Slinging Style (Read 1069 times)
ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Slinging Style
Jul 9th, 2004 at 11:45am

I was wondering what everyone's slinging style is.  Personally mine is overhand slightly tilted, much like a baseball pitcher's throwing style, with no wind-up....works good for short rannges.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Re: Slinging Style
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:17pm

I've tried many, many styles, and have found out two that I beleive are the best (at least for me):

If the target is near, like 20m (65') away, I use the overhand throw. But not with the style shown here in the articles. I start with my hand slightly in front of me, but still of course enough on the sides so the sling won't hit me. Then I quickly swing the sling (not the hand, at least not much) backwards in an arc, and release the projectile at the right moment. I've found this to be the most powerful 'target hitting' style on close ranges. The only minus is that it's easy to swing the sling in a wrong way, resulting in a sore hand next day.

On long ranges I use the greek underhand throw, but still not quite as shown here in the articles. At the end of the swing, I use all (or most of) my strength to simply lift the sling straight upwards. It increases the speed of the projectile tremendously, although it makes it a bit harder to control the vertical direction of the projectile. And that's the reason I don't use it on short ranges.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 4:00pm

I use a underhanded fast softball pitch. I figure if women can throw a huge softball very fast with this method, it will work for me too.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 4:12pm

I had been using an overhand throw with a sling measuring from my elbow to my ankle.  After playing around with Nwmanitou's figure 8 toss, I've switched to a shorter sling and that style for close-up target practice (10-30 yards -- I still can't hit anything to save my life, but I'm missing more consistently) and an underhand whip for distance.  After a little practice, I found that the underhand whip with a shorter sling was getting the same distance as my overhand with the longer sling.  My next experiments will be with a longer sling (again) and underhand-sidearm-diagonal toss.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)