Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spooky Sling Stories (Read 1314 times)
BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Spooky Sling Stories
May 28th, 2004 at 10:32pm

I shot a sling-stone in the air, where it lands....

Today I was out practicing and was on a small slope hitting another slope about 50 yards away from me at base of the hill.  The top of the hill across from me was about 60 yards.  Most of my shots were healthy and speedy lobs using an overhand technique kept within a 15 to 20 yard imaginary alley way. Some these shots had a good and flat a trajectory as I wanted and others lobbed high but kept the same range.  The area in which I was shooting is an area once inhabited by an aboriginal people 3000 years ago and stone artifacts I suppose could still found here.  There is a museum about 50 miles from me which has many artifacts from this very location. Drill bobbins, bannerstones, milling stones, hand axes and hammerstones. Anyway, I sometimes think and Imagine if any of these people had bagged a bird, lizard, rabbit or similar beastie on the very ground I was practicing.  Other thoughts inbetween shots were of an old movie made in the 1950's which has detailed scenes of sling warfare called 'Sodom and Gommorah' with Steward Granger, Pier Angeli and Stanley Baker.  Although some of the techniques seen in this film do look kind of silly, there are a lot different slingers and styles used in the film. I think it was filmed in Morroco, so they probably had advisors for the scenes involving sling warfare.  Now most Hollywood techinques I would not even want to emulate, (e.g. that dangerous to others around the slinger silly looking helicopter swing), but if one looks carefully at this film underhand, overhand, side-armed, multiple and single rotations can be seen used in it.  Back to my experience in the field I had picked up what I think was a piece of Stearite, about a little more than a quarter pound heavy, black and little smaller than my fist, it was time to take the lower ground.  I walked down into the flat prepared my shot, fwoosh, looking down range I did not see where it landed. So I figured on preparing my next shot I turned around to look for another stone and turned around again facing downrange and in front of me about 10 to 13 yards my black stone returned to earth with a thud. All this took place in what I think was about 2 to 4 seconds.  Perhaps Aeolis or one the Mojave wind Gods was examining my stone, or God himself was teaching me a lesson. Believe this story if you want to, or not. There is a moral in it: Pay attention to what you are doing, don't daydream, watch your shots terminate downrange.

Happy Slinging

BarneyRubble

Quote:
Quote: Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them. - Hamlet to God, Ghosts and Himself

IP Logged

BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Spooky Sling Stories
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2004 at 10:50pm

Please excuse me for the type of stone quoted I meant Hematite, or magnetite.

Quote:
But when the wind is Sotherly I know a Hawk from a Handsaw. - Hamlet to Horatio

IP Logged

BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2004 at 12:24am

Oh, my failing Academic pride.

Please excuse me once again for my butchery of Shakespeare on the last reply.  Hamlet was addressing Rosencrans and Gildenstern.

Quote:
  We know what we are, but not what we may be. - Ophelia to Claudius

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2004 at 12:26am

I'll have to see if I can get hold of that movie.

Chris

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2004 at 1:42pm

I can't remember slingers in Sodom & Gomorrah ... when its next on TV I will tape it and check it out.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)