Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Atlatl (Read 10156 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Atlatl
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2004 at 12:38pm

Good point, but only relevant if you are using a flexible atlatl, like a basketmaker, rather than just a flexible dart.  I use a basketmaker as my main atlatl, and I think I have the flex pretty much perfect with a round beach stone with a single flat face.  You don't need to bother with any of this if you use a stiff atlatl, which is probably the most useful if you are learning to use the atlatl.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #16 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:25am

If you're looking for more information on atlatls on the internet, you may want to check out Tom Mill's "Paleoplanet" site. Just Google "Paleoplanet", it'll come up. I'm Terrorstrike on there, by the way. We focus on several different aspects of palaeo-life, aside from weapons, though. I've been building, designing and using atlatls for some time now, and I've always preferred to use natural materials, if for no other reason, I like the feeling I get from sticking to the aboriginal ways. Although, the world record holder for distance with an atlatl threw a dart for 848.5 feet using a carbon-alloy atlatl with an aluminum dart. In light of that fact, however, my favourite atlatl of all is a poplar wood, walnut stained hybrid type coated with beeswax, with a rawhide secured mule deer tine spur and double fawn suede wrapped handle that I made myself in less than two hours. Looks beautiful, and performs well. In fact, I've never need to fashion any sort of counterweight or bannerstone, though I know Bob Berg swears by them. So, my advice is stick to the natural materials, personally.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #17 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 12:08pm

do you have any pics of the would record atlatl or know the website were it is?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 2:02pm

Sorry mate, I've never seen any pictures or heard anyone make mention of any even existing, but it's obviously well documented that "Dave Ingvall of St. Joseph, Missouri, USA on 15 July 1995 in Aurora, Colorado" proved himself to be the world's best man at throwing an atlatl dart with a distance of 848.56 feet.

http://www.flight-toys.com/atlatl.html is one site has posts this info, if you're curious.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 4:24pm

That's a hell of a long way.  Poplar you say?  Interesting.  I've always liked maple though.  I tend to try and find a natural spur now, because I had a spur break off and the dart hit me on the side of the head.  I tried birch once, but that was horrible.  I think I will stick with good old English field maple or Norway maple.  I like the colours on the wood.
  I'd agree with you about natural materials.  I like primitive technology mostly because it is totall self-sufficient - I don't have to rely on other people at all, and if I used man-made materials I would be doing that.  I also like to use beeswax as a sealant on the wood (for most things.)  I like bees... honey, wax... If I were to keep three wild animals, they would be chickens, cows, and bees.
  You might like to try a weight sometime - they do seem to add something to the cast.  I can't explain, but sometime, you just feel something extra going on there.  But I'd agree that most often you don't need them.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #20 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 7:22pm

Aye, poplar.  I find it's a good, light wood with a parallel grain and few flaws, knots or burls. stains well, and holds its colour. Pretty inexpensive, to boot! I had a spur break off on me one day. First atlatl I ever made; I spent several nights on it, so I got upset and just started gouging away at the spur channel I had carved into the head. Lo and behold, I gouged a deep trench in the firing head, which resulted in a loading channel. I deepened the angled hole in the back of the trench, and tapered the proximal tips of my darts so they would slide into the now V-shaped rear notch and pretty much load themselves. With the rear end braced into the hole in the "chamber" I don't even need to hold them in place to fire them. Wonderous accident, really.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 5:00am

Interesting.  I never buy my wood, just cut it off nearby trees (don't worry, I really do know what I'm doing - I always make sure the tree can't get infected, and most often by the next growing season, the tree is fine, and the tree has grown over the scar.)  My preference is Norway maple rather than field, but either will do.  Norway maple is quite scarce here, but if you look in the right places, then you can find some nice trees.
   I find also that a natural spur is good because it means less work, and co-incidentally fits in with the "Do-Nothing Approach" of another post.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 2:30am

the Atlatl guys are one of the reason finding this site was great for me.
the Atlatl people will argue you blue in the face when it comes to slinging
It is really good to find other people who share my
enthusiasm about the sling.
they will try to convince the atlatl has better range and every thing else. granted it is a great weapon.
but can it fit in your pocket.
If you want to meet atlatl Bob I understand he go's to the rabbit stick gathering every year in Idaho
it happens mid sept. I beleive

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 4:32am

The atlatl does not have better range, not at all.  The sling could easily outrange an atlatl by at least a hundred, even if it was a novice vs. an experienced atlatlist.  However, the atlatl is far more deadly.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #24 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 5:36pm

Quote:
the Atlatl guys are one of the reason finding this site was great for me.
the Atlatl people will argue you blue in the face when it comes to slinging
It is really good to find other people who share my
enthusiasm about the sling.
they will try to convince the atlatl has better range and every thing else. granted it is a great weapon.
but can it fit in your pocket.

I am an atlatlist first and foremost but I readily admit that the sling posses a far better range. Just the other day I threw a fire clay projectile 115 yards, more than 20 yards farther than my atlatl darts. And I do love how you can stuff it into your pocket and viola! you have a concealed weapon. But for pure lethality, you can't beat a weapon, that with pure force of impact can knock a 40 pound animal off its feet.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #25 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:11am

have you ever hit a forty pound animal with a quarter pound sling stone you might be surprised. I am not admitting to any thing but you might be sursprised

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:24am

It all depends where you hit it.  I guess with a slingstone if you hit the front shoulder of an animal, then it will drop, just as with any weapon.  But an atlatl will easily kill most animals with ease - especially if it hit the shoulder.  I know which one I'd trust, but if a sling was all I had, then....

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #27 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 8:03am

I've often discussed buying a beef cow and letting it loose in a field where my friends and I could hunt it with atlatls. It would be significatly tamer than say, an auroch or a buffalo, but with all the barriers and conditions set on hunting, not to mention the cost, you kinda take what you can get. But I would love to one day be able (both legally and financially) to hunt a buffalo with an atlatl. Been a dream of mine for years.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:11am

Buffalo?  You really must be dreaming.  It is theoretically possible to hunt elk, moose, white tail, that kind of thing, with an atlatl, because they are not protected.  But a buffalo...

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #29 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 12:00pm

You can hunt buffulo on some of the native american resorvation. They have huge wild herds you can hunt.  with lots money of corrse.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)