From net to knit... (Read 65641 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re:  From net to knit...
Reply #60 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 4:37pm

what i would give for those... Sad

ah well, my mom knows knitting, so when i get the hang of it, i can search up instructions on (fanfare) GOOGLE Tongue

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

melliphile

What drags you out throws
you in.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #61 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:20pm

I played Go Mo Ku with my mother when I was a kid.  That's kind of a simplified version of Go.  Don't remember how to play, tho.  Kind of like Othello, no?

Anything that is of value in life only multiplies when it is given.

IP Logged

evoli
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #62 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 3:03pm

Hi all!  I just joined the site, and this knitted sling is the first sling I've ever made.  It's 70 inches end to end.   The end result is really neat, though I wish it weren't such a brilliant shade of white (No 18 white seine twine).  Did you guys dye your string?  If so, how did you do it?

Thanks for the instructions.  The curvature of the pouch looks really nice.  The knitted sling also didn't stretch the way I worried it would.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #63 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 9:37pm

I only just discovered this thread and the AWESOME-LOOKING KNITTED SLING even though it's six years old.

I learned how to do basic knitting a few years ago, enough to make some basic winter scarves for myself and family. I haven't done anything seriously complex yet, and have never even so much as done an increase, decrease, or yarn-over. These are things I must learn, in order to progress -- and evidently to do this knitted sling project.

I have to admit that I am not able to comprehend how to make this sling based on the instructions; but that's not because of deficiency in the instructions. I sure wish I could have a sit-down with Matthias and get shown step-by-step how to do it.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #64 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 12:31am

Yes, pj, those instructions are made for someone who already knows how to knit.  That's not me.  It is a beautiful sling.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #65 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 3:00am

Well, what frustrates me is that I LOVE the idea of a knitted sling,
AND I DO know how to knit --
just not ENOUGH to be able to follow along with those instructions.

I'd better try to find time to get back to the handful of knitting reference books and pamphlets that I have (including, yes, Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies!) and finally learn those other "tools" for knitting.

Like Matthias, I would like to eventually make myself a big, heavy-duty wool sailor's sweater. Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #66 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 5:18am

Evoli, how long have you been knitting? How advanced are you at it?

I'm imagining that you're pretty experienced, because the concepts described in the instructions are not for the beginner. ...

Now that I've seen that sling, I covet one! But I need to learn some more techniques first.

IP Logged

chinatime
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

shanghai
Reply #67 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:37pm

well this is just perfect for me. i just finished a teddybear and was ready for a new knitting project before i started on a sweater.lol i find its best to start on sweaters in the summer Wink !

IP Logged

evoli
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #68 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:26pm

To peacefuljeffrey: I have knitting experience.  I learned knitting 2 months ago and knitted a scarf.  I didn't know how to work increases (the "yarn overs" in the instructions) until I made this sling.

The instructions looked tricky so I used a lot of "life lines" to periodically "back up" my work on the pouch.
(A life line is a piece of string threaded through a row of knitting, so you can safely unravel up to that row if you want to fix mistake.  The life line stops the unraveling.)

The best part about knitting the sling is that it's so tiny compared to the scarf.  The pouch has just 36 rows, and only the first half had any "increases" to widen the pouch.  So I really only had to slug through the first 18 rows before I was home free!  Anyone who can knit a rectangle can probably figure out the sling.

chinatime: wow, I'm far from knitting something as complicated as a teddy bear.  I do want to knit the Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster, someday.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #69 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Peacefuljeffrey, here are a few links that helped me out with this.
The cloth shown on the increases and decreases pages is basically several pouches connected together.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #70 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:57am

JEEBUS CRIPES, am I the only sap who hasn't made one of these things?!
I friggin' learned in 2005!  Angry

When I browsed the instructions, I got LOST.
It doesn't help that i'm viewing on my iPhone because I don't have home Internet access of
late. (Video tutorials have to be on YouTube or else they're usually Flash-based and won't play on the phone.)

You have no idea how frustrating it is to have such a desire for a cool sling like that and know that you probably are a long way from being able to make it, even though you know how to do a large part of what's needed to make it. Angry

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #71 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:02am

And I have NO &@%*# CLUE what Matthias was getting at when he talked about doing special stuff to the edges, and ESPECIALLY NO &@%*# CLUE about how he fused the cord into making a finger loop!

And what makes a trigger knot?!

DAMMIT, thinking about this has me in a really foul mood. I &@%*# HATE not understanding s***!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #72 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:23am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:49pm:
Peacefuljeffrey, here are a few links that helped me out with this.

Angry
Why is she so damned stingy with the photographs?! She doesn't clearly explain HOW one would begin to knit in the other direction from that cast on; all she does is say THAT you could!

ARRRRGHHHH!!  Angry

There is nothing worse than &@%*# "instructions" that get you HALF WAY to an understanding!!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #73 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:36am

The pouch is worked in stockinette, with 4 stitches carried parallel to the edge and a curved/tapered insert for the shaping.

The pocket has a "chain" edge to stabilise the knit and give a clean selvedge. The edge is achieved by slipping the first stitch of every row purlwise and knitting the last stitch. Sorry for the terrible picture... You can also see that the shaping adds a nice amount of concavity to the pouch.

Can anyone explain that to me?

And why is it that the pouch instructions SKIP CERTAIN NUMBERED ROWS?!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #74 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:14pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:36am:
The pouch is worked in stockinette, with 4 stitches carried parallel to the edge and a curved/tapered insert for the shaping.

The pocket has a "chain" edge to stabilise the knit and give a clean selvedge. The edge is achieved by slipping the first stitch of every row purlwise and knitting the last stitch. Sorry for the terrible picture... You can also see that the shaping adds a nice amount of concavity to the pouch.

Can anyone explain that to me?

And why is it that the pouch instructions SKIP CERTAIN NUMBERED ROWS?!

The Provisional Cast On Video here is kind of confusing, but used with the other link maybe you'll understand better.

The provisional cast on makes a row of unfinished stitches at the beginning of a work instead of an edge. To make a finger loop:
  • Knit 3-stitches in the round until you have a tube long enough to wrap around your finger.
  • Pull the "waste yarn" out of your knitting to reveal the unfinished stitches from your first row of knitting.
  • Carefully pull your knitting off of the needles without letting it unravel.
  • Fold the knit tube in half and put it back on the needle alternating 1 loop from the last row you knit and 1 unfinished loop on the first row.
  • Knit the first two stitches together, knit the third and fourth stitches together, etc. for one row.
  • Knit 3-stitches in the round to make the retention cord.
  • Do not increase, do not decrease, and do not purl.

You don't need to use the provisional cast on, but it makes the fusing together part a lot easier.

To slip a stitch transfer the loop from the left knitting needle to the right knitting needle by putting the right needle through the loop in front of the left needle and slip the loop off of the left needle.

The reason that certain numbered rows are skipped is that every skipped row is done in the same way, so the instructions for the first row can be applied to the rest. This is what you do for every un-numbered row:
  • Slip the first stitch on the row.
  • Purl every remaining stitch until you reach the last stitch.
  • Bring the tail of twine between your knitting needles from the from to the back of your work to switch from purling to knitting.
  • Knit the last stitch of the row.

Does this help?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris)