Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Braided Slings vs. Cup/Leather Slings (Read 4024 times)
Tommy
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Braided Slings vs. Cup/Leather Slings
Jun 12th, 2004 at 5:32pm

How many people here prefer braided over leather? Vise Versa
I was wondering which would be a better for a beginner. I've discovered that:

-braided works well with golfballs but not with common found rocks

If anyone has any ideas or anything interesting post it!  Grin

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Braided Slings vs. Cup/Leather Slings
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 9:12pm

Are you speaking about the pouch when you say braided or leather? Do you mean a pouch that has the pouch braided into the sling as apposed to a solid leather pouch that is attached to the cords?

I like the braided cords stitched through the one piece leather pouch. It holds the tennis balls or stone securely and I have only had a stone slip out when I was trying to sling one that was bigger than tha pouch.

I would say for beginners, the sling I described above (Jeff's 20 Steps type sling) would be the safest to use.

IP Logged

Tim
Novicius

Wark

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 9:58pm

As an animal sympathetic vegetarian, I'm not too into leather.  What I use instead is ducktape.  Cheap, kinda tacky, but works great.  My pouch is pretty different from both leather and braided.  The problem I have with the leather is that when tention is put on it, it just folds in half, and doesn't give a nice cup for holding the ammo in.  With a cupped pouch however, it doesn't always release nicely because the ammo can't come out streight.
My pouch has two strings that come in on each side. the duck tape is wrapped around them with a space of about two inches from each string.  (The strings are parrallel with the rest of the string going up to the fingure loop)
I like this pouch because when presured, it creates a nice pocket, but when released, it looses that shape.

I'll try and get a photo up soon, but I don't have immediate access to a digital camera.

OnlyTheTim  
IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 10:08pm

I started out with leather.  I wore a couple of those out over a couple years.  After reading articles written by James Burdine I began making braided fiber (nylon).  I don't think I'll ever go back to leather.

At various times I have made satisfactory slings out of Parachute chord with leather pouches (my hiking kit contains both).  Last year I experimented with Yucca fiber.  I found it stiff and really didn't have the patience to properly process it.

It is very nice to know that slings can be made out of many materials including duct tape (how about some detailed description/pictures).

All in all I've never found anything that I like as well as braided nylon.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 10:48pm

Doesn't the duck tape tear quicker than leather or a braided sling? If it does why use it.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 11:21pm

Ok completely new to this so please be patient but in the articles section there are instruction on how to make a braided sling that shows no pouch what so ever. How is the ammo held in this? Am I simply reading the directions wrong? It would seem to me that the ammo would simply fall through the opening.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 11:40pm

Welcome S_Allen!

I believe you are talking about what is termed a "Split Pouch" The projectile must be large enough or laid cross ways in the pouch or it will slip through the split as you said. Many of us ordered a Peruvian, hand braided split pouch sling and you can view them in our Gallery. Though they have a split pouch, you will see that they could be used to sling stones since the woven pouch,though split, is more substantial than the braided one you are probably referring to.

I made one from the instuctions you read and only use it now and then for slinging tennis balls. Even tennis balls have to be carefully placed in it or they will slip out before the desired time.

IP Logged

Tim
Novicius

Wark

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 6:11pm

First of all, I have never had the duck tape tear.  Second of all, the beuty of ducktape: if it tears, who cares! (hey, that rymes!).  If the duck tape begins to wear thin, just add another layer.  or you cant cut out the old pouch, and add a new one in a matter of minutes. Also makes for a very adjustible sling.

OnlyTheTim  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:39pm

Duct tape is great!

I use it on the release cord where it connects to the pouch to keep the concrete from cutting through the cord over time. Just replace it every now and then.

I also us it around my finger where the finger loop causes blisters. I also put some on my index finger where the release knode blisters my finger. Even though I am a trim carpenter and my hands are fairly tough, when you sling 100 plus chunks of concrete in 30-40 minutes it can do some damage--especially in cold weather. It  c r a c k s  the skin.

Yep, love that duct tape. I have said many times that I was going to write a book called: The Many Uses of Duct Tape

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 11:08pm

Quote:
Welcome S_Allen!

I believe you are talking about what is termed a "Split Pouch" The projectile must be large enough or laid cross ways in the pouch or it will slip through the split as you said. Many of us ordered a Peruvian, hand braided split pouch sling and you can view them in our Gallery. Though they have a split pouch, you will see that they could be used to sling stones since the woven pouch,though split, is more substantial than the braided one you are probably referring to.

I made one from the instuctions you read and only use it now and then for slinging tennis balls. Even tennis balls have to be carefully placed in it or they will slip out before the desired time.

Thanks for the info, could you be so kind as to tell me where to get a peruvian sling?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 1:02am

S_Allen, there is a person that ordered some braided slings from peru not to long ago (sorry I don't remember who). I was wondering if that person was ever going to import some more for some other people who didn't get one or who wants another. You could put me do for two right now. S_Allen the price is very cheap for these slings also.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 6:44am

Quote:
S_Allen, there is a person that ordered some braided slings from peru not to long ago (sorry I don't remember who).

His nick is Whipartist, he is one of the moderators here.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 4:04pm

Whipartist is there going to be any future orders from Peru?

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 7:02pm

I would be interested too.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 3:21pm

I'm also intrested, assuming that the slings were better than average self made slings.
With one sling I would learn to make more of the same kind. With two slings I would dare to use the other one.

By the way, what kind of a sling will I get if I contribute the $7 to slinging.org ? Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)