Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
ZIP GUNS?? (Read 13992 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: ZIP GUNS??
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 11:47am

Here is the main point here - what on earth is the point of owning a crappy weapon, capable of shooting someone with a low calibre bullet at short range?  Who are you going to use it against?  Unless you're Timothy McVeigh, you probably won't find a use.  And with regard to gun laws; here in Britain, a guy was shot by ARU for pointing a gun-shaped lighter aggressively at a hostage.  Gun laws here would be called draconian in America.  Making, owning, shooting, pointing, concealing, any kind of firearm is absolutely illegal.
  I have nothing against someone making a weapon like a flintlock rifle or other primitive weapons for HUNTING purposes, so long as it is not illegal.  What I do object to are weapons that serve no useful purpose other than killing other people.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 1:00pm

That's cool, zorrro, I figured that was the deal.  I like your wry humour.  I'll try to dig out the number of the FM with the best information I can recall using. There were two or theree of them , but one especially stands out in memory!  I believe it recommended a sawed-off bolt as the "rock" used.  I'd like to try to get it to you through private email, if you don't mind.  Iy may be available on the internet, or the usual reprint places.  Thanks for everything, and I'll try to send you something useful, since you obviously realise the dangers involved!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 1:15pm

Dear English,

That's what Zorrro and I have been saying about these things, too.  They're not all that great!  Sort of take all of the advantages of the sling, and reverse them into disadvantages, and you have a "zip gun".  But I even classify weapons such as the old STENs and M-3 "grease guns" as little better than sophisticated, mass-produced "zip guns", and don't really catre for them either, although they are WORLDS better than a one-to-three shot pipe gun!

I also dislike close order drill, which is useless on the modern battlefield, but I know how do DO it, IF I have to!
Zorro is right that there arer MANY better ways to get the job done than with these awkward, dangerous curiosities, and I attribute the governemtnal interest in teaching these to certain troops to machismo and the fledgling nature of unconventional warfare at the time of their introduction.  Things today are MUCH more sophisticated, I understand, than they were, even a few years ago.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 1:16pm

thank you very much magnumslinger
i apreciate the info, just inquisitive purpose,  my chemistry and ballistics days are done and gone. 

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 2:56pm

It is a good idea to talk about these guns. If our country deceaded to take our gun, it would be a advantage to know how to make one. English the purpose of the gun isn't to kill 10 to 20 or even 30 people, just one. Shoot that person to get their gun. Just like the WW2 liberator pistol given to the french, the only purpose was to get a better gun.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 4:09pm

It's not the number of people, at all.  It's the fact that it is designed to kill people.  It serves no useful purpose.
  Oh, and it's nice to have you back again Magnumslinger.  Haven't seen you for some time.

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #36 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 12:02am

Personally if i had to take someone gun and had a "zip gun" i would wack them over the head with it rather then shoot them and possibly injure(sp? im tired lol) myself but that probably wont be a choice but thats how i would prefer to use an iron or whatever pipe... IF i had to which i hope i never do but you never know these days
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

jonjon
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 12:57am

Thanks, for all the replies I  was just wondering how they worked and how there built.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 2:04am

Lol sean i was thinking the same, wacking is safer (unless you've loaded it with strike-anywhere matches Grin)  yes, better use the pipe alone

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #39 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 10:17pm

Dear English, Zorro and Sean,

"TRUE, TRUE, TRUE!", on all of your last replies!  The pipe/zip"gun" IS better used as a club/ thrown projectile than as a "firearm"/bullet launcher!!  You are  the BEST type of people to listen to/read, because you KNOW what's real through experience and research, which is obvious from your posts and their content.  Most people are merely CURIOUS, and that's fine.  But I wanted to FINALLY get a free moment and say so.

I've been a little busier than usual lately, and hope to have some useful stuff to post soon!

Thank you, English for the kind welcome.  I get very busy sometimes, but always am thinking of my fellow slingers/primitive weapon practitioners here at this great forum. 

By the way, has any of you read Dan Brown's "Deception Point" (enjoyed "Angels and Demons" and "Digital Fortress", and LOVED "DaVinci Code"...fun stuff!), and his description of the U.S. Government's counterterrorism agencies possible experimentation with and use of "environmental" weapons, which used natural projectiles such as "ice bullets" and "melted sand", compacted dirt, rocks, ect, designed to blend/degrade naturally into the environment fired silently out of ultra-modern rifles, etc.(These "less lethal/less-than-lethal", and/or potentially lethal, but "less-than-detectable" weapons seemed only a step away from just scrapping the expensive, complicated rifle gizmos, and simply going back to the old sling!  A lot of it sounded like simply loading appropriately-sized ice balls into a cheap already available automatic paint ball gun, and bouncing them off of people's heads until they were neutralized)?  Or Alvin Toffler's "war and Anti-war?  Both of these books mention using nano-tech gizmos such as mosquito-sized helecopter drones to take video pictures of intelligence targets, and even to kill terrorists by injecting them with vasso-suppressing chemicals and the like?  (Sounds like the Russians could have made good use of similar devices in the recent school hostage tragedy.  Imagine a swarm of nearly undetectable microcopter closed circuit/hypodermic syringe platforms flown a few each simultaneously to inject some instant knockout chemical or fast-acting poison into each of the terrorists before they could have hurt anyone! Grin Wow!)

