and web sites about it or instructional web pages

also any hints or suggestions

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: archery help
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 4:15pm

If you happen to live near a wood, it is totally free. Wink
It is not as hard as it seems if you know a little about wood.  And it depends what bow you intend to make that affects the level of difficulty.  There are some great lists of good bow woods out there, but the best in Europe are Elm and Yew, in Asia, mulberry, in America, Hickory, Osage and a couple of others.  Birch and ash are also quite good bow woods.  One cardinal rule, the only one I can think of right now, is not to cut into the sapwood on the back of the bow (unless you are making a backed composite.)  The reason is that cutting down to the grain means that splinters will rise up in the wood, ie, the bow will develop a fret, crack, whatever you want to call it, and break, if not immediately, then pretty quickly.  If there is anything you don't understand here, then look it up somewhere, there are lots of resources out there.  Some good books are Longbow by Robert Hardy and the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers by Jim Hamm and Steve Allely, I think.  Ask if you need and more pointers, hopefully someone here can help you out.

IP Logged

chris S.

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 4:50pm

ok thanks any more help would be greatly appreciated

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 5:03pm

go here, they have all the supplies, books, videos, kits, and just about anything else you'll need to make your own archery equiptment:

http://www.threeriversarchery.com

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 5:51pm

Get the book,"The Bowyers Bible, Vol 1". It will have it all on how to start. Self bows(all wood bows) takes a little practice, but you will soon be able to make them with your eyes closed! I've now moved on to Asiatic recurves. I'm now sinewing a Mongol bow that has me really excited. I'll get some pics up when I finish it.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 10:02pm

It can be as cheap and has expensive as you want to make it. My first bow was cut for free and i did all the work with a scrhade sharp finger knife. So i only had at the most $20 dollars in the knife. Take my advice, a good bow can be made with just a knife.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 1:10pm

And a nice looking bow needs only sandpaper and a knife.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner)