Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Found the perfect slinging spot (Read 5155 times)
Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Found the perfect slinging spot
Jun 6th, 2004 at 12:38pm

Up until today, I've had no really good places to sling. But today, I found a great spot just 15 kilometers from where I live. It's an old quarry, but it seems abandoned. It's big, and you have a clear field of view so you know you won't risk hitting anyone. The boundaries of the quarry consist of high sandy slopes, so even if I make my own ammo out of concrete, it won't shatter when I throw it into the slopes. And the bottom of the quarry is littered with smooth rocks of suitable size. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sling without interference there.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Found the perfect slinging spot
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 11:05pm

Hello Enfors,

Sounds like you found a great place! I found a concrete plant a half mile from my home. On the backside they have piles of recycled concrete. It is rough concrete but unlimited in supply. My son and I go there often and sling for as long as our arms allow.

I wish I had smooth stones to sling. I have some pictures of the place on the "Gallery" page.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 11:54pm

I envy you both.

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2004 at 11:59am

I found a big pit out next to some industrial supply warehouses.  I think it's an old dumping site for flammable waste, judging by the warning signs.  Lots of rocks, but they're almost all too small, and the shapes are irregular.  Still, with a stream nearby and few to no people wandering around, it's like slinging paradise on a Saturday morning.  5 minutes away from my house (by car)!

IP Logged

Tim
Novicius

Wark

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 10:50pm

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to slinging.  Me and my friend threw a couple of rocks with an old fish bag in maine once, and ever since then, I've been developing new methods.  I just looked it up online and found all this.  My sling is very different from anything I've seen here:
I braid three strings to make a long braid (about seven feet) then find the middle.  In the middle I cut one of the strings in the braid, and tie it of a little ways, so that there is a space with only two strings.  Then I wrap ducktape between those two strings for a pouch.  I haven't really had a good chance to try it, since I live in the city.  All I get to do is throw tennis balls in the parks.
I'm pretty impressed that I figured out the whole release method with fingure loop and all. but perhaps my pouch could use some work.  Any suggestions?

OnlyTheTim  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 2:53pm

Welcome Tim,

I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture of your sling.  Email me it if you can: info@slinging.org

Chris

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 7:27am

Can I show you my slinging spot?? I'm incredibly lucky!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/Digital_Camera_Downloads_1...

and ...

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/sling1-thornwickbay.jpg

A resemblence to Robinson Crusoe??? Did he sling?

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 8:03am

Beautiful spot Mithras!
Look at all those smooth stones!
You are indeed the "Mad" slinger!
I'm totally land locked living in middle Tennessee, so I can just dream of slinging by the ocean.
Johnny
PS-Are those Viking longships in the distance?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 12:53pm

Hi Johnny,

Strange you should mention Viking longships! That headland in the photo is Flamborough Head, once so heavily settled by Vikings (and called Flaneburg) that it used to be called Little Denmark. The local fishing boats from here right up north to Whitby are called cobles and are in effect miniature longships, made in the same manner and style exactly as the Viking vessels were. Not too many about these days, but they are still to be seen dropping crab and lobster pots off the coast.

Here's some from the cove just around the headland:

http://home.pacifier.com/~qayaq/images/coble_lineup.jpg

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:07pm

Mithras
They do look like longships!
My wife's family comes from Yorkshire of Norse descent. Her maiden name is also found all over Norway and Sweden. We want to visit Yorkshire in the future.
I would think most people from that region would have alot of Viking blood in their veins!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:48pm

True, Johnny, very true. Someone pointed out to me at school (where I work), just look out at assembly time and spot how many blonde children there are here. A good portion of the school children are blonde! Of course people have moved here too (like me and my sons) but it is rather startling.

What's you wife's maiden name? If you don't mind me asking ...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:01pm

Her maiden name was "Eidson".
My wife as well as her sister and brother are very "Nordic". Blonde, fair skinned and blue-eyed. I joke that they would have made very good poster children for Germany's "Hitler Youth"!!!
In contrast, I'm dark headed and olive skinned(maybe because of the Welsh,French and Indian(Pawnee)blood). My son looks like he just got off the boat from Ireland: Redheaded, fair-skinned and blue-eyed!! I think I'll keep him anyway!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

BuboNulus

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:29pm

well, that's my baby to hit with rocks..

http://www.taube-radfreunde.de/Fotoserien/Donau/fot10.JPG

although ya shouldn't reacht the other side.. because of the street.. *cough*

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 2:42pm

What river is that? Doesn't look like the Mississippi river to me!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 2:04am

Quote:
Her maiden name was "Eidson".

Not to nitpick, but... I just checked the complete Swedish phonebook (it's available online), and there's not a single Eidson in there. And since Sweden lies right next to Norway, I'm sure we'd have plenty of Eidsons here if Eidson was a common name in Norway.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything (sorry if it came out sounding that way), it's just that the name doesn't sound Scandinavian, so I decided to check. Are you sure you got the spelling right?

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)