Anyway, back to the real world...have a great week!

IP Logged

Roman_slinger
Tiro

bonk!!

ohio
Reply #40 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 8:29pm

how do u shoot them do u like hit it or like a blow gun or what

IP Logged

TJTay89
Tiro

It don't mean a thing,
if it ain't got that
sling

Reply #41 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 2:10am

As many people here have said, making any type of homemade device that at one time or another involves explosive gases usually isn't in you or anybody elses best intrest. And as for these .22 cannons (aka zip-guns), unless you get the right type of steel, and a strong enough end-cap, then you are more likely to blow off a hand then hit anything. And in these days, when anything to do with homemade  explosives/ballistics is considered to be terrorist by both the government and civilian population, making anything that could be used to kill someone is highly frowned apon, and usually punished most harsly.

It should be noted that I have a high respect for the law, and would never break it in anyway. It just so happens that one of my hobbies includes the finding and saving of "sensitive" published works.  If one wanted to know more about making guns from scratch (for entertainment purposes only ofcourse) then they should look into these books; Home Workshop Guns for Defense and Resistance: Volumes 1-4 by Bill Holmes Published by Paladin-Press. You can by them direct from the publisher (paladin-press.com), or from your own means *cough* IRC *cough*. They are well detailed and the best of there kind, and a must for fellow information geeks like myself   Wink.

(P.S. sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but I thought that the information could prove important/informative).

IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Reply #42 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 2:47am

Im my humble opinion...which usually with a bucks wont buy a cup of coffee these days.
I am a firm beliver every young feller like me (25) has to have a grumpy old man for a mentor...mine just so happens to be a former national blackpowder champion...he also builds alot of blackpowder rifles.
My great grandad built rifles...Yes i am a hillbilly LOL.
Most of the rifles in FOXFIRE were proofed by overloading them with 3 to 4 times the ammount of powder than they would handle strapped down to a heavy object securly and fired remotely with dynamite cord. Afterward they were closely inspected for cracks and buldges.
We've had countless conversations at the local hangout round table about modifying an item to make a gun...
one of them pretty heated about a guy turning a pellet gun into a .25 caliber pistol. The steel in most pellet guns are not strong enough to handle the pressures of a cased cartridge. The guy (not the blackpowder builder but another gent) argued he used to make ZIP guns in a machine shop he worked at and they worked just fine. But he failed to hear the gentleman next to us who is missing a thumb because he was using alcholic beverages for what they were ment for and using a rifle in a way it wasn't...
Long story short...they maybe cool and may make a nice pop and crack, but body parts are to valuable to loose.
My two cents ....
Hawk

there is no knowledge that is not power

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #43 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 8:31am

yep if your in prison, and you want too kill some one, or you need a cheap concealed weapon, I would go with a blow gun. you make the dart, out of some wire, and paper, the tube out of paper, and you got your self a blow gun and it cost you all of that $1?

you can even poison it (a little gross) by taking your own well..poopy and putting it all over the dart. Makes some nice poison i hear. prisoners use it alot.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

TJTay89
Tiro

It don't mean a thing,
if it ain't got that
sling

Reply #44 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 8:54am

Yeah if you are in prision you can pretty much forget the whole zip-gun idea. Unless ofcourse the prison is in a third world country, and you could get your hands on some fuel oil, pipe, ball barings, and fertializer. Ofcourse contrary to what the movies would have you believe (Most notedly the scene in Blown Away, where Tommy Lee Jones uses gas and cotten to make a basic zipgun), when firing on of these zip-guns, if you are holding on to it there is great chance that it will either blow up in your face, or send so much of a shockwave up your arm that you can't use it agian for a day or two.

As for the basic prison weapons, I would file down the side of my eye glasses, making a dart tip. Then I would make a tube out of my newspaper and also the dart end. Should work pretty well.  If that wasn't an option, then I would take my toothbush, and a match or two and light the matches, place them over the end of the tooth brush (not the brushing end), and when it had gotten nice and soft, I would then run it on the ground afew times to get it to a nice point. Dip it in your tiolet, and you have yourself a nice little shank. Ofcourse I don't plan on ever needing to make anything like this, as I don't ever plan on making a prision my resendence anytime soon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)