Send Topic Print
unplaited pouch? (Read 1360 times)
rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

unplaited pouch?
Jun 13th, 2004 at 4:34pm

found this site:

http://ibiza.comagenius.com/wassermanibiza/sling.html

about Ibizan children making slings in 'gym' class.

they talk about a three plait braid and making the pouch section by simply leaving that section unbraided.

anyone tried this? results?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2004 at 9:14pm by rob »  

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

BuboNulus

Re: unplaited pouch?
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 6:05pm

Heya all...

Yeah, tried it with 3, tried with 4 . And i use 2mm rope, also used for climbing-stuff.

With a pretty, flat knot, the 4-naked-strands version has a nice release. 3 is somehow asymetric, not really my preferred version. (dumped her in the river, coz the sling slipped of my finger, big rock cought the pouch.. ouch)

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 11:45am

I've tried it with 3, and I've tried a knotted rope version with 5 (the way I knot the rope, the cradle will have an odd number of strands).  I find that they work quite well as long as you 1.  make sure the missile is firmly seated in the cradle and 2.  accelerate evenly throughout wind-up and release.  Sudden accelerations or an improper seating will send your glandes careening of in unexpected directions.  Of course, I'm throwing lots of oddly shaped, rather small rocks.  Larger, more glandes-shaped rocks work better, and the football shape works better than spheres.

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 5:40pm

tried mine out today: 38" overall w/ 4" unplaited pouch section, 2mm seagrass twine.

worked great with roughly golfball sized smooth river stones. the cast felt much easier than my longer slings. perhaps because the seagrass is fairly stiff.

stone placement in the pouch took some fiddling, but i had no problems with stones coming out as long as i used a smooth backswing and single rotation.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)