Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanks for the El Dorado of Slings! (Read 1280 times)
Russell Yoder

Thanks for the El Dorado of Slings!
Jul 10th, 2004 at 9:48pm

Alas! I thought I'd never find ANYthing of worth on this subject.  Instead, I had to stumble through the interminable maze of everything "SLING-SHOT" related!  But then I shouldn't have been surprised.  Even as a kid, they always left you with the impression in "Sunday school" that David used your good all-American Dennis the Menace T-rod 'n strap against Shaq (er, Goliath)!  When I finally DID find out the truth I tried to do what you guys have....tried to rig a pouch to a couple of strings and let fly at the broad side of our barn!  My shots always flew way up on high, so I figured Yahweh was at least giving me an "A" for effort; although I couldn't have hit a GIANT if he had stubbed his big TOE on me.  I'm too OLD now to get back into the serious PRACTICUM of this matter, but my attention was AGAIN drawn to the subject by a fascinating book on the Incas that I was given.  Not only did the sling serve as the PRINCIPAL weapon of the Incan army, but without it they just wouldn't have been able to keep the HEADHUNTERS at bay who threatened the eastern approaches to their empire!!  More sobering was the report that the ritual wars enacted even in Incan times between neighboring tribes are STILL enacted today, once a year, with the consequent occasional fatalities from SLING blows to the head.  Nope I won't be going there!  But just maybe, if the sling you give to your 7 buck "contributors" is OPERATIONAL,  I'll give it a whirl!  Will be in touch soon...Thank you for providing ALL of us with the El Dorado of Slings (and we didn't even have to fight off headhunters in the steamy Amazon jungles to FIND it)!  Very truly yours, Russell Yoder

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Thanks for the El Dorado of Slings!
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 7:56am

Russel
Glad to have you with us!
Don't be a stranger to this website!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 2:51pm

Welcome !

Have you checked out the Gallery? Lots of cool pictures.

David

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 7:31am

Smiley I can only say - Great site!!!! -
I like everything about ancient times (though being really happy about living nowadays, even more the more I get to know about ancient times), especially reconstruction of ancient stuff to see how it works. And slinging is something that has been done for a really long time by now... Also I find it really it really impressive that one can cast an object so easily so far with such a cheap equipment (With the material I bought for 1 Euro I can build 10 slings).

I haven't been slinging before I came to this site, but now I tried it and  like it a lot. So, finally, thanks to the maintainers and all posters of this site and I am happy to be here.

By the way, has anyone built a trebuchet? I think this is related to slinging as it uses a sling, too. I think I am going to build one one day..

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Russell Yoder

Welcome to "the"  forum> Hope you'r liking it here. Hope you have many good slinging adventures.
     I have built a trebuchet, but it was a small working model.  I liked it because the treb uses a sling on the top of the thowing arm. Anyway, I built it out of old shipping palets, I used a chisel to make it appear as if it had been hand hewn lumber, and pined it together with small wooden pins. Looked pretty cool. Had it at work in my office for awhile, but it got to be that everyone who came in had to trow some small object with it. So...even though it was fun I gave it away. No more flying erasers.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)