From net to knit... (Read 65638 times)
WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Re:  From net to knit...
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 8:48pm

Hey SnapCut,

Make me one of THOSE knits slings and send it to me to write an article on  Wink Wink Wink

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 5:37am

I think I am going to ask (beg) the woman to swish me one of those up (heck, she can make a braided sling in under half an hour).

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:15pm

That's very impressive, I someone who's a knitting fanatic!
I wonder if I can get her to teach me....
-unsapien
Undecided

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:47pm

I wish my mother was still around to teach me how to knit . Great sling . I've got some tarred twine too . How much twine did you use ? 8)

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:02pm

Nice sling Matthias.  How long did it take to make?

My grandma knitted a sling for me once but it wasn't very strong.

My brother teaches GO at a board-game-club.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:27am

Quote:
How much twine did you use ? 8)

Not sure... I'd guess about the same amount that would go into an 8 strand braid, +some extra for the pouch. Maybe 30m? Not too much anyways. You can figure it out pretty quickly once you start knitting - just measure out a couple of feet and see how long of a cord you get.

Timewise, it's been a while but I'd guess it probably took me 2-3 hours as a spectacularily slow (but practiced, if that makes any sense) knitter. The pouch is has some tricky bits with the shaping, but any knitter would be more than happy to show ou those bits. There is lots of knitting info on the web (I'm self taught).

I can almost guarantee that any knitter that someone asks about knitting will be more than happy to talk about it for hours and show you the three stitches required. This is a bit of a tough project to convince someone else to take on though. Knitting heavy twines isn't as nice as fluffy wool!

Knitting is a good survival skill too. Grass mats, blankets and such go together fast once you know the tricks.

I've mentioned it before but this was my all time favourite sling...

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:55pm

Then why haven't you made a replacement?
Every time I see this thread I am tempted to get my knitting needles.
But there are so many things more I want and need to do......

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:58pm

It's on the needles! Really!  Roll Eyes

I'll post some pics of the new sling. My main problem is that I dislike doing the same thing twice, and I *really* want one identical to the first Tongue

Bad form though. I'll finish it off, time the knitting and double-check the intructions. Watch this space...

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 12:06am

Ok, I'm half done, and it took me a bit longer than I thought - close to two hours. I probably spent a good chunk of that figuring out how to join the fingerloop cleanly. Duh - I wrote it down right there in the instructions... my projects would progress faster if I didn't have to reinvent the wheel at every turn Tongue

So far so good. The pouch instructions are accurate!

Thanks Willeke!

Matthias

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 5:48pm

You mentioned 4mm knitting needles. How sharp are the points ? 0.5 spherical radius perhaps ? How long would you recommend . I'm afraid I'll have to make my own knitting needles . Good thing I enjoy this kind of work eh ? Would wood suffice or should I steal my dogs large bone ? Smiley

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 7:15pm

Quote:
You mentioned 4mm knitting needles. How sharp are the points ? 0.5 spherical radius perhaps ? How long would you recommend . I'm afraid I'll have to make my own knitting needles . Good thing I enjoy this kind of work eh ? Would wood suffice or should I steal my dogs large bone ? Smiley

Wood/bamboo should be fine (nicer, even) I'd try to see if you could find something to slicken them up a bit. Maybe wax them after sanding smooth? The tarred twine is a bit of a hassle with the residual stickiness. Bone would be pretty cool!

You need the points small enough to work the stitches. My needles taper for the last 16mm down to about a 2mm "ball". Too sharp and  you need to be a little careful not to split the yarn with the points.

To knit the I-cord, you need (two) double-ended needles, since you slide the work to the other end rather than working back and forth. Mine are standard 9" aluminum ones. It is a tradeoff - longer might be nicer to work with since you can tuck one end under your arm, but on the other hand, with all the sliding the short needles are nice. If I was making custom needles just for this project I'd probably make them 12" (or however long my material was, more likely Wink )

Hey I'm just about done the replacement. It looks like the total time is going to be closer to 5 hours. 1 hour or so for each cord, 2 (didn't seem like that long) for the pouch, and an extra hour for loops and fancy knotwork. I answered some email and had the usual interruptions during that time so there you go. One thing I can say that knitting has over braiding is that it easy to put down and pick up where you left off. Nice and tidy, with only one (ball of) string to keep track of! You can very easily break a project like this into a number of short sessions.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #26 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 6:08am

You can easily make knitting needles if the wood fits in a pencil sharpener.
First sharpen the dowel like you would a pencil, then blunt the point on a piece of sandpaper, it should still be a point, but like a bullet rather than like a pencil.
Use the sandpaper to lightly sand you needle if it is rough and then rub it with oil. THe best oiling you can give it is using unwashed wool. If your first knitting project is selfspon wool you will get the best knittingneedles you have ever seen.
If you can not get the raw lanoline (in the sheeps wool) you can use the bottled kind. Lacking that try any oil that will dry out with out getting sticky and is pleasant for your skin.

Making your own short needles is a good idea, but it is posible to buy short needles, they are used in Irish knitting, to make the cables and alike. Needlecraft stores often sell them, in different thicknesses even, but mostly as set of 2 different sizes.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 7:14am

I am pretty broad minded and enjoy making various items of mayhem and survival, but I am not making "knitting needles". Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:47am

If anyone asks just says they are poison darts - no excuses Wink

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 3:21pm

If you are built like Arnold Swartznegger whos going to ask if you are knitting ? Just flex the muscles in one of your knitting fingers .  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2006 at 6:34pm by Fritz_the_Cat »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)