Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging experience - The power of a sling (Read 6124 times)
Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Slinging experience - The power of a sling
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 4:22pm

Aw, shucks, folks -- Group hug!?  C'mon, group hug! Grin Wink

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 5:37pm

No mudd SLINGING either.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:26pm

While we are on the topic of dumb things:

I am a real dog lover. Our Golden Retriever is part of the family, but he makes such a good target in the back yard I can't resist. I only use tennis balls and do not sling real hard. He has fun running around avoiding them if he can. Well, one day he was about 35-40 yards away and I knew I would not hit him so I let one fly real hard. Yep, I nailed him right on the end of his nose Undecided He jumped a mile and spun around trying to see what just bit him.  Shocked

He told me he still loves me but, now when he sees my sling he gets right up to me so I can't sling at him. Grin

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 10:31pm

Well, I have a really good one.  Not about slinging, but maybe better.

It seems that one day when I lived way out in the country I was on my back porch with my .22 rimfire target rifle.  I was, of course, shooting targets that I had set up way out in the back.  Well, I see this shadow on the ground moving very fast.  It came from behind me and was moving straight ahead of me.  I looked up and saw a very large Turkey Vulture (wingspan in the 8 foot range, and very heavy bird.)

Birds have incredible hearing.  We have a bird here called the American Robin.  It finds worms on the ground by hearing where they are.  Most birds have this kind of keen hearing.  I wondered to myself, "Self, I wonder if that vulture could hear a bullet whizzing passed it?"

By this time, the vulture was about 50 meters away and at least that high off the ground.  I pulled my rifle up and got the vulture in the scope, crosshairs right on the bird.   I lead out in front of the vulture about 3 or 4 meters and fired a shot.

Of course, you know what happened right?  POOF!  Feathers flew in the air as the bullet grazed the bird's belly.  It wobbled in the air wildly for a few seconds the flew off unhurt.

It is illegal to kill a bird of prey in my state and I fervently abide by the hunting laws.  Boy, did I ever feel bad.  I told my wife and she said, "I can hear you explain this one to the game warden, 'Honest, warden, I was not trying to shoot the bird; I just aimed at it and pulled the tirgger.'"

She was right on.  I did something stupid and it almost ended very badly.

jeff <><

P.S.  Before anyone flames me for hunting or such,  be warned,  it would be an unwise thing to do. Angry

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 10:58pm

Jandro,
Glad you learned this without anyone getting hurt.

The scariest thing I've ever had happen with the sling was a couple of years after I started.  I was at the lake with my family.  A great time to chuck a few.  My 10 year old daughter was about 50 feet to my left.  (Well out of the line of fire.)  A stone hung in the pouch.  I will never forget the icy feeling in my stomach as I watched the stone whiz by her head.  I nearly gave up slinging.  Even today I am leary of slinging with others around and always conscious of where they are with respect to the line of fire.  It is best not to have anyone downstream of the spin direction.  Rogues rarely get released early, and seem to be a result of hang-ups.  (ie for me as a righty I try to avoid having spectators to the left when doing an over-hand cast.)

Never do anything with a sling that you wouldn't do with a gun.  And even without doing things we shouldn't the sling can still be dangerous.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 7:57am

Let me again recommend the vertical underhand delivery.  The missile may go high or low, but almost never very far to the left or right of the target.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 11:24am

And friend of mine and I have both tried underhand deliveries and, even thought we've got it down now, we both tended to hook our stones far to the left when we were first learning -- more so than I ever did with an overhand cast.  I guess it depends on the individual.  Then again, using the overhead "helicopter" style was sure to send everyone diving for cover.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 11:40am

....you're hooking the shots because you're bringing your hand across your chest when you release.   Think "bowling", and dont try to muscle the shots, and they'll straighten right out for you.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 3:12pm

In general, I use different casts for different purposes.  An underhand cast works great for tossing a rock at a tree a hundred yards away.  But to hit a coffee can at thirty feet I prefer the overhand "helecopter". 

I still find that made one out of every few hundred or so casts is a potential rogue.  The scary thing is that with the underhand cast this means that the stone may go straight up or even land behind you.

This makes it absolutely imperative that you know where your spectators are BEFORE you cast.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 4:29pm

I forgot one last point, ...use standard ammo.

Golfballs - pretty light & unless you put backspin on them in a great overhand delivery, they seem to take a dive.

Tennis balls - weight better, fly true & unlikely to do damage, but need sling with a "fat" pocket.   The big pocket gives tennis-ball slinging a "big glande" feel.

Racquet balls, etc - Dont know because never tried them.

"Roll-your-own" glandes in rounds or footballs in clay, lead, etc, at standard weights.  I like 65-grams.   These are absolutely THE best.  Almost scarey, the range and consistency you can get.

Run of the mill rocks are just too irregular to give predictable slinging results.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 5:15pm

I typically use stream-tumbled quartzite cobbles.  The road that I live on was made by laying down a thick base of these before it was gravelled. So the bar-ditch is full of them for about a mile on either side.  In other words a life-time supply.  I usually collect these by the bucket-full, selecting by round smooth stones that fit the palm of my hand.  In general I get very consistant results from this ammo.

You guys have really inspired me to try man-made glandes.  I hope to get around to making some from concrete in tennis ball molds in the next couple of weeks.  I'll post the results of my comparison.  (After that I may try cast lead.)

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 6:32pm

Not much of anything more beautiful than a football-shaped glande heading downrange like a small rocket, point-first with rifle-spin & not a wobble on it.   Almost make an old slingster get all chokey  Grin

Easy to do with vertical underhand delivery.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris)