Project Goliath (Read 16102 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Project Goliath
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 4:59pm

Chris, you said that you could do a section about slings used by groups of people. Is this going to be in the book? I would have a interest in doing a section on Viking or Norse slingers. Although I do not have any research done, I would do the work for it. Also, what is the timeline of this book? Do we need to have it done by a certain time period or is this just work as we go until we get done? And what would be the word count or page count need to be. I know that some sections do need to be longer than others. I am trying to give a small section, but I am just curious for me and ever other person hear. What do you think?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 9:08pm

Wow.
Like shaun, I'm pretty young (junior in highscool) but I'd love to help.  As far as I know, there are few (if any) books like this already written, and there needs to be. 
As far as the vocabulary goes, my opinion is: keep it simple, but don't hesitate to use words that will make what you're trying to say more clear.  A book like this should be fairly easy to follow and understand, but not so elementary that people don't feel like reading it.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 11:41pm

I think that it is a huge advantage that we have such a diverse group of people here at slinging.org. I imagine that we collectively represent a pretty nice sampling of the type of people who would be interested in a book about slinging (surprise surprise Wink) That said, the language should be that that the group as a whole is comfortable with.

I hope that no one holds back due to a perceived lack of experience etc. All of you guys (young, ancient or otherwise) are valuable contributors to the forum, and that will hold tru for any book. We have a host of editor-types (most with technical backgrounds it seems Lips Sealed) to sort out language/grammar/vocabulary/style once text starts coming together.

Matthias

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 10:48pm

Looking through the other posts in the "project Goliath" forum, I'm astounded at your enthusaism and knowledge. I'm sure it is merely the tip of the iceberg Smiley

In a couple of weeks I will be beginning college, and I am hoping I can write a report or do a mathematical study of slings. That way, I can make a solid contribution to project Goliath and get a grade for it!

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:59am

This is a very ambitious project.  I'm afraid I won't be able to write anything, because no doubt someone would try to correct my real English with that pidgin you call American English.  The word is GREY not GRAY.  Etc.
  Seriously though... No direct contribution can be made by myself, but I will try to research as much as possible at the British Museum, the British Library and any other institutions I can find about slings, in Britain and abroad.  There will doubtless be some things I can find.  I'm going up to London soon, so maybe I'll give it a go.

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 4:20pm

Wink Hey, English, I am sure you can contribute a lot to the book, even more after researching at the British Library and at the British Museum! Uau! these must be really great, when I'll visit England, I will spend all time in both of these places... Smiley if they aallow me, I can even sleep inside these places!!! Grin Grin Grin
You mentioned something that is really curious for anyone who is no-english speaker... there are also written differences  between english and american english ... but undoubtly they don't seem much different when I read them, but when I watch some movie, or TV news, oh my God, it doesn't seem to be the same language... Grin. I studied british english, and a close friend of mine is a US Citizen living in Nevada; well, when I call him, if anybody else answers the call, it is difficult to me to understand, and I am surely that it is for them too... once, a friend of him asked if his friend (me) was Arabian speaker... Angry Angry
The same occurs with the portuguese spoken in Portugal and in Brasil... Wink
We are all waiting for the results of tyour interesting researchers, o.k.???

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 4:22pm

Embarrassed oh, oh!
I put a sad  ??? at the end of the message for mistake...
Sorry again... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #22 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:44pm

Oh well. It is getting you post up high each time you do it friebejr.  Grin

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:45pm

higher  Wink Now you have got me doing it too.

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 9:38pm

Wink Oh, no! if "high" means "under alcoholic influence", nobody can even wonder our super-hero "Slinging Super Squirrel" doing this... I think he prefers some "nuts juice"!!!!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #25 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 10:03pm

Lol you guys... You do know that you can edit your own posts after the fact? (hit "modify" next to the post you want to fix)That confused little smiley turns up whenever you use three question marks (or two ? bracketing a ! - what's up with that?) !?!  ?!! are safe... I used to be a fan of the triple ? for "really want to know" or "incredulity" but am gradually weaning myself...

Matthias

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #26 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 10:24pm

English, sounds good.  Any new images or reference you can find would be fantastic!

Chris

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #27 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:49pm

Thanks Matthias for the advice. I think plenty of people on this forum did not know this.

And i meant nothing about being High. I am wirery enough without that stuff. Plus slinging super squirrel has to be on his toes to dodge the stones from his little sling.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:30am

I am not saying for definite I will find anything in either of those institutions, because they are both enormous archives; you need to know exactly what you are looking for.  But the British museum should have at least an Egyptian sling or two, that kind of thing.

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Wiki
Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 10:13am

I too would like to suggest using a Wiki to write and edit this journal. It allows for everyone to edit and proofread while keeping only one version.

I've worked on writing projects before, and keeping track of the edits is difficult at best even when using a 'track changes' feature.

I've started one at http://riters.com/ProjectGoliath/index.cgi/FrontPage?action=show I used the chapters in the Proposed Outline v2. Each of these wiki pages can have subchapters, too.  It can also be setup so you receive emails when it is finished.

You might want to license the book under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0, or whatever works for you. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)