Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
slings in modern warfare (Read 8223 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: slings in modern warfare
Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 2:03am

Hey Justin, email Chris at info@slinging.org and let's get you sorted out login-wise. It would be nice to be able to keep track of your posts!

Matthias

If someone wants to delete this post after a day or two has passed or Justin has checked in, feel free! Otherwise I'm going to axe it Thursday...

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #31 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 4:10am

hmmmm Nobody mention moctovs, the IRA has been hurling them for years

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #32 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 12:45pm

Don't mention? It has been, several times, and French 240cc beer bottles work best. However, I saw at a museum a few weeks back that egg sized and shaped hand grenades were in use by the Germans about 1916- perfect size and weight for my sling!
Justin

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 4:59am

Quote:
In WorldWar II, Germans had a grenade on the end of a throwing stick, that ended up being called by the GIs a "potato masher" because of it's appearance.  mgreenield
I believe the stick is integral to the mechanism, and if it isn't, then the charge would be quite small, looking at the size of the head.  The stick would certainly give longer range.
   "Moctovs" [sic] have indeed been mentioned in a few other posts, I'm sure.
  I haven't been slinging any eggs, so I don't know about the shape being perfect, but I know the size would be good.  Interesting.  My worry about using grenades would be if the lever or another part of the mechanism of the grenade caught on the release cord of the sling.  Imagine that.  You'd need quick reflexes - you could probably get it out of range by letting go of the retention cord - but I think that would work best with a toggle rather than a loop.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #34 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 8:36am

well pardon me on the moctov comment ,then.
It seems that about grenades: I remember reading some thing about  tying a string to the pouch and then to the pin of the grenade that the power of the realease and weight of the grenade pulls the pin. don't remeber where I read this and have never tried it. even though one could with trainer grenades

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #35 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 12:55pm

You would have to bend the pin almost straight for that to work. Also, i would think this would throw off your accracly doing this way. But it does sound better than pulling the pin the placinc the granade in the pouch and hoping that it does not go off in the wind up.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Aug 28th, 2004 at 1:52pm

"Better off".  Unless, of course, you don't manage to get it out in time.  But I suppose in a desperate situation, it would be more advantageous to be more accurate and slightly more at risk than wildly inaccurate and less likely to kill.
  However, it is highly unlikely that most people in this forum will ever have to use these methods - unless a redneck somewhere manages to inspire anarchaic support throughout America and starts a second American civil war.

Could happen.

IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #37 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 5:37pm

Didn't mean to piss anybody off with the reminder that molotovs and slings have been discussed. Did somebody have a crap day at the office/abatoir/mall?

I'll say it one last time, I promise, channel five news here in Britain, bunch of kids and men, kid on end with a grenade in a sling, lever down. Must have known what he was doing...

Anybody read that essay from the Israeli officer and slinging grenades? It got posted on the thread "help me find this article". Pretty cool. Take a read.

Justin

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #38 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:35pm

What about a grenade designed to go off on impact?  Obviously it couldn't be super-sensitive, because of the g's, but you might be able to fine tune a small sling-grenade to go off when it hits something at sling-speed: 100-200 mph.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #39 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 9:43pm

I don't know how fast a normal sling projectil goes but i kinda doubt 200 mph. When i sling my dummy granade, it was so heavy that i don't think you could get it to go very fast. but that was just me.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #40 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 2:39am

Quote:
What about a grenade designed to go off on impact?  Obviously it couldn't be super-sensitive, because of the g's, but you might be able to fine tune a small sling-grenade to go off when it hits something at sling-speed: 100-200 mph.  

My father was in the spanish civil war (national side) they used different types of grenades and he kept at home 3 models (w/o detonator and explosive)  we used to play with. these were the models.
BREDA 35
S.R.C.M. ROMA
OTO
this 3 models were detonation by impact (all way action fuse) detonation mechanism was set on air once you take of the pin and launch the grenade so at least this three models were interesting for sling launching.
you can take a look at this three models and other models used  at

http://www.armas-guerracivil.org/granadas.htm

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #41 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 7:09pm

Did he ever mention using or observing a sling firing these grenades?

Chris

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #42 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 7:32pm

He didn'n mention. He was in the national side regular army machine gun squad, they had good supplies of almost everything, slings were rather used in the republican side where supplies were scarce and  soldiers were prone to use a lot more imagination as last resort. But as  lot of country boys of his age he knew how to make a sling and use it.
He told me he used slings and blowguns when he was a kid, but he didn't mention using the sling at war.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)