Send Topic Print
Project Goliath (Read 16105 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Project Goliath
Aug 2nd, 2004 at 2:18pm

Having read through the thread titled "Hebrew slinger 1000B.C.", started by Johnny on July 6th, and seeing the enthusiasm for a book about the sling, I've decided that a new section of the forum should be created to help coordinate this ambitious project.

The collective knowledge of the people on this forum is enormous, and I think the time is has come to leverage this enormous potential and enthusiasm and begin work on a formal project.  The sling is an enormous topic, and so by distributing the various sections to different people to research and write, we can collectively produce an impressive and complete text.  While one person might be overwhelmed at the scope of such a volume, a group of enthusiastic writers could cooperatively work together, produce a similar text, and not interfere with their existing responsibilities. 

I am posting Johnny's proposed outline below for people unfamiliar with this topic to review.  Obviously, there are many ways to make this outline more comprehensive, but none-the-less, provides a good start. 

ANCIENT SLINGER
   1.Prehistory
   2.Biblical(Hebrew)
   3.Assyrian
   4.Greek
   5.Roman
   6.Balearic
   7.Various(Celtic,German, etc...)

MEDIEVAL AND MODERN
   1.Saxon,Norman,Arab
   2.Aztec,Inca,
   3.Palestinian

THE SLING AND PROJECTILES
   1.Anatomy of the sling
   2.Stones, lead, ceramic
   3.Darts(cestrosphendon)

SLING MECHANICS
   1.Overhand hurl
   2.Underhand hurl
   3.Horizontal hurl

MAKING A SLING
MAKING PROJECTILES
FINDING PROJECTILES

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Project Goliath
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 4:47pm

May I make the first suggestion?  "Making Slings" -- have at least two sections, Ancient Methods ann Modern Methods.  Obviously, there's no way the book could list every possible method of making a sling, but the book could maybe give an overview of slings as they probably were made (composites, braided, woven, etc.) and then offer some ideas on how to make them today (20 steps to a sling, simple design, etc.).  That way, the reader could make a sling easily from readily available materials, but the book would still have some cultural and historical examples of sling design.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Now we're talking
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 5:06pm

Wow... ambitious project. Any idead how the mechanics of this board should work Chris? This may be a section where "sticky" threads could be used to good effect.

How much of a sucker for punishment are you? I mentioned it in the other thread but I'll suggest again that a wiki would be ideal for this type of project. The administrative "issue" of potential vandalism could be worked around pretty easily with this group if the forum served as a "public" discussion and a sub group of members (anyone who wants to participate) had write access. The "open" files are seperate from the main site's data, so the worst case scenario is that we might lose the wiki for a while until a mod could restore the archived pages. I think Twiki (gpl'd) can cohabitate nicely with YaBB.

I look forward to seeing this Giant project grow!

Matthias

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 11:50pm

I think a wiki will be a bit overkill, plus I'd like to keep as much content housed in this single forum.  If there is a pressing need to upgrade, I'll consider it.  It's a good idea, don't get me wrong. 

I don't foresee people posting their text here in the forum.  I would prefer to think of it as a staging ground, where we can ask questions, keep others updated about our progress, and coordinate.

The first step is developing a good outline.  From there, people can "Sign up" for parts they are willing to properly research and then write. 

Chris

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 7:35am

....in NO MORE than 50 words, what IS the OBJECTIVE of creating the book??   This kind of statement, agreed to in advance by all participants, should be useful in keeping the project "on track".

Same for up-front agreement on an "editorial board", and the purpose/authority of this board.

mgreenfield

PS:  I'm a pretty good technical editor.  Problem is everything comes out reading like a machine assembly & operation manual.   Sad but true.    Grin

IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 2:19pm

This looks amazing, I'm only a Sophmore in high school so I don't have a lot of the knowledge or skill you guys do But I would love to be a part of this project. If there's anything I can do, I'm here

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 7:11pm

Just a question about how the book will be like. I don't know if any of you have the tradional bowyer's bible, but will the book be kinda like that with many authors. I fyou don't have the book it has chapters written be a different author about how to make different kind of bows.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 2:27pm

Given the diverse background of all potential contributers, I'd just like to throw out word of caution to anyone without a background in research...  cite your sources!!  This will lend validity to the finished work, guard against accusations of plagiarism, and give readers a way to follow up if they want more info on a particular aspect of the weapon.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 11:20pm

It will basically be a compilation of individual papers, but with a directed focus.  Each one can be small, some maybe only a few pages.  Even the busiest of people can spare a few hours and contribute something. 

Yes, as Hobb explains, this is a serious book.  Most of the sections are heavily reliant of historical evidence and other people's articles.  People need to cite their texts.  It's really very easy, and shouldn't be a deterrent.  If you take a statistic or fact from lets say Korfmann's Scientific American article, just insert a little [Korfmann, 1973] after that sentence.  I'm used to citing text, and would be more than happy to help people if they are having problems.  You can use what ever system you want, and I'll standardize it for everyones work. 

Chris

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 5:49pm

Re: SLING MECHANICS - Wanting to learn how to sling is why a lot of folks would pick up the book.   Promoting slinging as a sport is a main reason for assembling the book in the first place.

Somehow, we have to settle on 2-3 BASIC/SIMPLE styles, from which the reader can pick one, then see it clearly enough described to duplicate the style himself, and get the maximum in success/gratification with a minimum of frustration AND DANGER to himself or others. 

ALSO, for a writing style/vocabulary, I much recommend imitating the Wall Street Journal to reach as many people as possible.   

"Men of true science use but few hard words, and those only when none other will do.   Whereas dabblers in science  believe that by mouthing hard words, they prove mastery of difficult concepts."  anon  (Wish I'd said that!)

Short words.  Short sentences.  Short paragraphs.  Short chapters.  Lots of pictures and diagrams.  In short, eschew obfuscation!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 6:04pm

Quote:
Somehow, we have to settle on 2-3 BASIC/SIMPLE styles, from which the reader can pick one, then see it clearly enough described to duplicate the style himself, and get the maximum in success/gratification with a minimum of frustration AND DANGER to himself or others.   

Safety's easy enough.  Just strongly recommend that the reader use tennis balls, wadded paper with tape around it, etc. until comfortable enough to move on to "real" projectiles.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 6:04pm

One would be hard pressed to find a man of 'true science' that would adhere to that anonymous statement.  Webster once said something to the effect:  'take from me all that I possess and I should gain it all back with my mastery of words'.   True,  the neophytes enjoy puffing themselves up with their newfound 'word-toys'.   

These ones closely resemble the subjects of this quote:  "Teach a man to think that he's thinking and he will love you.  Make him really think and he may hate you."   In this day and age, where the english language is awash in a sea of wave upon wave of new slang terminology,  I for one, find it refreshing to come across new and useful words to enrich my word power.   

So too,  one should always consider who they are talking too and try to communicate effectively without losing one's audience.   Embarrassed

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 8:39pm

The person with the most extensive vocabulary is the one who chooses precisely the right word to convey his meaning to his audience, without counting syllables.  I agree with mgreenfield:  e-chew obstetricians!  (that's what he said, right?)   Wink Smiley

This raises a good point, though.  Who's the book for?  Laymen?  Scholars?  Are we going for a coffee-table kind of vibe, or are we looking to be cited in professional journals?

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 10:49pm

Well put,  Hobb.   The most effective form of verbal expression relies upon more than one agenda.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 10:37pm

Well said MG Grin

Hows that for short and simple? Roll Eyes Yet we must not appear too simple. Hows that for diplomacy?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)