Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cestrosphendon: the easiest way (Read 9658 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Cestrosphendon: the easiest way
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 3:29pm

Thanks Hodero for post something back. Sometime I feel like I am not even here. First, how heavy was the bolt or arrow you used. Wouldn't a heaver one over come the drag. Would you even need fleching if the string was behind it? Would the string at as the flechings and make enough drag to keep the dart steady in flight?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 4:33pm

Quote:
I tested my dart, attached to the piece of cord in the centre of gravity and whirled that. I noticed no problem with the arrow orientation. That one pointed itself immediately and was staying in that position pretty stably, even during a slower windups.

Jurek

I had never tried it before, but you are right... it works!!
The drag on the fins orient it very well. The problem would be, maybe, not in the windup but in the snap. As we all know the windup is only usefull to tighten the cords, but the proper momentum comes from the snap. The snap modifies suddently the circular trajectory and the speed then is so high that the dart could not follow well oriented the movement of the hand. The difficulty is to see clearly what happens during the snap. But as David Engeval throw his dart this way, so it can work too.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 4:42pm

Quote:
Thanks Hodero for post something back. . Wouldn't a heaver one over come the drag. Would you even need fleching if the string was behind it? Would the string at as the flechings and make enough drag to keep the dart steady in flight?

A heavier dart would overcome better the drag but the range would be shorter. All depend on your purposes. You can also remove the fins and the string will orient the dart, but it will oscillate at first and the drag will be more.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)