Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do-It egg mold? (Read 1528 times)
rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Do-It egg mold?
Jun 7th, 2004 at 10:19am

i'm sure this must have come up before. Do-It brand 'egg' shaped lead sinker molds. they are actually symmetrical and  they go from 1oz. , in a bank of six to 12oz. in a bank of 2. sounds to good to be true. what am i missing?

examples:

http://www.srmo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=D1174&Catego...

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Re: Do-It egg mold?
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:45am

This sounds very interesting. Anybody who understands this kind of thing care to comment?

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 11:06pm

Understand? Maybe not.

Care to reply?  Definitely.

Check out the Memphis Net and Twine Company. 

They have all the supplies except the lead.  If you live in the states you can go a tire dealer and maybe get some discarded wheel weights for free or cheap.  Melt them in a pot and pour into the mold.   3 or 4 ounce eggs or cannonballs should be about optimum for most slinging situations.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 12:43am

Is lead difficult to melt? What's the easiest way of doing it? Does anybody know at what temperature it melts? I have access to plenty of lead. I could probably get an actual ton of it if I wanted, because I know a guy who runs a recycling company that has to pay to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2004 at 4:13am by Enfors »  

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 6:32am

lead melts pretty easy (621.3°F). my experiences are mostly w/ roundball moulds for muzzleloading. usually a small ingot in a 'dipper' over a campfire.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 3:49pm

When pouring lead, apparently you have to have two holes in the mold; one for receiving the molten metal, and one for letting the air flow out.  If you don't, then you get terrible shapes with bubbles in them, and all kinds of other problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick)