Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
traditional games and sports (Read 1884 times)
zeluiz
Tiro

Once slinger, always slinger

Porto Alegre
traditional games and sports
Jul 22nd, 2004 at 5:13am

In the Forum Barcelona 2004 you can see 40 traditional games and sports.  Shocked

There are traditional sports exhibition like Hurling from Ireland, kabbadi from India, tamburello from Italy, chueca, played in Chile and Argentina.... but no mention about the sling.  Angry

It is strange because the Balearic Islands are quit near to Barcelona and The Balearic slingers participated in the Olympiad of Barcelona.

http://www.barcelona2004.org/eng/eventos/deportes/portada.htm

http://www.barcelona2004.org/esp/eventos/deportes/portada.htm

Aquele abraço!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: traditional games and sports
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 6:44am

I often watch some of the Olympic games but I am not very knowledgable about all the Olympic traditions.

What is the Olympiad and what do they do and how did the Balaeric slingers participate?

How could slinging become an Olympic competition? Is the Federation trying to get slinging into the games?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:14pm

The point of it is, the sling was never really used for sport; hunting and warfare.  And as far as I know, it wasn't part of the original Greek olympics.  Archery has been a sport for millennia, and so has throwing a javelin.  All the others are sports and always have been.  So it seems unlikely that slinging would be part of the games.  It would be nice though.  Also, equipment would have to be standardised, and people would have to be informed about slinging.  It would be a big job.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 4:13am

Anyway, modern spears not have much in common with the Roman pilum, for example. So perhaps standardization on modern slings could be useful. Modern disciplines often do not have much in common with antique disciplines. Good examples are Running, as in ancient times athletes ran naked carrying a big, heavy shield or Boxing, where athletes had leather ropes wrapped around their hands in order to tear the skin in the opponent's face open easier and in Boxing events people were killed rather often.
For slinging, I think standardization is not that necessary in events going for accuracy, as modern material or bullet shapes have far more influence on range than on accuracy

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 5:09am

David,

The Balearic slingers didn't participate in the olympic games Barcelona92 

They participated before 15 days in a demonstration called cultural olympiad, where they met all the autochthonous sports that we have here in each one of the regions in Spain

Greeting.
Vicente

Quote:
I often watch some of the Olympic games but I am not very knowledgable about all the Olympic traditions.

What is the Olympiad and what do they do and how did the Balaeric slingers participate?

How could slinging become an Olympic competition? Is the Federation trying to get slinging into the games?

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 6:39am

Ah entiendo que de habla. Hablo solo empoco de Espaniol pedo no puedo "spell" en Espaniol muy bien porque escucho y repitalo "audio CDs" No escribalo mucho.

?Puede entiende que de hablo?

David

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 9:29am

Hola David

I can understand what you say perfectly, I understand their Spanish well, don't worry, I also speak and  write very bad in English

Greetins,
Vicente

Quote:
Ah entiendo que de habla. Hablo solo empoco de Espaniol pedo no puedo "spell" en Espaniol muy bien porque escucho y repitalo "audio CDs" No escribalo mucho.

?Puede entiende que de hablo?

David

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 5:53am

I don't think that slings are that different from bows or rifles, both of which are olympic sports.  People have been slinging recreationally for hundreds of years, thousands even.  Far more than the bow and way more than any firearm. 

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)