:49pm

I like it... but I guess I've already used my vote Wink. I mostly like being able to _see_ the whole thing. Maybe once more chapters start to come together. Wiki collaborative works tend to be less fragmented than compilations of different authours tend to be.

Matthias

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #31 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 4:53pm

yeah that sound great. The more proof readers the better. I just got finished with english 2 in college and have all the the english book so i am fresh with sentices and paragraph structshore. I am not a spelling corrector ( as you can tell) that is what the computer is for. I will help if you need it. Just ask!  Wink

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #32 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 9:00pm

While I think wikis work for some types of literature, I don't see it working particularly well for this one (just my opinion).  Each section is going to be a sophisticated and detailed piece of text that doesn't lend well to many people making additions and edits.  I think sections need to be "adopted" by a single person, or at least a dedicated few.  Each person will become essentially experts in their little category.  I want everyone to focus on hunting down contacts, new sources, and writing, not reviewing other work.  At this point, where the project is in it's infancy, it's important we dedicate what ever time we have to get the ball rolling.  If we can't reach some kind of critical mass over the next few months, the project will just fizzle out.  Once there is perhaps 30% of text completed, and a dedicated crew eager to finish the rest, maybe a wiki would be great to pull in everyone else and polish the text. 

With only one section done, the preface, we've got a lot of work ahead of us.  I've started on my next section, and hope to see some other completed sections soon.

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #33 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 9:41am

Chris,
I'm getting things together on the various battles where the sling was used. I will be using quotes from most of the ancient historians(Diodorus,Thucydides,etc...). I'm not much of a creative writer and will be using large quotes from these historians. I will add a little commentary and just let the ancients speak for themselves.
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Dave Nessia

Reply #34 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 7:24pm

My name is Dave Nessia and I am an instructor for Boulder Outdoor Survival School. This forum is very interesting to me for I have just started researching for a series of articles on the sling. One Article will be a basic historic overview, one will be the Mechanics of the sling, and the third will involve creating a woven sling. As I research this subject more I will love to share any information that I come in contact with. I am hoping to publish these articles in The Society of Primative Technology For I know the editor. This does seem to enhance my chances. Any info anyone can throw my way will also be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #35 - Dec 15th, 2004 at 1:55am

Great.  Anything you produce would certainly be helpful for our effort.

Chris

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 5:28am

If you like I have a pre written article on games with the sling and how to make a target that allows you to save your ammo. I understand completely if you dont want it cosidering that it wouldnt really fit into any of the chapters.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #37 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 6:09am

Make it to the book or not, do you mind sharing the infomations anyway? Shocked  I am very interested in the games!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #38 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 6:58am

I agree, please put it on the forum.
If only to tell the police my sling is part of an inocent game. 
"Officer, see the rules, it is a game!!!!"

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #39 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 8:43am

sure but you will have to wait im going to make it an article with pics and stuff it should be up in at least 2 weeks

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:26am

I added search results on latin sources about slingers to the discussion section of the roman page in the slinging.org wiki. Maybe here is somebody who actually understands latin and likes to look through them.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

narya

Para nacer hay que destruir
un mundo

The Islands of the Ba'lé Yaroh
Reply #41 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 6:24pm

Have added kind of a "Proposed Structure" for the section The Iberian Peninsula and the Balearic Islands on the Wiki

http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:The_Iberian_Peninsula_and_the_...

I don't want to do more without knowing what others think about that structure.

3 erasers + some string + a bored me = my funny first but still working bola.
WWW f_quenya  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #42 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 10:10pm

I think it is really cool.  You have my vote!

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #43 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 8:48am

What in my opinion would be necessary is a style guide for the book. That doesn't have to be very detailed, but it should describe what the aim of the project is (What is the target audience? What should these people learn from the book?) and what therefore should be included (Information sources like in scientific publications?) and how should it be styled/structured (The current wiki-format can mislead the writers to write like they would on Wikipedia.).

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #44 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 9:16am

I'm pleased to see the project moving forward!  It will be a great contribution.  I originally suggested, or co-suggested, using a wiki for the writing and edit phase. But what to do when this is finished?

Certainly, you could put it on the website as articles.  But I wonder if we couldn't do more with it?

Why not use one of the publish-on-demand services like www.iuniverse.com and create a book?  The cash could support server costs.  Maybe this has been thought of already, Dan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)