Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re:  From net to knit...
Reply #30 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 5:22pm

I just could not resist anymore, had to train my knitting muscles Grin

Now I have made the pouch, (and see where I could have done better,) and wonder, which side to use as the outside when finished....

BTW, if you use 2 stitches for the I-cord there is no need for short needles. Just move the last stitch back on the left needle after you have made it and insert the left needle in the stitch left on the right needle, less bothersome, you can use full length needles if wanted and less likely to make mistakes.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #31 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 7:03pm

Oh man, Willeke's going to be done before me... I only have 20cm and a knot left. Tongue

With the pocket from the above post, the edges curl under when seen from the knit side of the stockinette. I put the rock on this side ("smooth" side) with the purl facing out, and the curled edges act like extensions of the I-cord.

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #32 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 1:54pm

Done  Cheesy

Now I do have time to cook dinner, I had to finish before that. This was the first knitted sling, but I see where I could have done better, so after dinner I might start the next  Roll Eyes

So the purl side out it is.

Matthias, did you realise that to knit and to net are often used to describe the same thing, making a net?
In Dutch we use the word 'breien' for both.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #33 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 5:20pm

Ahah! but I have photographic evidence!

What are you going to change Willeke? I made this pouch 2 rows longer, but stuck with the three stitch I-cord, trying to make a close replica of the original. Look forward to seeing photos of the "evolved" version (and the other one too Smiley)

Matthias

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #34 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:10pm

I'm going to get ready and start doing pushups on my fingertips . Grin I'm making knitting needles out of bamboo chopsticks . 8)

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #35 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:14pm

I can't believe this is actually making me interested in knitting! Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:15pm

Its interesting and the slings look cool . I could use a bit more info . Maybe some pictures of someones hand doing the 1, and a 2 , and a 3 and on and on. The sequence would be cool . Cheesy

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 1:15pm

Fritz,
This is a site I found real helpfull. For me it is the english abbriviations that where hard, but this site will also help you with reminding you what to do, or even teach you a bit.
http://knitting.about.com/library/blabbreviations.htm

Matthias,
I do mostly just change things I had done wrong. Like I did not make the stitches the right way and got the little holes. So now I do a string over needle in the row before and turn the loop the right way to make a nice extra stitch.
The only real change is that I have a central strip of 2 stitches to go with my 2 stitch I-cord.
And the first knitted sling was of netting cotton, this one is corse string, maybe hemp, and a little thicker.
I will make photos when finished, but not before.

Willeke.

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #38 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 10:10am

I'm currently in the Psych ward at the VA hospitabe in Battlecreek. The volunteer workers have agreed to show me how to knit and I'm going to show this thread to them so they will know what techniques I'm looking to acquire . I need to keep this thread near the top so its easy to find so please help me keep this thread active . Are ther any new discovered techniques besides the ones in this thread you would like to share with me ? 8) I'll be starting in a couple weeks........

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #39 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:52pm

yeah a couple of daysago i bought a book on knitting just the basics and a few 'simple' patterns they Really menat basic  Undecided they just tell you how to start and do 2 stiches and they don't really tell it in a way i get the idea  Undecided and then they use stiches Never explainde in the patterns  Shocked needless to say i didn't leanr much Sad and i really wanted one of those slings..and a cloak Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #40 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:54pm

I found out that I can print up the instructions from this thread at the VA library. Some elderly ladies will show me how to knit after their vacation. Since I can't access any stones I guess the sling will be OK. What do you think ? 8)

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #41 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:10pm

sounds like  plan. have fun! if there aren't any rocks, try to mold it around a raquetball, as that's a pretty good size for slinging rocks.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #42 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:22pm

Quote:
yeah a couple of daysago i bought a book on knitting just the basics and a few 'simple' patterns they Really menat basic  Undecided they just tell you how to start and do 2 stiches and they don't really tell it in a way i get the idea  Undecided and then they use stiches Never explainde in the patterns  Shocked needless to say i didn't leanr much Sad and i really wanted one of those slings..and a cloak Grin

Stick with it guys! I'm very happy that Willeke managed to goad me into making another! Smiley

Cloak eh? I'm still working up enough steam to tackle a sweater (rugged manly sweater). Knitting is pretty much just a combination of the two stitches the book was showing you (knit and purl, almost certainly). The "fancy" stitches are just variations, like going through two loops at once - if you can figure out how to do a simple square of stockinette you can handle the rest.

Best thing to do at first is to make a swatch about 12-15 stitches wide using only knit stitches. The fabric that you end up with has funny horizontal ridges, but if you work a dozen or so rows, your hands will figure out what they are doing a little better. Next try knitting the alternate rows using purl stitches (yarn is held in front of the work instead of behind). The swatch will be smooth, with the front showing the little "v" pattern typical of knitting.

Once you have _that_ mastered, the only other tricks you need for this pattern are increases and decreases. Decreases are easy - instead of working one stitch at a time, you just poke your needle through two or more, you just need to be a little more careful as there is less room to maneuver. There are lots of ways to do the increases, but some of them leave little holes. These are the most complicated stitches in this pattern. The type that I used in my sling are twisted yarn-overs, which should be in the books or webpages. Normally, a yarn over (easiest stitch of all!) leaves a big hole, that is often used in lacy patterns. If you put the needle in from the "wrong" direction though, the hole twists into a little figure-eight shape, and the fabric is nice and solid. I chose this stich over the other options as the nylon I was using doesn't have much give.

Matthias

There a few little tricks that knitters use to make complicated shapes look nicer. Although I've written the pattern using the same stitches on the left and right sides, when I made the sling I mirrored the decreases. When you get to the point of practicing increasing and decreasing in your swatch (everyone is practicing first right? Wink) you'll notice that increases "slant" the knitting one way. I wanted the pocket to be symmetric, with the column on both sides slanting out, then in, so on one side I used a k2tog variant where you slip one stitch over onto the other needle, then knit the other loop before passing the slipped stich back. The pattern will still work if you don't do this, however...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #43 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 1:18am

I found this site very usefull, it has the abreviations but also explaines with pictures.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blabbreviations.htm

Taiki, I am happy to do a knit session in Dutch, but will not have time till the slingmeet.

Willeke

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #44 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:48am

thats ok i'll just keep a lookout and if i'm none the wiser you could still help me afterwards  Grin or perhaps the time hass come to go visit the grandparents again Roll Eyes Lol

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris)