Send Topic Print
Sling braid choice (Read 1275 times)
wxn
Novicius

Lithuania
Sling braid choice
Jun 17th, 2004 at 8:57am

Hello everyone.
So far I've been using a ~26" sling with parachute cords. Very low drag, light and stiff. But a lot of people here seem to like braided slings, so I decided to make my own and test it out Smiley
I've read both articles on making a braided sling and already tried most of available braiding styles. What braid would you suggest for the pouch and for the sling itself. I like the round four-strand braiding as it is simple enough and pretty stiff. Also, is there any good way of adding additional strings to braid just before the pouch to make it thicker?

Sorry if the topic was already covered in this forum earlier, my search skills suck.

Nothing is as simple as it seems
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Sling braid choice
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 11:29am

For the pouch, I've had the best luck taking an extra string (make it looong) and looping it around the strands from the braid -- divide them into two groups, then four, then eight, until you get the right width.  For adding strands, just thread them through the middle of the braid, 2-3 rows up from where you left of, and let them hang down, half on each side.  Then braid them in by doubling (quadrupling, whatever) up on each 'element' of the braid.  A better solution is to add extra strands to the core of a round braid with core, but that's a bit trickier.

IP Logged

wxn
Novicius

Lithuania
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 12:25pm

You mean something like this?
Yeah, I'm a bad drawer Smiley

Nothing is as simple as it seems
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 4:23pm

Um, kind of...  I know a picture would explain it better, but I'm graphics impaired right now.  Let me see if I can make it clearer.

You're doing a four-strand round braid, right?  Basically, two strands cross over,  then the other two strands cross, then the first two, then the second two, etc. -- unless you're using the over 2/under one method.  Either way, when you look at the braid, you see two threads crossing back and forth across each other, and two more threads doing the same thing, but going in and out of the loops created by the first two threads.  Hope that makes sense.  Just take your extra cordage and poke it through one of those loops -- right through the middle of your braid.  Then pull the cord(s) through, so that the center of the new cord is the part going through the braid.  Then let it hang down with the 4 elements you're already working with -- you've just added two more elements (if you stuck one cord through).  Then you can double up with the cords you're already using and they become part of the braid.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, & I'm no good at .jpgs.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris)