Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
sling staff
Jul 21st, 2004 at 9:20am

Hi everybody!
i don't know if this topic fits here or in the "other weapons" section...  anyway related to slings.
Has anyone built/used/seen someone using a fustibal or sling staff?
Are they safe to operate?
Are they accurate?
Are they powerful?
Any tips on it's construction and usage?

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Re: sling staff
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 10:17am

Hiya Zorro,

Check out a couple of links in the Links section of this site. My web page on staff slinging is also there. My experiences with it are documentated: http://www.geocities.com/zozergames/sling.html

Have a read!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:14pm

Everyone comes on the forum asking about staff slings... they are so incredibly easy.  They are not as accurate as normal slings, but can shoot bigger rocks.  They are about as safe as a sling, perhaps slightly less so.  They are reasonably powerful, but that depends on how hard you sling, what size the rock is... just like with a sling.  Tips on construction... keep it simple, as with everything.  Don't try any fancy carved hooks or anything early on, a simple thin extension on the main staff will do, and is safer.  Also, keep the pouch simple; a split pouch will not be quite so useful here.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:37pm

Hi Miithras nice website and nice info as well,  yours look a nice place to enoy slinging a lot
I hope i can  build my own webpage soon  Smiley
I have to try sling staff, it looks very interesting...  only i was wondering if it was dangerous for the operator (me) just in line with the swinging direction... well i guess it's more or less like casting with a fishing rod, and i haven't hit myself with the lead weight  (so far)  Grin
I'll post my experiences with the sling staff.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 3:34am

Unless you are in the back of a moving pick up, and you have the staff held over your shoulder, then you won't get hit.  Honestly, it's easier than using a normal sling.  If you've seen "Return of the Jedi", when the little ewok whacks itself on the head with it's sling.  That certainly won't happen.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 4:02am

Rigid or rather flexible pole?
the longer the pole and sling are, longer range achieved, but harder to handle it, i guess... What pole and sling lenght should i try? (i am 1.86 m height)

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:09pm

Try a metre, or 1.2 metre long see if that's any good. Start longer, you can always trim it down. It must be rigid. Any bend is lost energy.

The cords should probably be about half the length of the sling, again start out long and shorten to suit the pole and your style.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:11pm

NEVER go for a flexible pole.  As Mithras says, lost energy.  The stone would probably go about three feet.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 7:00am

I think in history staff slings were used to cast hevier objects, also also in fights against ships highly inflammatory liquids (I remember a pic with some people standing on boats throwing a conainer onto a ship)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 1:05pm

Ive made a staff sling before a normal sling. its harder to learn but is much better in my opinion.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 5:16am

You might want to look at the staffsling related links and articles in the "Other webpages" and "Slinging Articles" sections respectively.

I just noticed that we don't have any articles describing how to make a staffsling.  Anyone up to writing up a nice illustrated guide?  There's a slinging.org sticker in it for you.  Smiley

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 2:42pm

Not at all historically accurate, but the thing works likes a charm!  

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 3:31pm

How much weight can the staff sling throw? Over 1lb?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 4:16pm

The one I made, easy.  I estimate the rock in the pouch at about 3 pounds, and that's being conservative.  I don't see why traditional staff-slings couldn't do the same.  Of course, I'm only getting that rock about 30 yards, & it's way heavy.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 6:18pm

Someone needs to put a video of a staff sling on here some day  Smiley Smiley. I have never seen what they can do or how fast they are.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)