Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging experience - The power of a sling (Read 6120 times)
Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Slinging experience - The power of a sling
Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:12pm

This is a story of the real life.

One day, I was slinging in my school (I know, I know...) two days after I started slinging, and my accuracy was something good, but not at all.

I told my friend: "Hey, I'll throw you a stone", but I was just joking because I thought my accuracy was too bad.

I threw him the stone with much power (you could hear the sound), and it went directly to his head, then I quickly thought: "HE WILL DIE!". It was really strange because the time went really slow.

My friend quickly avoided the stone and I was really happy because nothing happened.

After that, I was just thinking what could happen to him if that stone would hit him. Also, I promised to not throw stones to the people because it is really dangerous.

Comments?

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Slinging experience - The power of a sling
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:20pm

My first thought was, how can he do somthing so stupid!!! Joke or not; What was he thinking about??

And then I thought how dare he write something like that? If I have done such a stupid thing, I would be too embaressed to even write about it.

I´m so glad, that nothing happened!

Ulrica  //mother to two kids

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:14pm

Important safety tip!

Yesterday, I was slinging with my knotted-rope sling -- the one that doesn't hold on to rocks very well.  I had the perfect sling stone, brought from the landscaping in my yard.  I loaded the stone,  started off with a fast wind-up...  and the stone left the pouch.  I looked behind me -- no stone.  To each side -- no stone.  I shrugged, thinking it must have skittered off at ground level or something.   I picked up another stone.  I was about to load it into the cradle when (wait for it)  the original stone crashed into the ground, about 5 feet away from me.  It must have gone almost straight up, and high!  That's when I switched back to my braided, somewhat more secure sling.  The thing is, even when I thought it'd gone off at ground level, I was afraid to look up.  I can just see myself looking towards the sky for an errant stone -- just in time to see it up close, landing on my nose!

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:43pm

i usually bring a handfull of .54" lead balls with me to my spot to use at the end of a session when i feel like i'm 'good'. one of my targets is a dead tree along the creekbed.

the few times i've hit the tree (approx. 5' across @ 30yrds.) the bullet has sunk in about 2-3 times it's own diameter, so approx. 1-1.5 inches!

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:50pm

My long sling is notorice for slinging stone up high and behind me. I have almost hitt my truck several times becauses of the longer sling.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 3:04pm

Some of the chalk pebbles I sling literally exlplode into fragments when they hit another rock or stone. Nasty!

On 'rogues' I usually adopt a suitable crouched position with my hand over my head!!!

When I'm slinging with my son we have a system: a rogue stone means the slinger responsible shouts 'STONE!' at the top of their voice!!!!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:56am

Quote:
I told my friend: "Hey, I'll throw you a stone", but I was just joking because I thought my accuracy was too bad.

Wow. This reminds me of what my father once said: "Never underestimate the stupidity of man kind".  Cheesy

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 10:44pm

To Ulrica
The life is full of stories, and I'm not embaressed about it. And that wasn't stupid, tha was cool, because nothing happenned but he experienced something that not much people can experience.

To Ensfor
This wasn't the stupidity, this was my accuracy. And I'm NOT stupid, and before you say something like: "I bet your IQ is 1", that's not true, my IQ is 129.

And after doing something like that, I reflected too much about it, and it prove that God exists.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 3:43am

I've got a feeling I shouldn't be answering this, but I can't help myself.

Quote:
To Ensfor
This wasn't the stupidity, this was my accuracy. And I'm NOT stupid, and before you say something like: "I bet your IQ is 1", that's not true, my IQ is 129.

So slinging a stone "with much power" as you say, at your friend is not stupid? And if was "cool" like you say, then why did you later say you won't be doing it again? Well, I think we'll let each reader of this thread decide what he or she thinks for themselves. And as you yourself have proven, intelligence is no antidote to stupidity. Wink

Quote:
And after doing something like that, I reflected too much about it, and it prove that God exists.

Say what now?

I'd ask you to elaborate, but I don't think that's a debate we want to get ourselves into...

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 8:43am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let us be kind to our new friend Jandro, shall we.  The quotient of our intelligence notwithstanding, we have all done foolish things, have we not?  A bit of compassion would not hurt here, as we would ask the same if we too made a rash move with our slings.

That said,  a sling is like a gun in some respects.  First, never point it at something you don't want to hit; it might just happen.  Most of us have hit something with a stone from a sling and know that the potential for damage or harm is great.

Let us then, as wise and aged slingers, warn our young and inexperienced friends of the dangers of underestimating the power of the sling.  And the dangers of overestimating our power to prevent calamity when misusing the sling.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:03am

Quote:
Let us be kind to our new friend Jandro, shall we.  The quotient of our intelligence notwithstanding, we have all done foolish things, have we not?

Of course we have, me included. Smiley But we don't learn from our mistakes unless we recongize them as such, that's all I'm saying. Smiley

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:30am

Maybe we can learn from other's mistakes too. I am sure everyone here has a story were they did something unwise with a sling (or other weapon).

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 11:47am

Somebody once told me that it's not important what mistakes we make, only how we react to them.  Don't know if that's true or not -- guess it depends on the mistake -- but like my friend, the pilot, says:  "Any landing you can walk away from counts as good."  I think Hollering at Jandro about how stupid it is to sling at people is kind of redundant.  Sounds like he's already figured that out.  No blood, no foul, no attempts to replicate results.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 1:19pm

Okay..
But he wanted reactions and comments, and that was what first comes to my mind.

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 2:37pm

I wanted comments but not those comments that make people feel bad, you know what I mean?

And, if you didn't know, I alredy recognized that that wasn't a good action. Why did you think I said to not do it again.

And for Enfors, I'm not doing that again because someone could get hurted, but think on that: The same thing happens to you, and you don't get hurted, how do you feel?

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)