Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingers on TV (Read 1716 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Slingers on TV
May 30th, 2004 at 10:07pm

Just thought I'd pass on that the Canadian Cancer Society is running a spot on TV up here that heavily features slingers.

The spot starts out with a young boy standing alone in a field, confronted by a looming shadowy presence (DvsG). As it approaches, he drops a sling from his clenched fist and stoops to load a stone. He then stands and takes up a defiant stance, before starting a "helicopter" (doh!). The camera then slowly pans out to reveal another slinger, then another, then a few hundred - pointing out that those facing cancer are not fighting alone.

If it wasn't for the helicopter, I thought it was well done. Now if only the kid had been allowed to let fly on the second windup!

Matthias

Edit: I just found a link...

http://www.cancer.ca/vgn/images/portal/cit_86751114/34/24/200189961cw_slingshot_...

I sort of wish I had a cover track. The flourish when he drops the sling is nice. They did a good job of the slings too... good length, braided thongs, wrist retention loop and leather pouch (though the pouch is a little big for my taste)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Slingers on TV
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2004 at 1:56am

How cool is that! Shocked 

I would have loved to have been part of that.  I would have had us all slinging together like an ancient army. 

I've mirrored two lower quality versions:
http://www.bestweb.net/~hesham/slinging/CanadianCancerLow2.mov (QuickTime, 1/4th original file size)
http://www.bestweb.net/~hesham/slinging/CanadianCancerLow2.mpg (MPEG)

Chris

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2004 at 7:02am

Wow!  Slinging style aside, it's a great ad spot!!    To most folks the scene with everybody winding up is the right ending.  BUT true-blue slingsters would have preferred to close with a hail of stones heading down range.    I suppose underhanders to stage left.  Overhanders to stage right.  Side-armers to center stage.     Many tnx Matthias!!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2004 at 9:44am

That is a great ad! My favorite part is when the kid drops the sling. Kind of like when Clint Eastwood throws back his poncho to reveal his six-shooters!!
JOhnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2004 at 12:20pm

Quote:
My favorite part is when the kid drops the sling. Kind of like when Clint Eastwood throws back his poncho to reveal his six-shooters!!

Exactly! I need an "oh #$%@ maybe that was the wrong thing to do" gimmick / soundtrack. It would make meetings a lot more fun... "Where the heck is that darn whistling coming from?! And what are you grinning about?"

Matthias

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2004 at 1:18pm

Pretty cool. I agree with MG. I could only get the low2 to run... at the end are they standing in a colum formation? If so the guys up front need to worry about their rear guard as well (friendly fire isn't;D).
Incoming glandes have the right of way...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)