SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
From net to knit... (Read 65942 times)
Fritz the Cat

Re:  From net to knit...
Reply #45 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:34pm

Thanks, I'm printing out the instuctions from this thread and a picture . I thinkit'll be fun !  8)

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #46 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:34pm

**bump**

hey matthias, im actually goin to start to try knitting tonight. Do you have a good site on Continental knitting? ALso any good references on the different stitches? I find that the knitting.about.com site doesnt cover casting on really well.. just a really quick guide...

Any tips?

Thanks

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #47 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 2:17am

I actually don't *really* cast on for this sling. I use sort of a provisional cast on (with only three stitches, you can get away with just about anything) and then frog a row or two back when I splice the finger loop into the retention cord (how's _that_ for sling/knitting gobbledygook? Smiley) When I do need a real cast one edge, I've been using a wierd looped jobby - it is the same edge you use in a knitting machine, and seems stretchy enough the way I do it. My knitting skills are probably not great for imitating though. I picked it up for a very specific purpose, and I know that the way I hold the needles/manipulate the yarn are non-standard and almost certainly slower than the "proper" methods... I've never met another person who holds a pencil the way I do either...

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #48 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 2:23am

Oooo... look at that!

http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit1a.htm

I use the "single cast on" method (apparently). I was a lace-knitter in a previous life, so maybe there was method to my madness after all. Great memory I have.

Matthias

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #49 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 7:49am

gobbledergook ? Shocked i only know one word..Bladvak..means picaxe so i'm not about to use it in case they think its a threat...(iReally gotta lay of the harry potter its getting so bad i can quote it Embarrassed )

Taiki  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 3:06pm

Bumping thread, Looks good might have to try this style out as well when I get graduated Smiley

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

David N.
Novicius

Shiny!

Hawaii
Reply #51 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 5:32pm

I've been looking around at various slings and thats one of the best ones so far. nice work. Too bad i dont knit but i have a freind that does.

I need more space...
p1r473n1nj4  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #52 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 6:16am

David,

Welcome to the forum!

shiny?  Are you a browncoat? (your avatar didn't show on my computer)

If you are, we've done the impossible and that make us mighty.

Tint

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #53 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:01am

Huh  ?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #54 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:38pm

Dale,

Browncoats are a bunch of people who loved something a little too much to let it go and fought a war that most considered already lost.  Didn't mean to keep everyone in the dark. Tongue

http://www.donetheimpossible.com/

Shiny is a word we like to use Cool.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #55 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 1:15am

No problem, Tint!  I ran into this, right after I'd tried (again) to make some sense of the  ... discussion? conversation? jumble of nonsense words? ... over in "New Canadian".  Guess I'm just feeling my age; all these things that obviously mean something to somebody, but I have NO clue.

But I am not dead yet, therefore I can learn new things! So did the Firefly fans REALLY talk the "suits" into continuing the show, after they had cancelled it?  I have just read enough to get a bare idea of the story (and the story about the story), but I don't know any details.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #56 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 3:09am

firefly is one of the best SF series i've seen (THE best beeing battlestar galactica).
firefly is wierd because you never know what to expect next, not (only) in terms of story-line, but more like: one show is hilarious, the one after is depressing, then follow the 2 grimm episodes, and than again one light hearted, but it did not seem -out-of-place- to me, it kinda functions ok.
only negative side i can remember is it beeing too short.

battlestar galactica (the new series) is my favourite, because it's more serious than any other, it does not favour any side, there is no good guys and bad guys, there are just warring sides, each with it's own best and worst.

while firefly is an SF western ( Tongue ), battlestar has more epic touch to it, with a strong focus on individuals and their lives. AND it has more episodes than firefly, and it does not seem they will stop any time soon (and by the third season it has still not shown any signs of over-exploatation)

serenity is not as good as firefly series to mee, but it's ok, considering the productional uncertanty...

p.s. it's early in the morning, that's why i'm so long-winded.  Lips Sealed

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #57 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:02am

Bring to the top, (again,) because someone asked about a knitted sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #58 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:44am

and i hoped someone will ocntinue the SF series line  Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #59 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 9:57pm

How well do the knit slings wear-in? Do they last long, or is there a problem with age and use? P.S. Fox RUINED Firefly Angry. *Down with the Alliance!*

Sorry for reviving a dead post, but I had to know.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick)