New sling style (Read 1197 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
New sling style
Jun 12th, 2004 at 2:25pm

As many of you know, I have been around here since last summer some time.  I started making slings a year and a half ago with the "20 Steps..." method.  I even modified the pouch and instructions slightly and Chris put my article on this site.  I like the "20 Steps..." slings a lot.  They are fun to make and quite good.

Recently, I started making a new style of pouch so the strings could be more easily replaceable. Here are some pics.

The first one is made of 7 ounce veg tanned leather with a saddle colored stain and a good coat of neatsfoot oil.  I just got a spool of burgundy paracord and put the cords on it.  The finger loop is 4 ounce double split leather (very comfortable)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d833b3127cceb0764bb2a4f90000001610

Next is some that I have put cords on also.  They are made from a variety of leather.  I tried to use the same lleather for the finger loop where possible.  The cord is #72 nylon seine twine (1/8" diameter).
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d833b3127cceb0764bbea4f50000001610

Next is some loose pouches, some with finger loops.  These are all cut from scraps, some even imprinted with words.  The red, blue and beige onces are 7 ounce leather.  The second from left on bottom is 7 ounce veg tanned, the others are softer (I even reinforced one).
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d833b3127cceb0764bbd25c60000001610

All of these pouches are 2 1/2" wide and either 5 1/2, 6 or 6 1/2" long.  they have a split in the middle 1 1/2" long.

A while back Mike Greenfield asked what we thought about stiffer pouches as opposed to softer ones.  The 6 and 7 ounce veg tanned leather is making some very stiff pouches, but they are great when throwing.  They don't hold on to the stones on release, but the are rough enough on the inside to hold the rock while spinning.  They will soften over time, but never get real soft. I like the way these heavy, stiff pouches are working.  The light cord works well also.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: New sling style
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 4:17pm

Nice!

Nice looking stuff Jeff! What type of knots do you use on the pouch and finger loop?

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: New sling style
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 9:55pm

David,

I have found that two diffrent knots work best: the 1/2 blood knot at the pouch ends and 1/2 of a double fishermans knot at the finger loop. 

The 1/2 blood knot is the typical knot used to secure a fish hook to monofilament line.  Pass the cord thru the hole then lay it beside itself.  Wrap the end around the standing part at least three times the pass the end thru the loop on the back side of the pouch.  Pull tight.

The fisherman's knot is a bit more tricky and needs an illustration to fully show you how.  I don't have one large  enough to put here.

On some, I have made the loop knot by slipping the cord thru and simply tying a figure eight stopper knot.  This makes the loop open for easier finger access when the loop is small.

For the release cord I just use a figure eight stopper knot.  Any good, bulky stopper knot will do.

If you don't have a good knot book, look on the web.  Or get yourself a copy of Clifford Asheley's "Book of Knots".  The single best resource on the topic!  My sister gave me for Christmas a copy of Geoffrey Budworth's "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework", it is nowhre near as comprehensive as the name implies, but the illustrations are photos of someone tying the knots and are excellent.  It is a great book and I refer to it often (mostly because I lost my copy of Ashely's book.)

Hope this helps.

jeff <>< who likes tying knots

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)