Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
slings in modern warfare (Read 8224 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
slings in modern warfare
Jul 3rd, 2004 at 12:45pm

Does anyone think I sling would be of some use to use as a grenade launcher, it's much more portable and light then the huge M16 types...

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Re: slings in modern warfare
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 1:59pm

I remember reading that the sling was used to throw hand grenades in the First World War in 1914-1919, and in the Spanish Civil War in 1936-1939. But I think it was probably used because there were no "huge M16 type" grenade launchers available. True, a sling is more portable and light than a proper grenade launcher, but then again it's more difficult to hit the intended target with a sling, and you could even accidentally toss the grenade on your own feet!  Shocked

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 2:04pm

Don't go there gentlemen.  Wink Lips Sealed  8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 3:08pm

Now you guys are talking about something I know more about than slings.  A sling COULD be used as a grenade launcher BUT, hand grenades would have to be used as apposed to the 40 mm M203 ammo (the huge M16 type) and the fuse would have to be longer since you couldn't predict whether or not the sling pouch would hold the release spoon on the grenade.  I'm not sure if as soon as you let go of the grenade to sling it if the spoon would pop possibly pushing the grenade out of the sling.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 4:36pm

I have a dummy gernage. I might try it to see if it would fall out easliy. I won't throw it very far because i want it back. Keep you posted.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 4:49pm

I tried the dummy granade. It worked really well in my sling. The granade was a US standard issue dummy pinapple granade. Since, it was a pinapple granade, it stayed in my pouch very well. I was concerned about it flying back ward but it had a good feal to it. I didn't throw it very far, but i think you could get some real distance with it. I do think you would need a longer fuse time. I however don't know what the stanered time is. I think it is 15 and 30 seconds but i don't know for sure.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 5:27pm

The standard time for a U.S. grenade is 5 seconds plus or minus a second.  Does you dummy grenade have the spring still in the firing mechanism?  I was sure that the grenade would fit, I just wasn't sure if the spring in the firing mechanism would push the grenade out of the pouch.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

justin Ball

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 5:53pm

HEY! A few weeks back I posted about this...news item on channel 5 here in the UK about Iraq. I distinctly remember seeing a group of men and boys with some nasty weapons, and on the far left, a kid, maybe 11-13, with a sling with a grenade in a pouch, lever down. Look in the thread about fireslings.

I visited the tank museum in Devon a few weeks back, and found some WW1 German egg sized grenades...just the right size for slinging.

Anyhow, isn't there a story/article on this site about an Israeli army officer teaching his troops how to make and use slings for throwing grenades. He must have been one of the 1972 Antebe air lifted Jews, because I remeber him writing, "...this is how we learn to throw grenadeds in the..." oh damn, my heads gone blank again...anyhow, I found it the first time I visited this site.
Justin

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 6:33pm

I had no problem with it leaving the pouch. It was so heavy it didn't want to leave until i let it go. You do have to put it in there balanced, that is the key i think to properly throwing a granade. The spring do you mean the leaver? I have never seen a spring in the granade. The top does screw out so i have look at the firing mexanism. I didn't see a spring. Maybe it was taken out to help demilitize it. If you guys want to try with a dummy granade go to your local Army surplus store. They usally have some there for about five buck. If i was going to practice throwing it i would paint it orange to be able to find it.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 6:52pm

The level is called a spoon, dunno why but that's what I was told.  The spring is in there to swing the hammer to begin the fuse.  i didn't think you dummy grenade would have the spring and hammer.  As far as I know dummy grenades sold to civilians do not have the spring and hammer in them.  But sometimes people get thier hands on stuff.  The more I think about it the more I think its possible to sling a grenade so long as you get the Gs high enough to cause the wieght of the grenade to hold the spoon down.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 9:00pm

As heavy as a granade is, I think you could easliy keep the spoon down.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 10:34pm

Yeah, I say so.  But I'm a little paranoid so I teld to dwell on what can go wrong.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 3:21pm

Interesting topic...
Quote:
...news item on channel 5 here in the UK about Iraq.
You get Channel Five?  My reception gets really fuzzy.  I think I may well write to them...
I think you would need real balls of steels to go about doing this (not writing to channel five, slinging grenades).  You'd have to be really sure of your slinging skills.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 3:33pm

The casualty radius of a grenade is 5 meters.  It's still dangerous beyond that but it loses it's effectiveness as a instrument of death.  So you had best sling it farther than 15 meters if you hant to come no injuries what so ever.  I think that when I get into the Army this coming Fall I might give it a try with a simulator grenade.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 4:23pm

Quote:
So you had best sling it farther than 15 meters if you hant to come no injuries what so ever

Is there no risk to get a hit with any splinter in this in this case ???

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)